Panaromic Roof Rattles......!

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Hi guys, this is an update to a previous post...

I own a 2019 Leon FR Sport 190 DSG Estate with that stupid panaromic sunroof!

The Glass seems to rattle all over, sounds like small stones chipping against glass. - Once glass roof is put on tilt, the noise goes!
Been to dealer twice now, first time, he just said go on Google and look at seal lubricants. - So I did, and applied DOW DC4 grease to all seals, but was still rattling.
2nd visit to same dealer, I thought I found the fault, being the strip of plastic that covers over the screw mounts on the left side of the sunroof - this just clips off. For the 1hr drive with the tech guy - noise gone! Yay!!!!
But short lived...
Rattles are loud and annoying. Don't get this confused with dry seals, as they creak and squeak. This isn't doing either. This is proper chipping sounds. Almost sounds like a lose bolt or one has come away and loose somewhere in the sunroof gubbins. I was playing around with the big seal that the glass rests on, and for a day or so, the sound went, so I think its this seal, or something metallic underneath maybe?
Going in for a 3rd visit but at a different dealer tomoz, and I will beg them to fix it, otherwise this cracking car will be going. I can't live with this. Bought a petrol rather than a diesel as they are quiet, but mine aint. lol. Course, if it doesn't play up on the test drive with the tech guy, then that's it i guess.... - I have some phone recordings off it, so hoping as its the 3rd visit, they might actually replace the seal atleast or check the bolts.

What is strange, is the rattle isn't always there, on way to work yesterday, fine! - on way back, it was proper annoying. Wonder if the roof needs lifting a little, or anything else that could cause this stone chip sounds?

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Mine stopped rattling after applying some seal lubricant
I think this is very common among all brands.

Reactions: Bas H.

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I went through the same process. Try cleaning the edge of the glass and applying the DOW DC4 to the edge of the glass front and sides where it meets the frame if you only get the rattle when the sunroof is closed. For me the noise was caused by the glass edge grinding against the frame. Worked for me ! Putting silicone grease on the rubber seals under the glass did nothing to improve things.

There is another recent thread on this you might find interesting.

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
I went through the same process. Try cleaning the edge of the glass and applying the DOW DC4 to the edge of the glass front and sides where it meets the frame if you only get the rattle when the sunroof is closed. For me the noise was caused by the glass edge grinding against the frame. Worked for me ! Putting silicone grease on the rubber seals under the glass did nothing to improve things.

There is another recent thread on this you might find interesting.

Hi there, Just a silly question, how are you applying the DC4? - I use tip of my finger (very messy). I did do your method, but just gone out and looked at the edge of the glass and the chassis itself has dirt on it which is stuck to the grease. I cleaned it off but probably took the grease along with it.
I do park under a tree, and wonder if this could me a cause? bits falling on the roof between the glass and the seal. I will park further down the driveway away from the tree and see if it helps

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I just wiped the edge of the glass and frame with a damp cloth to get the dirt off and applied the DC4 silicone grease with my finger around the front and side edges of the glass. I wouldnt say it was messy.

I never park under a tree if I can help it. Tree sap and bird muck are so problematic to the extent that I had the car Gen3 ceramic coated by the dealer.

I did have a WD 40 silicone spray (yellow top) in reserve but didn't need it.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
When you look in any VW Group official workshop manual, you will see that there is a specific set of "tools" for first cleaning, then applying the correct lubricant, so it seems that VW Group have recognised that specific tooling is needed to get lubricants into all the correct areas of these pano roofs.

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
I cleaned the seal where glass edge meets the chassis, and applied grease, but still - it seems the glass itself rattles, which i can't see how. Off to a 2nd dealer (3rd visit in total) I hope they might actually replace the seals as a starter, but it sounds metallic, makes me think loose screw or a bolt. But only a 19 plate with 9,000 miles on the clock! Did it when I bought it back in Feb with just 5,000 miles on the clock

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I cleaned the seal where glass edge meets the chassis, and applied grease, but still - it seems the glass itself rattles, which i can't see how. Off to a 2nd dealer (3rd visit in total) I hope they might actually replace the seals as a starter, but it sounds metallic, makes me think loose screw or a bolt. But only a 19 plate with 9,000 miles on the clock! Did it when I bought it back in Feb with just 5,000 miles on the clock

When the roof is closed does the glass sit flush to the roof all the way around or is it higher or lower in places ?

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020

Going up in the world! - Got a top of the range brand new Skoda Octavia. - Never thought I would be seen dead in a skoda. Have to say, I'm impressed! They are solid and well put together. I remember being picked up as a kid in a bright orang
When the roof is closed does the glass sit flush to the roof all the way around or is it higher or lower in places ?

