Options for New Turbo for Mk4 Ibiza PD130?

Marky P

You've probably heard the story before...

Rolling down the motorway and put the foot down- Nothing!

Change down a gear - Nothing!

Where's me power gone?

Where's all the smoke come from?

I think I might have a knackered turbo.

So what are my options?

If I need to replace the knackered turbo anyway I might as well give the little car a little increase in performance. I'm not talking mad here - I don't want to go around melting clutches and suchlike just spending the same money on a turbo for a little better performance.

What's out there?

gazjones

i would think so but im not sure what else you would need maybe inlet pipe there will be somothers more clued up on the pd enginge that will give you better options. if you were to upgrade on the turbo you would also need other things like a front mount intercooler i would say

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
My engine work beyond the original remap started when my turbo blew... I went the Allard VT2 route - hybrid turbo easily capable of 220BHP, but uses the existing manifold, so saves some cash. Bear in mind that your injectors are the limiter to maximum power, and so to get the full gain from your turbo, you might need injectors, FMIC, and a decent exhaust / decat system.

This is probably the most pasted link in this forum's history:

http://www.allardmotorcompany.com/pages/products/products-cat6.asp?cat=6

T

Ibiza Evo 2

220,8hp and 351lbs/ft
Jun 1, 2004
get-me.to
He doesn't need new injectors to get 220hp...the PD130 ones are good enough.
The turbo and manifold are one piece so the there is no use anymore for the existing one.

But with the hybrid you definitly need another clutch and pressure plate.

Marky P

Surely, If I'm gentle with the mapping - my existing clutch should be OK?

The ultimate aim here is to spend the same amount of money that a new replacement turbo would cost ~ £800(?) but still get some gains!

The mapping can always come later, or can it?

gazjones

no point adding bigger turbo if its not mapped as it will just feel the same or worse than the original ecu wil need to be mapped for that turbo ie requested boost fueling to match the increase in flow things like that

Marky P

You won'y beleive it - the worst possible thing has happened.

It wasn't the turbo, it was one of the pipes that had split.

Bugger!

The tuning will have to wait till after Chrimbo now!

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
That's not a bad thing matey! You can now remap for approx. £300 and get the gains you were looking for, with a far smaller outlay...

T

Marky P

That does look like a fantastic offer.

Are they any good?

As I'm based in Scotland I'd like something a little closer!

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
I was going infact to ask if you were sure the turbo had blown,,,

big pop, no power and black smoke = IC hose blown,,,

no power and big cloud of white smoke = blown turbo,,,

with a new turbo, you'll need: remap, clutch and pressure plate, intercooler. These are the basic mods with a bigger turbo. Then you can add mufflerectomy, uprated injectors if you want more power, oil cooler etc. etc. just look at devonmikeyboy's car,,,

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
so it was an IC pipe popping off??

if it was, it could be some oil into it [a bit of oil should be ok] and the pipe being a bit old,,,

If it's one of the soft pipes just put one of these:
00008204.jpg

on it [sorry, don't know the english name for those, could you tell me what it is?] and it works a treat, done it on mine.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.