petrol? Super or normal?

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
just looking for opinions and views. Does any one really feel a difference running on super unleaded? Any advantages like mpg etc ? Thanks chris

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
dude i have said this many many times, but if you are running a car with more than 200 brake (not sure if you are), always put super in it....not 97 either, you want v-power or tesco. Tbh i have ran v-power for 30k but i still think tesco is better, it feels more smoother.

Anyway you will get loads and loads of replies soon which will be the opposite to what i have said. It was proven in evo magazine, a hot hatch turbo'd car was ran on super for x amount of miles and vice versa and if you see the amount of crap that builds up in your engine cylinders on normal fuel, you would never ever use it again...i have put the odd tenner in the car and instantly the car ran crap...forget the 'adaption' from the ECU which others will go on about on here, my car felt like **** so it was thrashed out and a full tank of super duly thrown in....i must stress that my car isnt mapped for 99 fuel only (im only on stage 1) but when stage 2 arrives it will be programmed to run on 99 permo..

Like i have said, mine has ran on the good stuff for 30k miles with no problems, feels smoother, MPG 24-25 round town and 32 on a run which i think is ok. Now work out the cost- probably equates to near as damnit a fiver extra per full tank (dependant on area etc), can you justify £5 for a cleaner engine, smoother delivery and better MPG? with the MPG the fiver is almost paying for itself..

lcrboy

Dec 31, 2007
scotland
my family has been in the petroleum business for 30 years, selling shell fuels! i never use anything but vpower as this is refined, and not an additive like others i.e tesco, morrisons, supermarket fuel there all imported fuels, cheap as cheap!

suppose as the saying goes, "you only get what u pay for"

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
my family has been in the petroleum business for 30 years, selling shell fuels! i never use anything but vpower as this is refined, and not an additive like others i.e tesco, morrisons, supermarket fuel there all imported fuels, cheap as cheap! suppose as the saying goes, "you only get what u pay for"

very interesting to hear it from someone with a different point of view.

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
My car has never seen ordinary fuel always throw in either BP ultimate diesel or V power diesel. I don't know if it effects a diesel car the same as a petrol, but my mapped ibiza fr tdi got better mpg and felt a bit more spritely but it may have been my imagination:)

Jan 15, 2009
Kent
Scrap that post just read on BP website that they are stopping selling it end of March 2010 due to stock avalibility!

Probably more like because people won't pay the asking price :lol:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I do run super in my stock V5, firstly because it says so on the inside of the filler cap, and second because whenever I've been forced to fill up with 'common' fuel I do have trouble.

The only time I saw that 102 RON fuel was when I was in a 1.6 Astra, would have been totally wasted...

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
if you havent read it already guys check it out...

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/October_2008_Fuel_Test_Report.shtml

thorney done a test with the 102 ron stuff too and they concluded that the car 'felt' quicker but the dyno results showed same as the 99 petrol. Apparantly if you are ever lucky enough to fill a whole tank of 102 it idealy should be used in one sitting i.e on track etc...if it is left the performance 'properties' weaken the longer its left.

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
In my FR I spent my first six months running V-power. I have just spent the last 3 months with ordinary unleaded.
No difference. Except £6.00 extra in my pocket every fill. Fifth gear did a test on a gti and showed about 2bhp difference while a imprezza showed a much bigger gain. And all the talk you will hear about it "cleaning" your engine, well all UK fuel has additives to do this too. I have a friend who works for VW. According to him the idea that a GTi will suffer in the long term from using 95 RON instead of 99 is nonsense. Check out the number of these cars 130,000 miles plus on the road.

Look at the inside of your petrol cap. (In mine - "min 95"). There are many places, not just in poorer countries, where 95 RON is nowhere near the accepted standard as it is here, many states in the US I hear.

The bottom line is that there is probably a tiny advantage to using 99 RON but is it worth it? Definitely not.
I worked out how much extra it would cost a year. It worked out about £250 extra for me! That's another road tax! Going straight to the petrol stations.

It's your choice. Try out both for a while. Or learn from my mistake and save yourself a load of money. Don't believe the hype.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
rubbish ^^^... i would give it a try but if you drive your car like its meant to be driven and not like a pansy :lol: , then you will 100% notice a differance, it has been proven time and time again that it makes a differance, if you are running a stock car then i would recommend 95 but with any upgrade whatsoever i would recommend the v-power or equivellant... If you are running stock then there is another question...

WHY ?????:p

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Look at the inside of your petrol cap. (In mine - "min 95"). There are many places, not just in poorer countries, where 95 RON is nowhere near the accepted standard as it is here, many states in the US I hear.

The US is a bit of an odd place in terms of RON ratings. I am on a bike forum in the states as it's a bike that was much more popular in the states. RON ratings have come up numerous times there, and we found that they do their ratings slightly different. I can't remember the exact formula, but it ends up that their ratings are lower than ours. Their 'average' fuel is 91, which is actually the same as our 95. Their super is rated at 95.

But I think your filler cap has told the whole story. Mine says '98', and I do notice the difference. My mates 10v V5 says '95', and he doesn't notice anywhere near as much difference out of the super.

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
In a stock FR like mine any perceived difference is a placebo. But whisper it in case Owen hears you.:lol:

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
hahaha, dont worry mate i heard you. you are saying dont believe the hype but it seems you are the only one who thinks it makes no differance.

I agree, you wont notice a differance in a stock car.

1mmey

i've always used BPs Ultimate in my TFSI and it improves my economy by around 10%, plus I apparently get an extra bit of power increase! (However it's unnoticeable)
Does it compensate for the extra 6p a litre though? Thats remains to be calculated.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
All the garages near me are out of V-Power!!!:censored:

I had to put £10 of 95RON in till they get some v-power in....but they don't know when!! Thats the first time since I bought the car its had 95RON.:censored:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members