PD130 only 118bhp and 250 miles per tank!

OggTDIFR

F**k sake, the cars still sitting where I left it! I've been sitting here for over 2 hours and they've not even touched it yet. Damn the same woman that was getting her 2 month old Ibiza eco fixed with the same fault is here again, we just reconized each other from last time. Think I'll be going to a good VAG-com right after this as my trust in Seat has just got to sh*t!

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Are you at Arnold Clark at Seafield? Would have never gone there.

Bought my car new from them and never did the post-delivery inspection properly. I drove off along the Edinburgh City Bypass with tyres near 50psi in them. Could have exploded.

If you don't have any success suggest you try the family run Seat garage in Lauder, or there is another one in Fife (can't remember the name off-hand).

OggTDIFR

Yes that's where I am. No fault codes were detected and they took it out for a 20 mile drive @ 70mph in 5th gear @2500 rpm and the av mph went up to 49.5mpg. They said the car is made for power and torque and not fuel economy and not to listen to you guys on the forum!

I've got the car booked in at star performance for 3:30 today. I told seat I'd take the car to them to get fixed and if their is a problem I'll get them to fix it, they say if their diagnostic machine doesn't come up with a fault then that's the end of it. He was a total knob end.

Traiding standards?

Last edited by a moderator:

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
just a lateral thought:blink: is the web site"Arnold Clark Sucks" still online? if so perhaps you can vent some steam on there AFTER you get sorted:censored: think I'll take a look;)

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
On a side note, if you are getting over active ABS over small bumps I would get the suspension looked at. worn damers can cause this exact problem along with uneaven tyre wear, like little flat spots all round the tyres.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yes that's where I am. No fault codes were detected and they took it out for a 20 mile drive @ 70mph in 5th gear @2500 rpm and the av mph went up to 49.5mpg. They said the car is made for power and torque and not fuel economy and not to listen to you guys on the forum!

Perhaps you could ask them what "urban", "combined", and "extra-urban" economy figures Seat quote for the car, and see how that compares with what they found, bearing in mind they've replicated the "extra-urban" style of driving.
Driving at a steady 70mph for 20 miles should easily you into high 50's mpg. I suspect the quoted figures will be over 60mpg.

I lost all faith in Seat dealers during my Ibiza ownership.

If I were you, I'd detail the problems you're having with the car, and record everything that was said by the dealership staff, and write a letter off to Seat HQ.

Incidentally, if you take it there again, reset the trip computer (both the [1] trip readings and the [2] longer term readings). Also make a note of the mileage when you leave the car, and when you pick it up. Have a look at the trip computer readings when you get into the car after the dealer has had it, and see if they tally up with what they've said....

Last edited:

OggTDIFR

Ok, I took the car to Star Performance and the guy gave me a free diagnostics test and he said the car is running perfect and doesn't feel down in power at all, he said "do you honestly think that car is down in power" I was like no it feels pretty good that's why I couldn't understand why (can't mention the company name because they ask admin to delete my threads if I say anything bad about them) the other rolling road only came up with 118bhp and they told me my car was shite! Star Performance gave me a free rolling road test and it made 144bhp and 240 ft pounds of torque! So I got them to re-map the car and it made 168bhp and 292ft-lbs torque (superchips claim 168bhp and 270ft-lbs of torque) so I'm a very happy chappy. :)

The car feels so smooth to drive now and sounds quieter with almost no turbo lag and it got 286 to 40 litres of fuel and that was with only a quater of a tank of fuel left before Star got their hands on it and it being hammered on the rollers for 4 power runs, once re-mapped it was wheel spinning on the rollers and the tires where melted and mega sticky. Just filled the tank up with 40 litres of regular shell diesel so we'll see what I get per tank in a weeks time. Just done a short drive through the city and its reading av 38mpg where as before it was reading 24mpg. Did it just fix its self or did SEAT have a wee tinker with the MAF when it was in the workshop, hmmm who knows. I've not floored the car yet as its been terable weather here and I might just "try" to keep it under 2000rpm for a full tanks worth of fuel to see if I can get over 350 miles.

Star Performance done all of this for the price of £299 + £35 for a pannel filter! That other place wanted £400 for the map plus £60 for the before and after run and their map made less power than what my car is standard so I dunno whats up with their rolling road. Their customer service was terable and all they could say is my car is shite.

Star Performance gets A ++++++++ for price and customer service. They recommend fitting a PD160 intake as the PD130 intake is very restrictive and made the car have a slight flat spot on the power curve.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Well what can I say,
You've got a good deal on the remap there, Good figures and the panel filter is about the same as you'd pay online MINUS the delivery so nice work there fella.

I'm still not sure on the MPG I mean Parkers rates it at 55mpg, I had 600-700 miles to a tank out of my Remapped 150bhp PD100 engine.
Most of those miles were motorway miles mind.

But you should definatly be pushing well in excess of 450+ miles to a tank providing your not revving the nuts off it (Remembering diesels power is low down)

Also now that you've had it remapped (I'm not sure if its the same for the FR) but you should punt it below 2000rpm, However with that said I think FR clutches are rated to 300lb of torque.
I'm sure someone will be along soon to let you know fella.

Isnt a remapped TDI something special ;)

stu-fr

i dont think your mpg is too bad, my fr is remapped with AmD and putting out 180bhp. i do mainly shortish journeys on road an motorway and average about 48mpg 400 to a tank off v-power diesel.

OggTDIFR

Today I was getting an av reading of 50mpg after a 60mph 6th gear run on the motorway, once in town it started dropping off by 0.2mpg every 20 seconds sitting at traffic lights with the engine on idle and after 2 hours of town driving it got as low as 32mpg av but would creep up when driving and drop by .2mpg every 20 seconds at the traffic lights.

Does this sound about right? Didn't think by leaving the car on idle it would go down by .2mpg every 20 seconds, does that mean its drinking too much fuel on idle?

Another thing, I kept the car below 2000rpm and checked how much mpg it was using as I was driving it, it would read from as high as 160mpg with just fethering it to as low as 17mpg on slow starts, I tried flooring it once and it would still read no lower than 17mpg, bit strange is that not?

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
yeh thats normal mate, mine does exactly the same, apprently if you leave it in gear and put the clutch down you use less fuel??

the computer does that on all the cars, again perfectly normal :)

the minimum usgae would probably have read lower before it was remapped, ive seen TDi read single figures before now.

OggTDIFR

i dont think your mpg is too bad, my fr is remapped with AmD and putting out 180bhp. i do mainly shortish journeys on road an motorway and average about 48mpg 400 to a tank off v-power diesel.

Hey do you think the PD160 intake makes much difference? I have about the same torque (little more in fact) as you but about 10bhp less and that was run with stadard filter and intake.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise