oil leak

Apr 3, 2021
London
I have a 2015 1.4 Petrol Seat Ibiza which has developed an oil leak. It looks like it is coming from the crankshaft seal, but I could be wrong. It is definitely coming from the timing belt side on the driver's side.

If anyone can give me any help I really would appreciate it. Many thanks

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It is quite possible that it is the crankshaft seal, is it dropping onto the crankshaft pulley and being thrown around the engine bay area?

Another area where that engine used to cause leaks, but hopefully your one is too new for that is, one of the port O-ring seals for the oil separator, when that leaking oil mist escapes and ends up on the lower surface of the inlet manifold before dropping down.

Apr 3, 2021
London
The crankshaft appears to be loose. Its has a lot of play in it. Its floating back & forward. Surely this can't be right?? Would the trust bearings be worn?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've never replaced just thrust bearings by themselves so I can't say. Looking at the VW parts cat there is a note against the mains and thrust bearing, no VW Group part numbers and "see workshop manual". The big end bearings are listed though.
So maybe some known and expected issues associated with replacing main and thrust bearing!

Sounds like someone had been a fan of keeping the clutch pedal down at all times when in traffic.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I'm pretty sure the bottom end of the 1.4 16valve engine can not be dismantled? Yes, sounds unlikely doesn't it and the first time I heard of this I thought my leg was being pulled, but, it would seem that if you strip the mains the bottom of the engine goes out of line so when you reassemble it the crank journals lock up because the mains are not in line anymore? Anyone able to confirm this, my knowledge on this one is by no means certain. However I have heard of another engine, during a "pub type" conversation which the speaker claimed suffered from the same curse.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
@Crossthreaded, well that would tie in with the lack of part numbers and "see workshop manual" in the parts listing comments.
Yes Rum. you can do big ends, but what good that is when you can't remove the shaft to get it reground I don't know? I believe the bottom end is only available as a complete assembly?

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
Petrolhead, what code is your engine? The following are from Elsawin for engine code CPTA.
Crank 1.jpg
Crank 2.jpg

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Thanks for that vw.man. Pretty much confirms what I understood to be the case. Just slackening the mains is enough to allow movement which then renders the bottom end unusable! Purely as a matter of interest, as I'm unlikely to ever own one, are the mains caps of the "all in one" cradle type configuration or are they separate? I could perhaps understand the distortion if they are an all in one cradle design.

I don't actually have one of this family of engines. At this time I'm, slightly nervously, running a 3 cylinder direct injection 95hp EA211 and before that I had one of the old VE series (pre PD) 1.9 tdi. which was a truly wonderful engine - I don't feel so confident of the wee turbo petrol though. We've also had a couple of 1.9 PDs and a 1.6 CR in the family I liked the PDs but wouldn't give garage space to another CR.

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
I don't know is the short answer! Perhaps someone else with more knowledge of this engine can help.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.