Parking sensors faulty - to sensitive??

Fisher2007

Feb 6, 2017
Hi All

Been on here before but can't activate my old account for some reason

So, picked up my 2016 FR 184 mk3 just before Xmas. Only done 4k miles but already having a couple of problems with it;

Staying in reverser gear. Basically select reverse, move, put it in first and it's often still in reverse. A first I thought I was going made but had a look on here and saw other people had the same issue so booked it into the dealer today and they've adjusted the cable or something so fingers crossed that's sorted

Second problem though not so easy. Basically I'm finding my parking sensors are coming on at random times - in traffic, sat at or pulling up to lights, etc. Now as I understand it if the car is going below 10mph they engage, which I kind of get, but at the same time don't. I understand why they would but more often than that, at that speed, you're in traffic rather than parking, and more importantly both of my prior mk2's didn't do the same??!! Even weirder is that they don't do it consistently. For example sat in traffic the other day and they didn't come on, neither me or the car in front moved but a minute of so later the fronts did, firstly showing yellow/amber then screaming red!! The dealer today (who weren't very helpful at all) said that's what the new Seats do and there is nothing they can do - pretty much as blunt as that - I was pretty p'd off by their attitude if I'm honest!!

I've phoned Seat UK to vent a little and they are going to come back to me but in the meantime anyone else experiencing the same?

Cheers

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Sometimes I've had interference from other cars parking sensors when I pull up behind them. It will suddenly report the obstical infront is extremely close but infact its a fair way off. I put this down to the parking sensors in my vehicle receiving the generated waveform from the other vehicles sensors and processing it as a reflected wave.

When it happens take note of the vehicle type in front and see if there is any correlation. It may explain the perceived randomness.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
^^^^ very good answer. The only thing I can add is that mine occasionally do the same.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Sometimes I've had interference from other cars parking sensors when I pull up behind them. It will suddenly report the obstical infront is extremely close but infact its a fair way off. I put this down to the parking sensors in my vehicle receiving the generated waveform from the other vehicles sensors and processing it as a reflected wave.

When it happens take note of the vehicle type in front and see if there is any correlation. It may explain the perceived randomness.

I had this occasionally. Seemed to happen when a Ford Focus was in front of me.

Looie

Apr 26, 2016
Harlow, Essex
I just hit the button that turns the sensor off............ in my FR it's next to the button that turns the stop-start off - which I also hit every trip.......... :yes:

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Always a newish focus, sometimes a transit for me!

Yup, noticed a warning pop up for my front sensors yesterday when I was about 5 yards behind a new Transit in traffic yesterday. Relieved to read in this thread that it's not just my car doing so!

I just hit the button that turns the sensor off............ in my FR it's next to the button that turns the stop-start off - which I also hit every trip.......... :yes:

I am getting used to the Start-Stop and try to only feather the brake pedal when I'm in slow moving traffic to avoid it constantly cutting in but probably should just flick the switch!

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
I had the same gear selection issues on my car. My Seat dealer re-aligned the gearbox cables and its much better now. Was not perfect to start with but as the miles are counting up its getting better. 20k miles now and its driving the best it ever has.

As for the parking sensors, I find they are sensitive to water running over them, keeping them and the rest of the bodywork well waxed/sealed seems to lessen the occurrences but doesn't stop them completely.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.