photos of LCR with aftermarket alloys please

KikO[PT]

Here goes mine :)

dsc02522fk5.jpg

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006
ill be sticking with 18" wheels.
IMO 19" would be a step too far for road use.
As well as emptying my wallet at an alarming rate every so often.

The also look too big for the car IMO. 17-18" are the perfect size asthetically for the size of the car. Anything bigger makes the car look like a rollerskate.

Just wondering how many people are aware that BTCC now follows the same technical regs as used in WTCC (ie Technical S2000), which specify tyres as having to be 235/60 R17 ie 17" wheels, (with a max diameter of 9") . If 17" wheels are good enough for a full race spec touring car then they're good enough for any road car too. There are of course good technical reasons to keep the wheel diameter small, not least of which is gyroscopic inertia.

cuprablue

Last edited:

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
Think I have to disagree that 17"-18"s are the perfrect size asthetically. If you put 17s on a Cupra R it would look silly and everyone would ask you 'why'? - despite having problems fitting over the brembos.
18s are right and most 19s can look very good too - those are big a** arches to fill !

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006
Think I have to disagree that 17"-18"s are the perfrect size asthetically. If you put 17s on a Cupra R it would look silly and everyone would ask you 'why'? - despite having problems fitting over the brembos.
18s are right and most 19s can look very good too - those are big a** arches to fill !

I'd be willing to put money on most people not noticing the difference unless you lined two cars up next to each other, (assuming of course the same style wheel is used so it's not obvious the wheels are non standard).

It's not just about the arches, it's about the dimensions of the car. If you move far enough away from the car so that you can't really see the gap under the arches, anything much bigger than 18 just looks too big. Not just my opinion of course, it's obviously the opinion of the car designers too, otherwise all cars would have larger wheels, (the increased cost wouldn't really be all that significant for most top of the range cars).

Anyway, if it's just the arches your worried about, just lower the car. The main reason the arches look "too big" is because a road car needs good ground clearance and so the suspension is relatively long leaving a large gap between tyre and arch.

But hey, if you like bigger wheels it's your car. Each to their own. Personally, I'm only interested in wheels from the perspective of performance, and large wheels are worse in this respect. So even if I did think they looked better I would never fit them because of the negative impact on suspension performance, turn in rate, acceleration etc.

cuprablue.

coullstar

Oct 12, 2007
Aberdeen
Heres my old (as of 2 days ago) car. 8x18in Compomotive MO's, no spacers required for brakes. I didnt really like the standard wheels and always wanted a set of these. They look way better in the flesh.

P1010217.jpg

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Nice pics people, can i ask those of you who have fitted light weight alloys if you noticed any performance gains, as i'm fancying either team dynamics or OZ.

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
How much lighter are they over OEM? IIRC OEM wheel with tyre is around 25kg if not more. I reckon you'd notice a better ride quality due to the reduced unsprung weight. Peformance wise you probably not notice, you may as well just take your spare wheel out.