painting bumper strips

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
I want to paint the black bumper strips on my car the same couour as the rest of the car (silver) are they easy to take them of the bumpes and the doors?? cheers

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Bodyshop took mine off and removed the texture and then sprayed. Simple job of removing with a screw driver from what i saw, but work from underneath to avoid visible marks.

Orrrrrr buy new ones, spray them for less faff.

Jimski

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
i'll have a look under the door panels.. and see if i can see how to do it :) will the touch up paint do the job?? like the stuf you get in a spray can? im thinking about buying a pair of supra skirts. could i just use spray paint on them aswell?

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Personally, id get a bodyshop to do it, just for that perfect finish/paint matching.

Just depends how much cash you have and how confident you are about your ability to do that finish.

Body shop near me would charge around £250 for a FULL colour code like mine.

Jimski

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
well the problem is i dont have that money :/
I do all the work on my car.. and my friend has painted a bumper before, and he only got one tiny run mark. So if i get tips and help of him im sure i'll be able to do a reasonable job. Im a D.I.Y kinda person really. And ive painted plastic trim befor.. and it wasnt a disaster.. so if they are easy enough to get of.. then i'll give it a go :)

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Just for you;

BILD0622.jpg

BILD0517.jpg

BILD0519.jpg

BILD0520.jpg

Jimski

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
i'll have a look under the door panels.. and see if i can see how to do it :) will the touch up paint do the job?? like the stuf you get in a spray can? im thinking about buying a pair of supra skirts. could i just use spray paint on them aswell?

You don't need to take door panels off mate there only stuck on outside with tape :)

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
with arosols you can paint them to a standard you wont notice, but it depends weather your any good with them, also dont use halfords paint, its way too thin and the spray pattern is awful, a decent local paint shop should mix an aerosol for £10 and should be a decent match, again its all in the prep work.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Cant just apply high build primer streight on there will chip back off again, need to use a fairly agressive sand paper, 120 - 240 and sand some of the texture out, then use high build (filler) primer and apply 1 - 2 coats, then you need to use 800 wet and dry with some soap and get it nice and flat and smooth, then panel whipe them, base coat starting with a few dusty coats then a wet coat, let it dry then on with the laquer, trick with laquer is to get a nice eaven wet coat without geting any runs, decent laquer helps, 2 i will reccomend is -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2K-Pre-filled..._Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item4ceb218ea2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aerosol-2k-Cl..._Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item5acf55da4a

The pro XL is very good stuff and gives a real good gloss, id steer clear from halfords as i only ever had one half decent tin of laquer, one was thin as hell and just run, and the other was thick and wouldent cover properly and blocked the nozzle causing it to spit. Should take a few hours to prep them to do a decent job.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
If you rub them down with a red scotchbrite you can spray high build primer straight onto them without sanding with coarse paper, doing this will avoid it 'pickling' up due to the plastic being to rough :)

Its a good idea to use an adhesion promoter on plastic parts to.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
If you rub them down with a red scotchbrite you can spray high build primer straight onto them without sanding with coarse paper, doing this will avoid it 'pickling' up due to the plastic being to rough :)

Its a good idea to use an adhesion promoter on plastic parts to.

Red scotch on a painted panel yea, rather use green, but red scotch wont really touch textured plastic, if you use 240s on the plastic will take most the texture out of it so half the job is done, each to their own i aint going to argue again as everyone is diffrent but ive worked in bodyshops and see examples of shite prep on plastics and paint chips back off.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
With all due respect I'm a fully qualified Thatcham approved plastic repair and refinisher and in my opinion and experiance its ok to use a red scotchbrite and I have reccomended the use of an adhesion promoter to stop anything flaking off.

You would normally primer over 320 or 400 grit on plastic and a red scotchbrite is same as 320 grit paper/disc so its more than good enough to be primed over if rubbed down correctly :)

I do agree taking some of the texture off first will save a coat or 2 of high build primer but if your going to be messing about like that you might as well just save the cost of the materials/primers/adhesion promotors etc and just buy the primed ones new :)

We all have different ways of doing things tho :)

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
With all due respect I'm a fully qualified Thatcham approved plastic repair and refinisher and in my opinion and experiance its ok to use a red scotchbrite and I have reccomended the use of an adhesion promoter to stop anything flaking off.

You would normally primer over 320 or 400 grit on plastic and a red scotchbrite is same as 320 grit paper/disc so its more than good enough to be primed over if rubbed down correctly :)

I do agree taking some of the texture off first will save a coat or 2 of high build primer but if your going to be messing about like that you might as well just save the cost of the materials/primers/adhesion promotors etc and just buy the primed ones new :)

We all have different ways of doing things tho :)

Exactly, if everyone was same we wouldent have a problem :-o

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I just read that back and think I came across a right big headed t*at, thats not my intention I was just trying to say it would be ok :cartman:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.