Oil trouble !!!!!!

revlimit

Hi Guys i changed the oil on my cupra back in the summer went to motor world for all the bits and got it done, last night the oil light came on so i dipped it and it was on the min level...... only had a dribble of oil left in the oil i used for the oil change so put that in and went back to motor world for some more oil.
asked the guy for some oil and he gave me castral magnetic 5/30, when i said the oil that was being used in it was castral magnetic 10/40. said that that was the wrong oil and it should be 5/30 !!!!!!!!!!!
So turns out i have been running the wrong oil. could this have done any damage to my engine over the last few months ?????

when i topped it up with the 5/30 i only used 1L out of the can so now i need to do another oil change !!!!.... frikkin motorworld..........
any how i take it the 5/30 is the right oil, the only reason i am abit worried is it says for all fords on the can anothing on it about VW ?

any advice on oil types.

cheers

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
not sure of exact spec's for these cars, but always fully synthetic on a turbo engine

opie oils are extremely knowledgable and have plenty of info online regards grades and needs

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Hey Rev,

This has been covered a million times here, i have read a zillion post's but as you i am still slightly confused on what oil to use as i have never seen any offical recommendation for my LCR, everybody seem to swear by different ones.The garage put in castol 10/40 on my last service, 3000 miles later and the car needed more, another litre in fact :shrug:

All i can say is the over at www.castrol.co.ukyou can use a tool to get what oil is recommended for you car, they recommend 5W-30, hey there the experts.

Anyway i won't say u have done any damage, but i don;t know how many miles you have up, the only think i know reading from other posts is never mix different types of oil.

i am gonna use 5w-30 myself next time round.

hope this help.

Cheers

Rob

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
from what i remenber the numbers only mean

the first number relates to cold starts so higher the number the better on cold starts

the second related to hot running temp to the lower the number the better

im pretty sure thats what it is

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
10/40 for a fixed service plan.

5/30 for a variable service plan.

Just make sure the oil meets/advances the required specification.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.