oil leak on Altea, Is it the turbo?

paulnichome14

:confused:Hi everyone Im new to the site and in need of some advise.
Ive just replaced the alternator belt last week on a 54 1.9tdi altea, when i took it to the garage it was obvious alot of oil was present to the left hand side of the engine (where the belt is) the mechanic gave me the horror story of the turbo and after cleaning it he's told me that the leak is on the seal. and quoted me £975.00.
A friend of mine who has had a similar problem says there is a gasket repair kit available and may do the job. Can anyone help?

paulnichome14

it is mate, theres not alot coming out and after another opinion he reckons it might not be the turbo. Honestly I dont know what to do?
Do you have any advice?

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
it is mate, theres not alot coming out and after another opinion he reckons it might not be the turbo. Honestly I dont know what to do?
Do you have any advice?

same problem with mine.. Worried that it might be the turbo myself!
Had my pipes off and cleaned them last week, put better clips on etc etc and a week later it has all started again.. :(

Other members are suggesting try installing a catch can... and today i think i found the guilty pipe..

Toxic - is the pipe in question on the top of the 2.0TD next to the oil cap? small pipe which goes into the air intake pipe? Pulled mine off today and it was full of oil.

With regards to the smoke problems i have had. Did my own service today and included oil and fuel filter.. Smoke problems still exist! Should i just accept that its a TDi and i have just never noticed it before?

Cheers
Chris

Toxic - is the pipe in question on the top of the 2.0TD next to the oil cap? small pipe which goes into the air intake pipe? Pulled mine off today and it was full of oil.
Cheers
Chris

Yes. this is the Engine breather pipe. it is not just Oil fumes that go out but Splashes of Oil. its a bad design that needs an Oil Catch Can. this will stop Oil runiing downing into the FMIC.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Yes. this is the Engine breather pipe. it is not just Oil fumes that go out but Splashes of Oil. its a bad design that needs an Oil Catch Can. this will stop Oil runiing downing into the FMIC.

Now i know where the pipe is it doesnt look such a hard task to do...

only two hard parts are A: finding somewhere fro the tank to go... and B: getting the existing oil out of the FMIC!

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
my catch tank is next to washer bottle top. The problem is not the siting, its getting the pipes to and from it and the correct sizes. The waste pipe if you vent to air needs to be trailed back a way behind engine otherwise you find yourself at traffic lights watching the clouds of steam/vapour, especially when the sunlight catches it!

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
my catch tank is next to washer bottle top. The problem is not the siting, its getting the pipes to and from it and the correct sizes. The waste pipe if you vent to air needs to be trailed back a way behind engine otherwise you find yourself at traffic lights watching the clouds of steam/vapour, especially when the sunlight catches it!

Didn't see these two posts! been working away in Leeds all week so not had much time on-line! Only another day to do!

CrispDust: you have a 2.0TDi dont you? Have you got any pics of your setup at all??

Cheers
Chris