Pedal Box Repair.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Im wanting peoples opinions on this.

Here are some pictures of my pedal box which has now been drilled and bolted (i no there is alittle bit missing!! :confused: :cry:)

PedalBoxRepair1.jpg
[/IMG]

PedalBoxRepair2.jpg
[/IMG]

Do you think that this will hold together this time?? I know a self-locking nut has been used.

If it wont hold permanently then its alrite as i have another pedal box and clutch pedal on the way. It will be delivered tuesday/wednesday.

Thanks in advance.

adamgardiner

Aug 8, 2006
t might last a little while mate, i bolted mine before i replaced it and it lasted 3-4weeks before the metal it was bolted to gave way, is your clutch heavy mate? mine was before it the pedal box split

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
is your clutch heavy mate? mine was before it the pedal box split

My clutch aint 2bad, after the pedal box broke the first time i got my clutch changed cos it was heavy once it had been fixed. My clutch is alittle heavy, but i think its cos ive been driving a honda civic n the clutch on that is as light as a feather.

Ive got another pedal box coming and the welds must still be intact cos they r sending me the pedal box and the clutch pedal. So on the pedal assembly im getting im going to also drill and bolt it together. Then if the one that is on my car just now goes ive got another one to put on, and i will change it myself!

Will it matter that there is a small section of metal missing from the assembly just now? :confused:

ibizaboy1.6

i think i might of had the same problem mate! what happened? my clutch pedal started to rub against the steering column and then snapped off! i was gutted i just got a mate to fit a new pedal

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Well Ive got a new pedal box (got it from a breakers) and it looks fairly new. Both of the spot welded sections (theres 2 areas on the overlapping plate on this assembly), i think im going to drill and bolt these 2sections then fit the new assembly. Is it a hard job to do??

ibizaboy1.6

mine didnt snap at the welds. theres a bar thats connected to the clutch pedal and runs through the brake pedal and it snapped there. but ive heard that its an awquard job because of the fuse box gets in the way!

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Opinions?!

Heres a foto of my new pedal box.

Pedalbox3.jpg

Here is one if created that i have a query about:

PedalBox1Modified.jpg

As you can see for the drawing the parts in the 2 yellow circles are where the overlapping plate that the clutch cable goes thru is spot welded to the main assembly (and both are still intact!)

would it be worth drilling and bolting both of these welded sections before i go fitting it??

Also what are the 2parts on this foto for??

PedalBoxParts.jpg

I think the small clip is for the end of the bar that you put thru the brake and clutch pedal, but wats the black thing for??

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
as it flexes (by bad design) i added a gusset to mine as well

http://groups.msn.com/FLAPPERSPLANET/projectibiza.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1106

press next for 2nd pic

The pedal box ive got seems a different design to the one i have on my car just now, altho i cant really get a good look at it fitted to the car :confused:

So wud it be alrite just to drill and bolt both of spot welded bits??

I think im going to fit a new clutch cable while im at it.

the clip is for the pedal shaft and the long bit is the shaft support and goes up the middle from memory

I thought the clip wud be for the other end of the pedal shaft (have that aswell!) Where does the shaft support bolt/attach to and how is it fitted??

Im going to try and fit the pedal box on my own.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Sorry but what constitutes a heavy clutch? Is it one that takes too much effort to push down?

pretty much and also a standard on mk2 16v's and an offshoot of converting a hydraulic clutch Gbox to cable and a long cable at that

tdi got hyd clutch so cant see why they bothered now

Cruiser - i think theres a clip each end and that bar is held to the bulkhead by a nut but been 3 years since i did mine and i had the dash out at the time anyway sorry

new cable is a must - makes life easier just DONT release it until you are 100% sure its held in place as the self adjuster can be reset but there is a real knack to doing so

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
your ibiza is meant to have a heavy clutch, all mk2 ibiza's have heavy clutches, just a little quirk with the car.

Yep that is true.... Ive had all these problems with my car and the mk2 has all these little niggles.... but i still wudnt swap it for anything.

surcalation, u have a front OMP upper strut brace on ur car dont u?? Did u just get one to fit the mk2 gti?

Im looking for one for my 1.4 n i can only find a one for a gti?! :cry:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
I was thinking today while i was at work (shows you how busy i was :p) Is it worth me drilling and bolting the new pedal box?? Cos the new one i have the 2spot welds are still in one piece and still attached to the main assembly.

And if i change the clutch cable the clutch shud be lighter than it was as ive also had a new clutch on.

So wat do people advise/suggest??

Thanks in advance.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.