PD150 Reliability?

chrisp123

Mine just got more smokey - well more grey smoke than the usual black;

and seemed to be holding back a bit - i did try other things at first as it felt like the turbo was not pulling properly at times - changed sensors ranging from N75 to MAP and air flow meter.

no real other signs until the engine started sounding lumpy then louder - bit like a tractor
:( all over about a week

- i was lucky though - no damage to valves etc. just cam and followers - did need some other bits to replace the cam (seals bolts and cam fixings etc.) and timing belt kit and water pump - the tandem diesel pump started leaking just after the rebuild too which was expensive also.

Still - i would do it all again the difference between my remapped 150 and other 130's i have driven was worth the extra.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
well mine seems a little tappetty the odd white smoke on start up harldy any black smoke even when im pacing it

mine doesnt seem to spool up first think if very cold , needs to warm up a bit first ???

chrisp123

thats normal when cold -

white smoked on start up can be steam/water from the exhaust usually the injectors sticky when really cold - wouldn't really worry about it!

Chris

chrisp123

Yes i should think so - mine seemed to be holding back all the way through the revs!

I really really wouldn't worry about it - i spent more time worring if it was going to go than having fun with the car, then looked on the forums and worried even more about other things that never went!!

If you have low miles and FSH you don't need to worry at all!!

Where did you get it roaded as i'm in south wales too and i can't see this one staying standard for too long (though i promised it would!!)?

Are the fuel filters the Same on the Leon 150 and the Golf 150 - if so i have a box full left i can send you!?

Ronseal

Get a Pd150 Cupra with FSH and don't worry about it!! I was in exactly same thought process as you - should I get a 130 or 150, you won't regret getting the 150.

A friend of mine just traded in her PD130 golf with 247k miles on the clock, a testament to their reliability and that carries across all PD engines.

NI3K

Nov 19, 2009
great engines, I love mine but had a few problems since i got it, had to replace glowplugs, maf and problems with egr valve but all common things and easily sorted myself :)

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
Yes i should think so - mine seemed to be holding back all the way through the revs!

I really really wouldn't worry about it - i spent more time worring if it was going to go than having fun with the car, then looked on the forums and worried even more about other things that never went!!

If you have low miles and FSH you don't need to worry at all!!

Where did you get it roaded as i'm in south wales too and i can't see this one staying standard for too long (though i promised it would!!)?

Are the fuel filters the Same on the Leon 150 and the Golf 150 - if so i have a box full left i can send you!?

ye crisp same engines - would be handy to ogota change mine again now actually

where in south wales mate

rollers was in llandow ' gotboost

look in wales section theres another session coming up soon loads of us are going down

also add your location on markwales's post were gona organise a meet soon,,, think some are going to ed38 in neport on sunday

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
well im going to resurect this one again

i seem to have a big cloud of blueish smog now which belows out on first start up of the day which has been happening more over the pst 2 months or so ,

Still ticking / tapping , and is a deeper noise but this could be down to the carbonio induction kit ???

carl325

Oct 4, 2009
Have had my FR 150 for about a month or so now. Bought it from my friend who had owned it from new, it was a lease car so has full Seat history from new and is totally standard. All it's had is a new window regulator, common on Golfs and Seat's, 4 new glow plugs and the passenger door seal rubber replaced. It's covered 112,000 miles and still drives like new.
I had a MK4 PD150 golf and that had serious issues, Turbo oil seal,overboost problems, and a rattly flywheel.

As i said above my friend owned from new and has had no problems apart from glow plugs and a new battery. No camshaft or turbo issues as yet, smokes a little bit on start up only black smoke mind.

Great car and a bargain price of £3500!:D

princess09

Hello,
Can you tell me does the BPX engine suffer the same camshaft wear as the ARL engine? i'm looking at buying a Seat Ibiza 160 cupra.
Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members