PD 130 Engine Mounts

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Evening All

I've read a few posts over time that suggest the engine mounts on the PD130's can give up.

So a couple of questions:

1) Which mounts are prone to failure, and
2) What are the symptoms of a failing mount ?

Cheers

Last edited:

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Yes it seems very common for them to go, even JBS commented on how my engine mount was "about to go". That said, 1000 miles later and it's still intact!

When they go, the engine noise sounds very rough and it's obviously very rattley.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Is the extra noise mainly while idling, or when driving ?

And how many people have had them fail then ?

The reason I'm asking is that my warranty runs out in 3 or 4 months, so if something's starting to go I'd like to get it fixed FOC while I still can !

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
Yep mine went on the day that i was driving from Leeds down to Jersey! Not fecking impressed. Can't remember which mount went but it snapped in 2.

Sounds a lot like the exhaust is vibrating badly on something and is usually only when driving. On tick over it was barely noticable on mine but when you started the engine or accelerated with any heavy footidness, it sounded horrendous. Luckily, cruising at 70 MPH, you could barely notice it.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
big ALI H said:
Sounds a lot like the exhaust is vibrating badly on something and is usually only when driving. On tick over it was barely noticable on mine but when you started the engine or accelerated with any heavy footidness, it sounded horrendous.

I get a loud vibration on startup, and when accelerating in 4th, sounds like it's from around the gearlever. After startup it can be cured by nudging the gearlever to one side, but I can't stop it when accelerating in 4th. It's always done it to some degree, but I reckon it's worse now than it used to be.

Do you reckon this could be the engine mount problem, or just the "they all do that" noise ??

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
muddyboots said:
I get a loud vibration on startup, and when accelerating in 4th, sounds like it's from around the gearlever. After startup it can be cured by nudging the gearlever to one side, but I can't stop it when accelerating in 4th. It's always done it to some degree, but I reckon it's worse now than it used to be.

Do you reckon this could be the engine mount problem, or just the "they all do that" noise ??

I have had the gearstick vibration form new also and in just the same way a little nudge stops it. I have recently though noticed a distinct and pronounced "GROWL" when accellerating around 2k rpm in all gears and this is getting worse so I am thinking I too have an engine mount on its way so a trip to the dealers is in order I think :thumbd:

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
Not sure to be honest mate. Mine does the dildo impression on tick over sometimes and as you say, give it a nudge and it goes away. Seems like this is common with the Ibizas (not sure about other PD130 engine'd cars though). The vibes in 4th sound like it might be the mount though. Might be worth taking it in to the dealer and telling them you've got bad vibes and heard it could possibly be one of the engine mountings - they'll check that 1st.

Mine was bad enough that as soon as i fired it up for the dealer to hear, he knew straight away. Makes me wonder what stress has been put on other bits as i did probably 1500 miles with a snapped mounting - driving to and from Jersey then all the blasting about whilst there. I did drop into the dealer on my way (it literally went as i set off from home :thumbd: ) and they had no idea but said it would be fine to drive :rolleyes: Only found out what i could be after coming on here when i got home. I'll try to find the link and post it up

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Found my "Growl" noise to be the intercooler pipe vibrating against the fuel filter. Thanks to Al and Niall for pointing me in the right direction.

Sweet as a nut now. :thumbup:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Same as I had when I first got the car then:
vibration.jpg

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Yep that's it, it only started doing it a month or so ago after 2 years of ownership so I couldn't understand what it was and I was fearing the worst. It is alot quiter now especially on the motorway, I've just got to get rid of an annoying rattle from the glove box area now.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Got a funny feeling one of my mounts may be on the way out (at only 11k) as the engine seems to a bit jerky around town lately, and vibrating a bit more than usual....

mojogoes

Big ali h do you ever get into the travellers rest over in east keswick harewood lane i used to work there on a sundays a few years ago when graham used to sing there .....before the kitchen burnt down

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.