Picked up my Cupra R this morning

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Nice one, glad you're enjoying it :D

What car did you have prior to the LCR? Is it looking to be a good change? :)

Super_Cupra_7

Mar 12, 2007
Dunfermline, Scotland
I used to have a Rover 25gti and thought that was a nippy car :happy:

The cupra r has been an absolute dream so far.
The only problems I have is that the car seems to pull to the left and the coolant seems to be dissapearing a little :(

I have managed to get 300 miles on a full tank so far and that included giving it a wee blast now and then :)

Gonna get the windows tinted and install my sub, head unit and 6x9's on Satarday ( I need some decent bass!)

Cheers
[B)]

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Trying so...so hard not to burst at the thought of 6x9's in a Leon... must... not...shout... :censored:

Leave them out, just do the headunit, sub and amp ;)

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
[waits for RobM's comments on 6x9's]

Re the Left pull thing, seem to remember reading on here that it's a bit of a trait with the LC & LCR's...could be wrong tho :)

Glad you're enjoying the car...thats my next step once I have the money (oh and the misses lets me ;))

EDIT - Rob beat me to it hehe

Super_Cupra_7

Mar 12, 2007
Dunfermline, Scotland
Trying so...so hard not to burst at the thought of 6x9's in a Leon... must... not...shout... :censored:

Leave them out, just do the headunit, sub and amp ;)

:shrug: How comes? Don't want to waste them as they gave a wicked sound in my old car.
Any thoughts on the pulling to the left and the coolant loss?
Taking the car to the dealer tomorrow for a wheel allignment check and also to check the coolant loss problem.

Cheers,
[B)]

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Coolant loss would indicate a leak somewhere, or (prey not) some sort of overheating problem.
Pulling to the left is a problem a few LCR owners have. Sometimes a full geometry check - camber, caster, toe, tracking etc - can cure it. Sometimes tyre balancing can help too. Best get it checked though or else you'll chew through tyres like they are going out of fashion.

As for 6x9s... there is no need in the Leon. You should concentrate your efforts on the sound at the front of the car, where you sit, not sound being aimed at the back of your head (assuming they are going on the parcel shelf). Plus mounting speakers onto a cardboard shelf is a daft idea (would you mount home speakers in a cardboard box and expect them to sound good?). Also, if you have speakers on the shelf and a sub below, the air pressure created by the sub will, over time, destroy the speakers. The amount of air they move pushes the speakers cones all over the place and they eventually rip. Plus (as if you needed more, lol) 6x9s and a sub trying to do the same frequency in their own way can simply cancel each other out, leaving a messy bass response and a dirty sounding system. Then there is the fact that speakers on the rear shelf scream two things; CHAV and STEAL ME, I HAVE ICE IN THIS CAR!!! And lastly, for now, you already have rear speakers and they are more than enough for a bit of ambiance and to balance the sound.

The sound from your system should be coming from in front of you, not behind. That's why you have your HiFi speakers at home pointing towards you, not away from you. And it's why you sit facing the stage at a live concert.

Get the sub in there, as bass is not directional, and you'll have a good base to start with. Then, when funds allow, upgrade the front speakers, sound deaden the front doors and you'll end up with a nice, balanced system :)

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
6x9s are always a stop-gap solution, fella :S They're a horrid answer to the basic soundstage problem: How do I get mid, high and bass in one place, when i've not got much space?

The MUCH better alternative is tweeters, mids and a sub. And you've got 2 of the 3 as standard :) 6x9s are horrible. They blur sound, they've no accuracy and provide little in the way of performance. They try do too much at once and anyone with half an ounce of audio elitism in their body can tell the difference between a good combination of components/amp/sub or a Halfords off-the-shelve 6x9 setup. :S

Super_Cupra_7

Mar 12, 2007
Dunfermline, Scotland
Cheers Rob,

I will leave the 6x9's out then as I have a double 12" sub.
I don't really like having my music blasting out loud, but prefer a nice clear bassy sound.

Hopefully the coolant loss is coming from a leak somewhere?
Roughly how long should the coolant remain at the same level for?

I am so used to checking this anyway after owning a Rover 25.

Cheers,
[B)]

Last edited:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I appreciate they have their place in the ICE world... but with a car like the LCR, a car that shouldn't be anywhere near a copy of Max Power or Fast Bra, it's time and effort - and a new parcel shelf afterwards - that could be put to much better use.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Cheers Rob,

I will leave the 6x9's out then as I have a double 12" sub.
I don't really like having my music blasting out loud, but prefer a nice clear bassy sound.

Hopefully the coolant loss is coming from a leak somewhere?
Roughly how long should the coolant remain at the same level for?

I am so used to checking this anyway after owning a Rover 25.

One last thing. I take it the only way of finding out if the car has had a remap would be to take a reading from the emu?

Cheers,
[B)]

If you can find somebody local to you with VAG-COM you can run a few checks to see what's going on with the car, which will show if it's been remapped or not. A rolling road will do the same, of course :)
If you're anywhere near Southampton at all, I'll gladly help out with VAG-COM.

Coolant shouldn't be an issue to worry about at all. Check it at each service and aside from any problems with the system, it shouldn't drop much at all.

And good news about the 6x9's. Twin 12" subs will definitely overpower them and they would be a wasted exercise. Get some new fronts instead :)

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Rob speaks the truth :D

The 6x9s would be at a loss with a pair of 12 inches dropping the oh-so-desired 33hz right into your cabin space :) Components/Subs forever!

Mar 5, 2007
Robby darling. If this component setup doesn't sound the nads after it's fitted this weekend. I'm going to find you, come round and bash you over the head with my 6x9s :)

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Robby darling. If this component setup doesn't sound the nads after it's fitted this weekend. I'm going to find you, come round and bash you over the head with my 6x9s :)

Now thats a far better use of a 6x9 if ever I read one :lol: (nothing personal Rob, as i'm sure the setup will be fine!)

Saving the pennies for my component setup at present...just deciding which brand to opt for.

Was thinkin Focal until the Kent meet the other day, when Smooth said he wasn't that impressed with them.

Anyway a little off topic now...

Glad you like the car and may it bring many a grin to your face :D

Jan 19, 2006
fife, scotland
Cheers Rob,

One last thing. I take it the only way of finding out if the car has had a remap would be to take a reading from the emu?

Cheers,
[B)]

emu ? you mean the only way you can find out if your car is mapped is to take a reading from a large, long legged australian, fluffy bird:p :lol: :whistle: . better to check the ecu mate. he he:redface: :clap: :happy: