Parking sensors on Leon 5f

Sep 14, 2020
Hi guys, first post so not 100% sure on if this the right way to do it. I've just recently bought a 2013 Leon with the 1.2 tsi in it. The back bumper has parking sensors, but there is no button inside the cockpit to activate/deactivate them. When I stick it into reverse, nothing happens and it's as if the car doesn't actually have them.

Is it a case of:

A) The bumper just has holes in for them and doesn't actually have the sensors (although it looks factory)
B) They have been disabled somehow?
C) They are just faulty

Any input is highly appreciated here. Thanks all!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've seen this written before and it sounds like your car was built without rear parking sensors fitted, and the selling dealership retro fitted a set of Vodaphone ie exCobra sensors and controller. If so you should find the controller some where in the rear of the car under one of the side trims.
Now if you do locate a Vodaphone controller, you need to check if it is still getting its power probably from the reversing light supply.

Sep 14, 2020
I've seen this written before and it sounds like your car was built without rear parking sensors fitted, and the selling dealership retro fitted a set of Vodaphone ie exCobra sensors and controller. If so you should find the controller some where in the rear of the car under one of the side trims.
Now if you do locate a Vodaphone controller, you need to check if it is still getting its power probably from the reversing light supply.
Thanks mate. Am i looking at the C pillar or somewhere else?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have no idea sorry, but I'd start with looking under the boot side trim covers, as from an installation prospective, that would make sense for it to be located.

Reactions: mhf96

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Be carefull these cars run on a can bus system, you cannot take feeds from lights like old cars. Every system in the car has a module. Power is always taken from the fuse board and then to a controller then to what ever accesory it is is eg lights.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Hi guys, first post so not 100% sure on if this the right way to do it. I've just recently bought a 2013 Leon with the 1.2 tsi in it. The back bumper has parking sensors, but there is no button inside the cockpit to activate/deactivate them. When I stick it into reverse, nothing happens and it's as if the car doesn't actually have them.

Is it a case of:

A) The bumper just has holes in for them and doesn't actually have the sensors (although it looks factory)
B) They have been disabled somehow?
C) They are just faulty

Any input is highly appreciated here. Thanks all!
First thing to check is are there parking sensor in the rear bumber with cable coming out, if not you dont have parking sensors, simples

Sep 14, 2020
Thanks a lot for the replies all. Nothing behind the C pillars or the carpet, and nothing seems to be coming out of the reverse light loom either. Checked fusebox, and the location for parking aid is missing, so I'm assuming there aren't actually any sensors.

Will take off the rear bumper tomorrow, and see if there are actually any sensors connected.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks a lot for the replies all. Nothing behind the C pillars or the carpet, and nothing seems to be coming out of the reverse light loom either. Checked fusebox, and the location for parking aid is missing, so I'm assuming there aren't actually any sensors.

Will take off the rear bumper tomorrow, and see if there are actually any sensors connected.

Did you find any traces of an extra wiring loom entering the car from the bumper?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.