Ordering a new timing belt - what info is needed?

amadain

Hi

I'm getting this polish guy in work to get me a timing belt when he goes back to poland tomorrow. Supposedly car parts are insanely cheap over there.

He asked me engine size, bhp, and engine type.

How would I find out the type of engine? He described what I'm looking for, something like three letters and a number - EHC-3 or something. Maybe they only have them in poland, i dunno. He says it should be on the engine somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Thanks

smerko

2.0 Gti 8v
Dec 6, 2004
I'd get the bits over here - a timing belt and tensioner for the 2.0 8v engine is under £20 over here or something stupid so not really worth the effort sourcing them elsewhere.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I'd get the bits over here - a timing belt and tensioner for the 2.0 8v engine is under £20 over here or something stupid so not really worth the effort sourcing them elsewhere.

i'll second that - plus what if its the wrong one or it fails in 3 months?

insanely cheap for a timing belt would be £5-10 for the extra few beer tokens you can get em here for a lot less hassle

in fact here at work for e.g.

belt only
trade £9.00
retail £ 13.00

belt kit (inc tensioner)
trade £25.00
retail £35.00

would be +vat but still less hassle - try your local motor factors and try and blag it trade sale say your from a local dealers or something ;)

amadain

Thanks lads

About sourcing the parts - I'm not "over there", I'm in ireland and we get ripped off for car parts. 40euro for a timing belt, 15euro over in poland. This polish guy is a qualified mechanic so I wouldn't worry about him getting the wrong one. Got him to have a look at the car and he knows all the info now.

Cheers

amadain

Thanks for the replies

About the sourcing of the timing belt - I'm not "over there", I'm in Ireland and over here we get ripped off on car parts. At least 40euro for a timing belt, the polish guy can get it for 15. And he's a fully qualified mechanic so I don't need to worry about him getting it wrong

Cheers

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise