painting the calipers.. cost and difficulty?

HighlyEvolved

I saw a similar thread. So I'd like my break calipers painted red, can the dealership do this or should I go somewhere else? Also how much would it cost and will the paint fade off eventually? last question. how is it usually done.. all 4 wheels or just the rear ones?

gazjones

10 quid for the halford brake caliper paint and will do about 15 calipers!! a paint brush and bit of cleaning fluid like thinners so looking at about 15 quid i did my original brakes like this on the car and yesterday did my new calipers before i put them on the car!
just be patient and carefull and the finish will be good

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
i done mine one at a time usind the jack. bought a brake caliper painting kit for £18.99 inc brush, paint and airisol brake cleaner. (can't remember the name but savage do a kit without the brush for the same price) i dosen't take long. i couldn't get to all the caliper but got to all the bits you'll see through the wheel, i'll do it properly when i do my tt conversion, i'll post a pic tommorow so you can see how the look done by a novice like myself

gazjones

even my tt ones iv not done everything but you cant see even with the wheel off unless you go under the car!!

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I haven't tried this myself so I might be talking complete rubbish but I would think it's important not to get too much paint around the area where the callipers meet the carriers. I think they need to be able to slide freely so that the pads are centred up on the disc.

Mind you they don't seem to move that easily on my car as it is, which could be why the brakes drag and moan when I reverse it in the morning.

gazjones

the calipers join the carriers and have rubber gaters on them so you cant get paint in the wrong area anyway

Kenshin2006

Black Magic
Aug 31, 2006
Really easy - the paint is by Foliatec, all you need is a paintbrush. Take the wheels off, mask up discs etc - paint area with 2 coats, stick wheel back on, leave to dry. Done.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
I haven't tried this myself so I might be talking complete rubbish but I would think it's important not to get too much paint around the area where the callipers meet the carriers. I think they need to be able to slide freely so that the pads are centred up on the disc.

Mind you they don't seem to move that easily on my car as it is, which could be why the brakes drag and moan when I reverse it in the morning.

yes the rears are always know for getting salt in them and the metal plates the pads slide on get corroded so they dont move easily, a strip down and clean up of the sliders works well, and i also put some copper ease on them to keep them free moving.

the calipers join the carriers and have rubber gaters on them so you cant get paint in the wrong area anyway

not so on the rears you can end up getting paint onto the metal sliding surface for the edge of the pads.

Kendo

The Kit Car Man
May 15, 2005
erskine
Do a search on the site. My mate BJM (hello), has done his and posted the instructions on this. The results speak for themselves.

HighlyEvolved

nath that seems simple enough hehe and the results aren't bad either.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise