Opinions & advice needed : Turbo back or cat back..

FRantic

Okay so I just got quoted £1149 for a Milltek turbo back including fitting or £454 for a cat back including fitting.

Obviously there is a massive difference there and I'm not completely sure if the additional £600 for the turbo back is really worth it?

My next questions would be, is it feasible to go cat back and then a few months down the line replace the bits from the turbo to the cat? or should it all be done in one job?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Loads of threads on this but seeing how I am in a happy mood, will assist :p

1) Is it worth it? Depends what you are looking for. What model is it you are talking about? Cupra/FR/TDi/Cupra R?

2) Is it feasible to go cat back then add downpipe? Yes

The downpipe gives the power gain and a deep noise (assuming 3" downpipe), and the cat back gives the rasp/note.

Combined you get a power and noise increase. Some people have done downpipe only and claim a good power gain. Cat back will give minimal (if any) power gain, but more noise.

I would do both, but then I am a power junky, and I know from personal experience from having the very first one Milltek did (they designed it on my old car) that a turbo back non res Milltek system with 3" downpipe on a tuned Cupra sounds absolutely awesome :)

FRantic

Hi Al,

Thanks for the info.

I have a petrol FR, I am after performance in the long run but I must admit I wasn't expecting the quote to come out at a grand..

I'll just have to get saving I guess!

Jan 15, 2009
Kent
I know it's allot of money but I've just got a full system and love it to bits, do it if you can afford it... You will get some of the cost back when it comes to selling it aslong as you keep your old exhaust, so it's not too bad

DanH

Jun 24, 2010
Warrington, Cheshire
I had a custom full system put no my FR for £800 including decat and love it, really has had a major effect on the power delivery after ST2 map also, would give you the name of the place but your in Bromley... which is about 200 miles away

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
i think the best thing to do would be just the down pipe first and if that doesnt give you what you want then change it , by adding the rest of the system , you will get a power increase this way and it will still be sufficient for stage 2+ if you decide to go that far.
you will probably need an adptor collar to mate the 2 halves of your system they are cheap though.

FRantic

i think the best thing to do would be just the down pipe first and if that doesnt give you what you want then change it , by adding the rest of the system , you will get a power increase this way and it will still be sufficient for stage 2+ if you decide to go that far.
you will probably need an adptor collar to mate the 2 halves of your system they are cheap though.

That sounds like a good idea, didn't think of doing it that way!

The next problem I'm having is that I like the dual exhaust in the Seat accessories catalogue, that means I need to decide on rear bumper before getting the cat back section!

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
thats why i can't justify going miltek 1100 for exhaust system seems too steap , i could get you a full custom 3" custom turbo back for £750 with 100 cell race cat or 200 cell sports from john ashley exhaust with a lifetime warranty , guy does amazing work, i've seen gains of nearly 15bhp just from 2.5" turboback and de-cat

FRantic

thats why i can't justify going miltek 1100 for exhaust system seems too steap , i could get you a full custom 3" custom turbo back for £750 with 100 cell race cat or 200 cell sports from john ashley exhaust with a lifetime warranty , guy does amazing work, i've seen gains of nearly 15bhp just from 2.5" turboback and de-cat

Hello mate, can you drop me an email or message about this. Cheers.

cogdoc

Not sure if the cat back is the same as a Golf, but I bet the dump is the same? If so, consider 42 draft designs from the USA, mild steel, but way cheaper, and I know there is a dealer in the UK....