Oil smell inside car when driving.

STUARTY-B

May 25, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland.
Hi,wonder if any one can help,getting a smell of hot oil coming through the vents when I'm giving it the beans above 100mph(private road )when I drop it back down to 70mph it seems to go away.no lights are coming on and it seems to be running fine apart from this,any idea guy's ?

STUARTY-B

May 25, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland.
yeah my first thought check all the pipes in and around the intake manifold (few underneath)

also the y piece on the rocker cover there all prone to breaks and do exactly what you say

Thanks,will try and have look over the weekend,am not the greatest at under the bonnet stuff :D

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
It's the breather system well known for leaking I have a diagram at home I can post you the link later if you are stuck

STUARTY-B

May 25, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland.
Hi,had a quick look this morning,only thing that I could see was the top breather pipe on top of the rocker cover
is loose(could pull it off even with the clip on it)all the other clips seem tight and hoses seem fine,maybe this?
Took a pic but need to wait till finished work to find out how to upload it.

Last edited:

STUARTY-B

May 25, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland.
null_zps1a1b7e4f.jpg

The clip on the top hose on the rocker cover is in place but its not tight,will replace that with a jubilee and see how things go.do you think that would cause the smell?

Last edited:

Azza_

Sep 17, 2008
South Shields
thats the y piece, check around it feel for splits, also he pipe it connects to at the bottom of the pic check that and follow it under the inlet

have a feel for oily pipes which indicate a split breather, and if that clip is loose take it off and replace it with a decent jubilee clip

STUARTY-B

May 25, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland.
Np Azza thanks,a did notice that just below that pipe where it goes into the rocker cover was abit oily so will get a new jubilee clip for it.will have a better look over the weekend.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
I was getting oily smells when booting it, for me it was rocker cover gasket - I think they are starting to fail fairly regularly now with the engines hitting higher mileage... The combination of high revs / oil pressure causing the oil to leak and the extra heat when driving hard used to make it smell a bit.

Changed gasket a few weeks back and haven't noticed any smells since.

STUARTY-B

May 25, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland.
Just a wee update,replaced the loose clip with a new jubilee and thought that was it till I had the chance this morning to give it some beans and the oil smell was still there.Had another look on my lunch break today and there's a split on the Y piece,god knows how I missed it its about an inch long.
So am I better going to a local dealers or eBay for the new part and has anybody got the part number handy.

Thanks Stuart.

STUARTY-B

May 25, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland.
Got the Y piece delivered this morning but thinking of waiting and ordering the bottom pipe and doing it all in one just incase.looks a bit awkward to fit the bottom one through all the rest of the pipe work.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members