petrol fr economy?????

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
hi i am new to cupra.net and am amazed at all the stuff on here. pretty much everything to do with leons!!!:)!

i am currently looking for a leon fr petrol for around £10,500 07 or newer and with as little miles as possible.

I was looking at a tdi but as the misses only does 12 miles to work each day and then a bit of pottering around at the weekned i changed my mind for a petrol.

Got an insurnace quote of £653 i have got six points for 2 sp30 one of which was a 5 month ban , the other half has also got six points for a mix up with insurance paper work :censored:

Is that a reasonable quote?

My question is what sort of mpg am i gonna get?
How many miles roughly to £20?

sorry for all the questions any help will be much appreciated. chris

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
My question is what sort of mpg am i gonna get?
How many miles roughly to £20?

quite simple really, of all the high powered petrol cars ive had, integra DC2's, DC5, accord type R's MR2's etc you always seem to get high 20's mpg with a reasonably heavy right foot round town and mid to high 30's on a steady long run...

as far ias ive experienced a high powered petrol wont do much more than 30mpg on a weekly basis if your 'giving it some'

my firts DC2 type r would do 26-28mpg week in week out going to work and back ,then i switched jobs and drove to aberdeen and back every 10 days. with no vtec id get to abz on a tank and it worked out at 36-38mpg...10 mpg more.

i know were talking VAG cars here but id be amazed if you realistically got much more than 30 if you like to give it some on a regular basis. (im making assumption there, id certainly be giving it a little burn each day)

hope this helps.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
Hiya I drive a TFSI sport (2.0L Turbo) more or less an FR...

MPG wise = 35 to 36 although I average about 30mpg if Im honest.
For town driving its going to be lower but 30 is going to be realistic.
I drive my car alot and I do alot of distance because of work (100miles a day?)
Once I have driven back from work to home for 50miles doing 65mph
crusing back I ended up with 38.8mph on the computer trip which was quite
impressive for my car but I forgot to take a picture though.
(just to add trying home takes 1hour!) but its all motorway.

In fairness the car isn't too bad to run on aslong as you keep your foot light
and not always on the throttle.

my car isn't exactly standard, I have replaced my exhaust system other than that i have added an intercooler but the ECU is still standard so infairness its not going to affect my MPG.

Hope this info helps - I made some edits as some parts didn't make much sense (sorry)

Last edited:

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
Yeah I got 30 - 35 around town or shortish journeys of 30 mins on motorway. Did get 40 mpg on long runs. Was surprised how it didn't drop much under 30 mpg

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
Yeah I got 30 - 35 around town or shortish journeys of 30 mins on motorway. Did get 40 mpg on long runs. Was surprised how it didn't drop much under 30 mpg

You did better than I'm getting - averaging 27-28 mpg overall, with 22-26 around town (depending on mood..:D) and 30-35 tops on longer runs inc. motorways.

I've actually noticed a slight drop since a recent 'shark' upgrade...;)

VADER182

57 plate petrol FR, get around 27 mpg, mixed town and motorway driving. On a motorway run have got it up to 34mpg, but that is the best i have seen in my car.

I get about 120 miles to £20, using super unleaded. It is good fun though!!!

Oh and mine is a 57 reg, 28000 miles, luna grey, 18 inch alloys, and you can have it for around £10500 if you want!!!!

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
sourcing info from his car spec (app) *oh yes...lol*

This is for the seat leon tfsi 2.0 fr (5dr hatchback)

max boot space (ltr) 1166
fuel tank (gallons) 12.1
urban mpg 25.7 <<<< town driving.
extra urban mpg 45.6 <<<< ...I have no idea how to achieve this? I think Dan got close with his.
combined mpg 35.8 <<<< motorways.

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
its mad isnt it, all the technology and development in cars and a fast petrol model still only really does high 20's to low 30's mpg on combined driving.

the cars stats when new may say more but be realistic and do your sums based on say 28-30mpg and you'll not be far out.

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
its mad isnt it, all the technology and development in cars and a fast petrol model still only really does high 20's to low 30's mpg on combined driving.

the cars stats when new may say more but be realistic and do your sums based on say 28-30mpg and you'll not be far out.

I'll agree with those numbers.. Used to get an average of 28mpg in my MKV Gti..

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
You did better than I'm getting - averaging 27-28 mpg overall, with 22-26 around town (depending on mood..:D) and 30-35 tops on longer runs inc. motorways.

I've actually noticed a slight drop since a recent 'shark' upgrade...;)

It's possible my trip computer wasn't been truthful! I think as the dsg was so smooth you could eek out a good mpg on the motorway which was what I did the most. Saying that it did drop over the winter months. Yeah the 40 mpg took careful driving over 2-3 hours on motorway. I would say 30 ish is what to expect combined.

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
It's possible my trip computer wasn't been truthful!

i never trust them things fully. gotta do the 'brim the tank' trick.....

fill it to brim, zero odometer, drive till you need to refill it, brim it again and note amount of fuel you bought and the miles you've covered.

now you know exactly how far you've traveled and how much fuel you used to do that.
then do the maths and work out the true mpg, i often find the trip comp is wrong.

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
Looks like most owners agree on a 28-30 average but I wouldn't let that put you off...the smile when you're driving will outshine the pain at the pumps...:D

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
thanks for all the replies really helpfull.

Vader182 were abouts do live?

I am just a bit sceptical of what mpg the manufacturers quote. I used to have a focus st but it was costing me 75 - 100 quid a week in fuel.
Changed to a fiest zetec s which is supposed to have 35mpg but seems alot less.

Now in need of something faster then a zimmer frame!

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
when you have a remap what mpg is to be expected from a petrol fr?

Suppose it depends on the tuner and map but I believe it is supposed to increase slightly, apparently not as much as a diesel remap though.
Mine's gone down a bit but maybe thats due to testing it too much...;)

stevesulsh

MY08FR
Dec 8, 2008
Dublin Ireland
Economy

Current average is as you can see not good but bad bad inner city commute eats the fuel get as good as 6 to 7 Litres per 100 Km on a good run without too much heavy foot, But as someone else on here said SMILES not MILES are what's important

just did the sums 7L per 100 km = 40.35 mpg & 11.3L per 100Km = 24.99 mpg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
in fairness, it depends how you drive it with all that power its no suprising how low it can get.

thats true! But we all have a heavy right foot at some point!

I know this is a bit off topic but has anybody had any dealings with the seat garages in leicester or nottingham?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Well my FR returned an average of 30 mpg fairly quick driving mixed A road and motorway an 37 mpg on a long run ie 300 miles. Remap last year and now return 27 to 28 mpg long runs still 36 mpg. If you drive it below 70 mph and use cruise its much better than standard on fuel so it also depends how you drive. Those figures above are driving around 75- 80 mph.