Panic buying fuel?

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Chatting with the guys at work and it was universal despair at the people panic buying fuel. What follows is a genuine excerpt of the conversation.

"Yeah, I heard about it on the news on Friday. I normally fill up at the end of the month so I topped up on the Saturday"
" How much diesel did you have?"
"About half a tank"
"...........so you didn't actually need fill up then"
"Well I wasn't going to get caught out"
"..........................FFS"

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
not bothered to fill up yet - and i am permanently based from home. got 3/4 tank and using my bicycle at the moment. But agree that media (again) have alot to answer for. I feel sorry for people who really need the fuel.

Will fill up next week.

May 2, 2021
Funnily enough. Nobody on any forum I’ve visited had been one of these thundercunts who’ve selfishly filled up.
So who has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishbowlhead

Mk3 CupraST 280
Nov 20, 2020
Was down to 1 bar by Sunday, would of been fine all week but my sisters fridge and freezer went at the same time on Sunday and i had to do a few 12mile round trips to get a spare fridge freezer over to them that i had, then take all the food back home to mine, then some back again as they realised they’d packed literally everything and had nothing for dinner. Great.

On the way back a small local had just had a delivery so i put £30 in which will do me all week easily, by the time id paid the empty station was full on every pump and the road blocked.

Someone is getting a nice bonus this year for suggesting there “might” be a small petrol supply issue if the driver situation doesn’t get sorted.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Down to 25 mile range on the way back from the nursing home my mother stays in I popped into Tesco and filled up-my usual, run it to empty and refuel- looked like the normal amount of vehicles in there and also in the Asda I passed, less vehicles on the road though it seems here.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I had heard of a local indie station that had a £25 minimum spend and no filling cans to stop the “topping uppers” not sure if or how long it’s in operation.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
A plastic drinking water bottle is hardly a safe container to store or transport petrol or diesel in 😮 - they will react with, and dissolve, certain types of plastic resulting in leaks. Now that would be a shame 🤔……….but it might teach that young lady a valuable lesson and make her think twice about being greedy and selfish in future.

She’s probably still got a few hundred toilet rolls stored under the bed from the start of the first lockdown last year that she can use to wipe up any leaks from those bottles though.

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
On the same Facebook page was a complete numpty who attempted to fill up a large plastic bag: when it started leaking all over the forecourt he went to his car, got what looked like a wicker linen basket out, put the leaking bag of petrol in the basket and put the whole lot in the boot of his car.....:eek:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: SRGTD and Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
On the same Facebook page was a complete numpty who attempted to fill up a large plastic bag: when it started leaking all over the forecourt he went to his car, got what looked like a wicker linen basket out, put the leaking bag of petrol in the basket and put the whole lot in the boot of his car.....:eek:
The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze! A perfect example of natural selection at work……….

Reactions: Seriously?

Fishbowlhead

Mk3 CupraST 280
Nov 20, 2020
The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze! A perfect example of natural selection at work……….
Natural selection of the ignorant and stupid pumping out yet more ignorant and stupid.

At that point i think that particular human is a lost cause and should just be taken away to play in a padded room with non toxic crayons, just to get them to the way of the rest of us.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
is this not illegal ?
for sure it is , they must have reported her
I'm pretty sure a Buxton Mineral Water ( other brands of mineral water are available ;)) bottle does not carry a UN approval number for the safe storage of gasoline or diesel. You'd like to think she was reported, but the filling station staff are probably overwhelmed - and concentrating intensly on the Pump Cutoff Switch

Reactions: Rich.T

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I had heard of a local indie station that had a £25 minimum spend and no filling cans to stop the “topping uppers” not sure if or how long it’s in operation.
It ought to be a £25 minimum and maximum spend, which would stop the greedy, selfish types buying 3 and 4 times that amount just to sit in an unused car on the driveway, as well as stopping the ‘topping uppers’. That would leave more for those with a genuine need.

If the latest from media can be believed - i.e. things are slowly improving - then hopefully some sense of normality will soon be restored………….….until the media fabricate another crisis and panic buying frenzy from the next non-event.

Sarah

Jan 18, 2021
Luckily I had filled up a few days before the panic buying started, phew. I'm not really using much at the moment though. I'm managing to use electric and then charge it when I get home. I was using it in hybrid mode before this but I'm using it in electric mode now. I'm trying to keep hold of the petrol until things improve at the pumps (y)

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Report on the BBC website of a £1.60 “topper upper” 😧 - they certainly deserve to be hit with a £25 minimum spend!

I wonder how much fuel they got through driving to the filling station and waiting in the queue - either with their car’s engine idling or constantly stop starting? If they made a special journey from home to the filling station and then back home again, there’s a pretty good chance they used up more than £1.60’s worth of fuel on the round trip 🤣.

Madness.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise