Pd 150 suspension

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
Had my fr+ 150 coming up to a year now, just before I bought it the lady had brand new bilstein b4 sports shocks fitted all round on standard springs. Now I have recently fitted a set of cupra r h&r -25mm springs all round and its sitting perfect. When I fitted them I changed the top mounts and bearings for meyle items. The ride is quite unbearable, any little pot hole is breaking my back! Also I was advised to cut down the front bump stops (just under half was cut off)
What are my options as I really don't want to higher the car? Is it worth me purchasing cupra r front shocks? I know they will have the tab for the arb but will they fit?
Thanks

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Maybe fitted speak to H&R and ask what the spring rates are for both the FR and cupra R I’m sure the cupra R will have stiffer springs then a FR. Or just fit standard shocks back on it. You can buy damping and rebound adjustable shocks but they are expensive.

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
I'll get the numbers off the springs and check. I don't have standard shocks to go back on, but surely they will not be any better than a newish set of b4's

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
I checked the old springs and there's 2 blue and 2 pink dots on them

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
I'm looking into lowering springs for mine. Obviously your happy with the ride height so I'm doubtful there is much you can do about the harshness. It's like trying to have for cake and eat it if you know what I mean.

Not everyone knows this so hopefully this will help some people in the future as I nearly made the same mistake myself.
The Cupra R is 20mm lower than the Cupra and other Leon models. So the -25mm springs that you purchased are -25mm relative to a Cupra R.
For your car, what you essentially have are -45mm Lowering springs.

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
Mine had the sports suspension standard as it's the fr+. I would have thought the bilstein b4s would have been up to the job otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the springs :thumbd:

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
Ah ok mate. Didn't realise the FR+ came with the same suspension as the Cupra R, never heard of the + until now to be honest. Is it basically a PD150 with the 20mm lower springs but with the standard struts? Or is it possible that it's the same height as the others but with a stiffer spring rate? I'd assume you know more about it being the owner of one. Does it come with a front lower strut brace or any other goodies? :)

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
The fr+ was last of the mk1 leon and they put alot of the cupra r stuff on i.e bumpers,skirts etc. Unfortunately not as mine has the pressed lower arms and not the cast jobbies.

Reactions: SlashProm

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I had a set of H&R springs on a mk3 golf years ago with brand new uprated boge dampers similar to your B4s and the ride was awfully harsh. You could try eibach springs which are the go to brand for lowering with near standard ride comfort. Also ordering them for a cupra rather than fr tdi will have different spring rates as the diesel engine is heavier than the petrol. My cupra r rides far better than my old diesel so its likely accommodating the heavier engine.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I would highly doubt the fr+ has different suspension to the FR, all that changed was cupra r bumpers and 17” varient of the R wheels.

Cupra R suspension would not fit an old donkey diesel anyways as the spring rate would be incorrect.

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
Looks like I'll be on the hunt for a set of tdi eibach front springs then

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
I've been looking into this and from what I can see the cupra R springs I have fitted are between 20-25mm for a cupra r and upto 50mm lowering for an fr tdi. They are listed as upto 1030kg front axle weight so the poundage isn't the problem but obviously 50mm is too much for the b4 shocks. Looks like I will be ordering the 35mm h&r front springs instead and possibly the powerflex -10mm top mounts as the car is sitting perfectly on the current setup just a shame its breaking my back on pot holes. I will get them ordered up and report back. Thanks for all your help

Reggie Cupra TDi

Jan 14, 2016
ive have just bought my dads 2004 cupra tdi off him, struggling to find details and pictures of a perfect ride height and what springs to use, current situation he has 2 new standard springs fitted at the front, and its now higher at the front then at the back, looks awful, and i can fit my hand vertical in the gap. any suggestion, its sat on 18" LCR alloys too

cheers reg,

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
Thats mine on cupra R H&R springs
a7e32b461a963ebcddf88bd928753e53.jpg

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
29527-2 I have fitted but going to change to 29526-2

I spoke to h&r and they confirmed they will lower a cupra R between 20-25mm and a standard leon upto 50mm. I bought them 2nd hand but practically brand new but they seem to be too low for my standard struts (12 month old bilstein b4) so I'm going to order the 35mm front springs instead and possibly the powerflex -10mm top mounts so hopefully will sit slightly higher but will hopefully stop my struts bottoming out over potholes

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.