I would say it looks a little higher on the left side which is where most of the sound appears to come from. Seat Bristol have it at the moment. I sent email of video of sound to them. Tried to send on here, but can't work out how.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth

Going up in the world! - Got a top of the range brand new Skoda Octavia. - Never thought I would be seen dead in a skoda. Have to say, I'm impressed! They are solid and well put together. I remember being picked up as a kid in a bright orang

I would say it looks a little higher on the left side which is where most of the sound appears to come from. Seat Bristol have it at the moment. I sent email of video of sound to them. Tried to send on here, but can't work out how.

Just ask them to level it for you , it's only a case of loosening 2 fixings on that side to lower it , you could even do it yourself....

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Car been in for it's 3rd visit. In fairness, they did fix a constant rattle from around the bit where the blind rolls back into, - there was a. loose clip so they fixed that, but sadly not the issue I actually went in there for. They wouldn't allow me to play a recording of the noise to look out for and didn't bother reading my email video clip either. quite frustrating really. So now for the 4th visit! Starting to wish I never bought this car. - I will mention that the left side of the roof seems a little higher than the righthand side also

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Car been in for it's 3rd visit. In fairness, they did fix a constant rattle from around the bit where the blind rolls back into, - there was a. loose clip so they fixed that, but sadly not the issue I actually went in there for. They wouldn't allow me to play a recording of the noise to look out for and didn't bother reading my email video clip either. quite frustrating really. So now for the 4th visit! Starting to wish I never bought this car. - I will mention that the left side of the roof seems a little higher than the righthand side also

Nightmare , is it a rattle or knock when you go over uneven surfaces ?

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Nightmare , is it a rattle or knock when you go over uneven surfaces ?

It can happen on any surface, but if i drive over the cats eyes on the motorway then each time the wheels hit the cat eyes, the noise happens! But does happen even driving on smooth roads. I will ask if they can replace the seal and take up the headlining at the front of the car and check bolts etc. Wish I bought a non sunroof car now.

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Just noticed the rear part of the glass that is fixed down to the bodywork, is flush on drivers side, but left side there is a 2 or 3mm lip! - Also the glass part has a 1 or 2 mm lip on the passenger side. Seems roof needs to come off and realign. Next Tue, will be my 4th visit since 21st July!! - This time a 3rd dealer - the one I bought it from. Bloody 120 mile round trip as coulnd't find a car like mine local. I did say if it's not fixed, I will be rejecting the car which I am legally entitled to within the first 6 months under the consumer rights act. I would rather keep hold, as not seen many of these on the road, and most are quite basic FR spec. I like mine - FR Sport spec except that damn sunroof

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
I have the pano roof and a few very annoying rattles. Mine appears to be coming from the n/s rear seat and behind the driver seat near the seat belt mechanism.

I am very reluctant to take into Seat as they usually create more problems!

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
I have the pano roof and a few very annoying rattles. Mine appears to be coming from the n/s rear seat and behind the driver seat near the seat belt mechanism.

I am very reluctant to take into Seat as they usually create more problems!
If u tilt the sunroof and grab the rear left corner of the glass and gently shake up and down, do u have excess play? If I do this, I can replicate that rattle!! - The drivers side corner is very solid - and guess what? - No rattle!
Seems on mine, its the tiny wheels that run along the rail when sliding the roof open / close. One has quite a bit of play in it and assuming its banging against the housing. My roof doesn't look totally level, so may be if it was level, then them little guide wheels would sit straight like the drivers side?

Bas H.

Jun 12, 2018
Miguel refers to the following
When you look in any VW Group official workshop manual, you will see that there is a specific set of "tools" for first cleaning, then applying the correct lubricant, so it seems that VW Group have recognised that specific tooling is needed to get lubricants into all the correct areas of these pano roofs.

Rum4mo is refering to this part of the Workshop Manual (I got the exact same issue, its getting a little worse or slightly less worse when I push the back of the glass from inside the car while driving). People sometimes forget how important it is to clean and grease their panoramic sunroofs, due to the sensitive parts. In the maintenance guide of the SEAT LEON the service interval of the panoramic sunroof is set to 60k miles/3 years (if the lubricating paste is grey). Basically the dealer should check the water drainage too since thats a common issue too.

Cleaning & Greasing panoramic sunroof
QP2tYfQ.png

P01oS69.png

P01oS69.png

yV4lFh3.png

Service intervals
2wxOkmM.png

Reactions: Slickric21

coolantrs

Mar 22, 2015
Miguel refers to the following

Rum4mo is refering to this part of the Workshop Manual (I got the exact same issue, its getting a little worse or slightly less worse when I push the back of the glass from inside the car while driving). People sometimes forget how important it is to clean and grease their panoramic sunroofs, due to the sensitive parts. In the maintenance guide of the SEAT LEON the service interval of the panoramic sunroof is set to 60k miles/3 years (if the lubricating paste is grey). Basically the dealer should check the water drainage too since thats a common issue too.

Cleaning & Greasing panoramic sunroof
QP2tYfQ.png

P01oS69.png

P01oS69.png

yV4lFh3.png

Service intervals
2wxOkmM.png
HI

can you share this PDF Please

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.