Painting Rocker cover

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Am gonna be taking my rocker cover and Inlet manifold of this weekend and painting them black..

What type of paint can i use? Is there any primer needed...

Also can i rub them down with wet and dry to get rid of a crap and sharp edges..

I was gonna Polish them up but seem way to much hard work..

plus does the inlet and rocker simply unbolt ect..if i take the coilpacks off ect

Last edited:

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
done mine mate, (see my thread)

i used some wet and dry to get harsh crap off and then washed it down to get any greasy residues off. allow to dry and apply lots of thin coats of hight temp paint. i used an enamel bassed painbt as its alot harder to break down. go to motot factor shop to purchase and not halfords stuff..

also leave the spray can in a bucket of warm/hot water for 5 mins or so

chris_200120vt

MR carbon fibre
Oct 4, 2008
YEADON, LEEDS
when i did my first rocker cover sprayed with high temp exhaust paint then went over with normal spray paint, now the new one i have had it powercoated only cost me £15 got it back in 2 days:)

daves ibiza

i used high temp paint to havnt had no problems.

with taking inlet off simply take the 2 bolts out of fuel rail to release injectors ect move rail out of way and i think theres around 10 bolts holding inlet on allen key needed carnt think of size. unplug 2 sensors on throttle bodie then you will have 1 big size allen key bolted to a bracket unbolt it. bolt in right hand corner of inlet mani left side of throttle body. then there you go mate. i done this took my injectors ect out and then i went to buy some o rings for injector seals as they give a little leak on 3rd 4th injectors hope this helps mate. :)

with taking rocker off its easy mate release coil packs and theres 10m nuts holding rocker cover down take off jubilee holding breather and its as asy as that feller.

dave

Last edited by a moderator:

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Ive got a tin of the halfords high temp bbq paint sitting at home ready to do this. Ive just got to find somwhere to get some new gaskets for it because my local stealers has just closed down. Then i will be getting on with it...

daves ibiza

yeah mate i would advise you to change gaskets as they perish always good to have new:D

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Normal helfrauds paint for me and its been fine, IMO you should replace what ever gaskets come off with fresh ones, for the sake of a couple quid it cant hurt to put new ones on.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Sprayed normally with a proper spray gun, like you'd have panels done in a body shop.

I actually asked for them to be powdercoated but the place where they were done seemed to think that they're resist the heat better if sprayed, something I am personally a little sceptical about but to date I've had no issues either way.

Poundie

Aug 25, 2009
London
Personally had bad expiriences with spraying stuff, specially that high temp heat paint, just doesnt come out as a nice finish, just try and wait and save that little extra and get it powder coated, cant really go wrong then imo.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i've got a fancy to try that crackle paint like the Honda TypeR's have etc, somethign about that gravel finish

Mat

when i did my first rocker cover sprayed with high temp exhaust paint then went over with normal spray paint, now the new one i have had it powercoated only cost me £15 got it back in 2 days:)

where was that at mate?

I want my rocker, charge pipe and inlet manni all spraying

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise