Oil...What to use in your TDI

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
thanks Oilman
On that revised name I got a Datasheet from Mobil- it seems to me that the new product lacks in Soot dispersal abilities & Anti-sludge when compared with Mobil 1 Diesel ? Having said that there must be other enhanced benefits of this new product ?

Paul

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
all I'm saying is if you put the two datasheets side by side then compare under 'performance data' the Mobil 1 Diesel talks about high Soot Dispersal & a few other sentences related to cleaning ability where as the new product data doesnt mention this (nordoes the normal 0W40 Mobil 1 )

Paul

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I was comparing the 0W-40 with the New Product.

I had already compared the Diesel with the Normal 0W-40 thats why I continue to use the diesel version in my TDI.

Paul

kiteboy

Ive read all of this thread an im still not really sure what oil to get - so confusing

I have a 1.9 TDI Leon Stylance I think ....it is 105bhp or there abouts

Not sure what type of engine it is a PD or non PD so Im not really sure what oil to get

(I assume the car has a PD engine)

Opie oils is giving me this selection

w**.opieoils.co.uk/product-finder/car/engineoil/seat/2008/leon/DIESEL/leon/30405/product-finder-2.aspx

ie a VW507.00 spec oil fully sythentic

Is that the correct oil to get - any recomendations

Thanks for any advice - been holding off getting oil but still none the wiser really
Also is it OK to top up on the oil already in the car or should it be emptied before hand

Last edited by a moderator:

oilman

Forum Sponsor
If it's a 2008 car, you need the VW507.00 spec oil so the products through that link will be correct. The 507.00 oils are all good, so take your pick based on any brand/price preference you have. Also use the code MAYOFFER for the next few days to get an extra 15% off.

Cheers

Tim

kiteboy

Ive put my car reg number on a few sites and all seem to be recommending the same type so will go with them

ie

TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 5W-30
TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE III 5W-30

Thanks all just gotta decide on which make now

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
I've posted this elsewhere in the Diesel section, but thought it would be worth sticking in here to.

Asda now stock Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 (5L) for £32. It's approved to both 504.00 and 507.00, so is suitable for all VAG Diesels, inc those with DPF's and those on Longlife service intervals.

I picked up some for my service mid-week, but the garage said they don't use customers own oil, so charged me £27 to use Quantum Longlife III instead, so I can't complain too much! ;)

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Oilman Just used that link for my Car : 110bhp 2001 Toledo but I really like the Idea of a 0W for startup and a 40 weighting for driving in the summer long distances on the M/ways. what are your thoughts & the disadvantages of going to a 5W-30 ?

Paul

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Hi Paul

I'm not the biggest fan of 0w-40s as the benefits aren't quite as good as they seem to be. 0w is a very thin oil when cold and 40 is a reasonably thick oil when hot, so there is a large viscosity gap to cover with addditives and polymers. Also, viscosities fall into bands rather than being an exact figure, so often a 0w-40 is a 'thick' 0w and a 'thin' 40, ie closer to a 5w-30 than you would think. In the UK, it may get cold, but not cold enough to need a 0w as a 5w and a 0w have similar flow rates at around -10 to 0C. If you are going to be covering long distances in the summer, a 30 can be better than a 40 as the oil is slightly thinner, leading to less internal resistance and slightly better fuel economy. If the oil is good enough quality, the protection given will be fine

Regards

Tim

hoggy90

Full time sexaholic
Nov 14, 2009
Scotland
i dont know if this has been covered in here as their were too many pages to look through to check lol

but could you recommend me an oil for the seat leon 1.9 tdi 110 version? its sitting at about 100k and is on a 51 plate? im looking for an oil to help it start better in mornings and to basically make it run better.....thanks in advance!

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Think the "PD" Oil by Halfords is manufactured by Comma, so if Comma are good then the Halfords version maybe a cheaper option ?

Paul

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.