Oil...What to use in your TDI

oilman

Forum Sponsor

jazman27

Hi,

CAR: 2004 Seat Leon FR 150 TDi (200bhp remapped).

Question. I've been using here in Spain VW 505.01 oil.

But I want "better" oil and possibly longer services. I don't know if it has a DPF.

I'm looking at the VW 506.01 OR VW 507 oil. Which is better (if at all)?

oilman

Forum Sponsor
On paper the 507.00 is the best option as it meets the latest VW specs, but you may find it uses more oil than with a 505.01. Also, longlife servicing isn't great for the engine, it can lead to sludge build ups unless the car gets plenty of longer trips.

Cheers

Tim

jazman27

Thanks Tim

On paper the 507.00 is the best option as it meets the latest VW specs, but you may find it uses more oil than with a 505.01. Also, longlife servicing isn't great for the engine, it can lead to sludge build ups unless the car gets plenty of longer trips.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks, was just wondering if 507 would be ok in my car. It's about the same price here now as the others.

I've pretty much neglected the servicing, last change was nearly 2 years ago (easy to forget about in Spain)! I'm now giving it some "love" as it's a "machine". Very fast and been super reliable.

However... I've heard about "cams" on these motors in this forum. Hmmm, better get my act together and keep it sweet.

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
Sorry to but in but i'd use the Fuchs pro s 5w 40 or Gulf 5w 40 ester based oil which should give better protection than normal oil recommended by SEAT. Could even help save that cam and followers from wear.

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
@Jazman27 buy your self a pela 600 oil extractor pump and do your own oil changes it's easy and quick and better than using that silly long life oil!

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I would never think of extending the service intervals on a PD engine, with the known issues of cam and lifter wear on lubrication failure. Use better oil by all means, but keep to the service intervals. Many people do a change at 5K intervals rather than 10K.

SkimpyWan

Unleash the hounds . . .
Dec 27, 2009
Bournemouth / North London
Damn I get :confused: ever time I go to buy some more oil for topping up my car - I have a '54 plate, Ibiza, 1.9tdi, FR.

As Halfords are currently advertising 4 ltrs of Castrol Magnatec (10W - 40) for £17.50 at the moment I thought that I would check that this is suitable for my car (again). Having (re-)read the threads (again) I am getting confused on the updates that appear to have happened over the years (and months). So, is VW 501 01 / 505 00 grade oil suitable for my car?!?

SkimpyWan

Unleash the hounds . . .
Dec 27, 2009
No, you need a 505.01 spec oil (or 507.00 for longlife servicing)

505.01 - http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-751-vw-50501-oil.aspx
507.00 - http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-754-vw-50700-oil.aspx

They are all good oils, so make your decision based on any brand/price preference you have.

Cheers

Tim

Cheers for that Tim,

I have just spent the past three hours re-reading this thread from pages 1 to 32 and I've got more and more confused. The only things I worked out was that I needed 505 01 oil (the spec must be correct) and that the brand is irrelevant.

Skimpy

SkimpyWan

Unleash the hounds . . .
Dec 27, 2009
On a (slightly) different point, if a car has had the incorrect oil used (505 00) during main services, or just for topping up, would this have damaged the engine or effected performance / smoothness?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
You should know if you have a DPF,a Diesel Particulate Filter, as you have to pay attention to it to keep it from clogging up.

As far as I can tell you should have the BPX engine, the PD160. I don't think this has a DPF.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.