Petrol smell in Alhambra when stopping

shalaxy

Another wierd one - Sometimes about every 15 mins or so there is a strong smell of petrol vapour in the vehicle - this normally happens when stopping at traffic lights or junctions and all the windows are closed. When you pull away it seems to disappears until the next time. I have searched the net and read about this problem on several sites. It appears to be quite common in Alhambras and Sharan's that use the VW 2.0 ADY engines, but I haven't yet managed to find a proper fix for it. I have replaced some of the perished hoses around the EGR valve but this is part of the exhaust emission control system rather than the petrol vapour. From reading the Haynes manual I think there is a petrol vapour circuit as part of the emission system which probably is the root cause of the problem......but I'm still stumped - where do I look next ???[B)]

By the way the Haynes manual is only for the Galaxy with Ford Engines!!!

Many Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
most probably the hose/s to the carbon canister in the drivers wheel arch have popped out? you will have to remove the arch liner to gain access to it and while your there see if the canisters mounting plate is restricting flow from the scuttle drain on that side? if it is then move it slightly to allow better flow

QUOTE...
By the way the Haynes manual is only for the Galaxy with Ford Engines!!!

Ford only have/had two engines in the Galaxy (Mk1, Mk2) range that are their own! the early 2.0 and the 2.3Ltr petrol all the TDI's, 1.8T, 2.0Ltr petrol and the VR6's are VW's , if you want a manual for the vehicle that covers the 2.0 petrol get hold of a copy of ELSA WIN or the Peter Russek pocket manual for the Sharan

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise