Painted rubstrips?

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Hi all,

In the deepest darkest past of my car, the rubstrips were taken off and then put on again.... with araldite on the rear panels :blink:

And it isn't coming off, not without taking the lacqeur with it....

So!

I bought a new set of rubstrips from ebay to fit to the car but I still want a clean(ish) look. Yesterday I thought about spraying the bumpstrips the same colour as the car. I think I can get an OK finish with rattle cans and cutting compound.

Opinions? Has anyone done it before? I'd rather not have bumpstrips at all but i don't seem to have much choice.

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
someone in my cars history put superglue ...to stick on numberplates!! ...i used that Autoglym intense tar remover and it took it off. u might wanna try that if u want? it loosens the glue. it didnt remove my laquer (or enough of it to matter anyway) ...but then again i dnt know if it removes araldite.

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
yeh man, that tar remover loosens all the stickiness ...i splashed some on left it for a while and picked at it... then got bored and left it but when i got back to it it had dried up and was easier to take off.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
i've been out and given it a try, the tar remover doesn't even get close. :(

back to the original plan then.... anyone tried painted rubstrips before?

my trial run from yesterday seems to be ok with the bendiness of the rubber, which is good.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
ve ot done it with bump strips, but i did the base for the mirrors on my other car...i think its the same kind of stuff... when it gets hot weather the rubber softens and the paint goes funny...

thats what i experienced with the mirror bases anyway. the paint didnt want to stay smooth, and went all tacky when it got hot

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.