Pcv science

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
So I’m running a catch can and pcv simplified.. my system comes from the crank and rocker to a T. Then to the can. Then to hockey puck/TIP. Now my understanding is the puck regulates the flow under vac thus preventing pcv air into the vacuum source on the inlet mani. Am I correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
I’ve spent about an hour and a half reading on it lol

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I've not seen a definitive answer to this either so I opted to run a catch can that vents to atmosphere but am not sure even that is the correct way to go.
Be interested in a good answer to this too.

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
I've not seen a definitive answer to this either so I opted to run a catch can that vents to atmosphere but am not sure even that is the correct way to go.

Only problem I’ve found with the can so far is the condensation

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex

I heard that venting it to atmos is better for the system because it’s getting the fumes completely out. Rather than chucking them back into the TIP via the puck.

Downside is you’re venting oil fumes into the atmosphere , apparently can get stinky and possibly gets onto the road. Guess from a pollution angle it’s not so good... but who cares lol.

Recent info I read implied that the catch can basically creates tons of condensation and is why people think they’re so effective at filtering, when really they’re creating the mess you clean out.

Reactions: Manic172

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
My catch can is fully baffled and quite large at around 600cc , it then vents back under the chassis - I have never seen any residue on or around the outlet and the can itself only ever gets 10-15mm of mainly water in the bottom. So the condensation thing starts to make sense now.

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
But also thinking outside the box... that’s a lot of condensation that will be returned to the engine. Especially if it drips back out and down the breather pipes

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
But also thinking outside the box... that’s a lot of condensation that will be returned to the engine. Especially if it drips back out and down the breather pipes

essentially that condensation isnt present in the normal PCV system. When switched to a CC the condensation is a byproduct of the change in the PCV system.

I cant remember the ins and outs but it was one of those in depth threads on Vwvortex so I dont want to spout science i dont understand haha

I'd like to know myself, but ill prob avoid it as my car although is my pride shes also my daily beater

Reactions: Manic172 and Sl1ced
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members