Parking and manoeuvring option missing

Sep 28, 2020
Hi all
New member but been looking around since I decided to buy my Leon FR ST. Done a couple of little mods using the carista app and beta testing but have been thinking about adding a tow bar and wondering if I should go down the route of just a bypass relay or a full car dedicated system. Now the reason for my first post is that I added the park display using carista and thought if I get the tow bar with bypass can I just use the menu to turn parking sensors off (I have no button on the dash) so had a flick through the manual and it said go through the car and setup menu and then parking and manoeuvring but when I do this it doesn't exist. I'm sure before I added the parking display screen with the app it was there so tried to reset the system to factory and still not there so thought I would take the opportunity to make my first post begging for advice. If anyone has any advice also on the tow bar front that would be much appreciated. My car is a 2016 ST FR with 1.4 TSI DSG. I want the least bumper cut possible and a bit of searching on here suggests witter as I want detachable it will only be used for a small trailer to go to the tip or if really needed a 1 bike trailer for my motorbike to take to track days but normally use a friends van.
Anyway advice would be much appreciated on the parking sensor turning off and tow bar
Cheers

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hiya - welcome to the forum.

I have an ST FR and had a towbar fitted for a mountain bike rack. I went for a detachable with dedicated electronics. This was highly recommended to me by someone else and the fitters. Partly due to the LED lights and CANBUS (too technical for me). Is also means that as soon as you plug in the trailer light socket, the car recognises you have something on the back and turns off the rear sensors. It also has a supplementary indicator light on the dash that shows that your trailer/bike rack indicators are working when you use them.

They said that a splice/bypass can cause issues. Can't give you any specifics on that.

Total cost was £550 and in my mind, well worth it. The cut-out is visible from behind the car but it doesn't bother me.

They also remove the bumper and swap the rear cross member (crumple zone) for a much sturdier piece of box steel (to handle the nose weight). Apparently it really strengthens the back end!

I was glad that I went that route and never had an issue with it.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
A bit off main topic, so sorry, but I'd never consider any towbar frame strengthening the rear of the car as being a plus - a possibility is in the event of an almost minor bump in the rear of the car, the damage will be taken by other areas of the car maybe rendering it a right off. This will be the same for any car and is mainly the reason why I have never considered fitting a towbar - most people get away with it though it must be said. I would have thought that car/van manufacturers and aftermarket towing kit people would find a way round this by incorporating a new crush zone into the added on kit and so removing that issue.

Sep 28, 2020
Had a look online and various other threads here and pretty much made my mind up on the dedicated setup. If anyone has any recommendations for fitters around the Leeds or Yorkshire area that would be great.
Still concerned about the missing menu on the setup function though would be nice to know what is going on

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members