Picking up LCR tonight

Rhys

Hello

Just thought I'd say hello as I've been reading this forum for the last two weeks and need a bit of advice.

I've bought a LCR and am going to pick it up from the dealer tonight after work. It's a Silver 2004 26,000miles (£10,999):funk:
The previous owner also had it chipped from superchips, the original chip is in the car at the moment but the garage have the superchip as well.

They have asked whether I want to take out a warrantee with the car. The cost is £600 and covers it for 4 years. My inclination is yes at the moment but I wondered what you folks thought.

Also does the chip shorten the life of the engine and would anyone be able to tell if I had been using the car with the chip if anything went wrong? (Obviously if the warrantee company knew it was chipped then it would invalidate the warrantee).

Thanks
Rhys

cobraman2007

Feb 28, 2007
I don't own a Cupra of any sort yet but £600 for 4 years warranty sounds great value - I would definitely go for it.

I am unsure whether a chip would invalidate your warranty as when I was testdriving a LCR from a SEAT dealership they said they didn't know you could chip these cars and whatever I did, I shouldn't do it. Which in turn means it probably would invalidate your warranty.

Don't know if you could switch it back to standard and whether the dealers would know any different though. This could be a possibility.

Cheers - Cobraman2007

Deleted member 7659

I'd want it in writing from the insurance provider that you'll be covered for engine repairs with the chip. Also bare in mind if they're made aware by the dealer selling the policy that the car has been previously chipped they may exclude engine components from the warranty.

Basically, read the small print!

Whatever dealer said you can't chip an LCR obviously doesn't know much! You don't actually need to change the chip in most cases. That reminds me, I've never looked at the Superchips option so worth doing a search on here to determine if it's a good thing or bad thing to have fitted....

Adrian

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
Welcome! :D

I just picked my LCR up last night, had a good drive home with a big grin on my face all the way :D Sure you will too!

Not too clued up on the chips as mines standard but when i went for a test drive of a different one at a main SEAT dealer they said that they didn't buy/sell cars if they had been chipped because it invalidates the warranty. They may know if they plug it in to check?

As said above, read the smal print just in case otherwise could be a lot of hastle if something does go wrong :argue:

andycupra

status subject to change
warranty sounds good, - dependant on what it covers. is it part and labour? does it cover all parts?
what company is the warranty with?

chip wise, they are pretty good not too much to worry aout on the reliability point of view.
however, yes they can tell, (if they look) and it can invalidate the warranty.
particularly aftermarket ones as they would take a hard line.

are they going to give you the chip for free?
also most chips these days are not an actual different chip, but are flashed to the existing one.

Rhys

Yes it's parts and labour but only covers you for £40 per hour labour so main dealers are out (Probably wouldn't use them anyway as the nearest is about 30 miles from my house). Not sure who it's with off hand but I've got the info in the house. It covers the usual - any item that fails due to a mechanical failure in a normal period of time.

Do you know if they can tell if it's had a re-mapped chip even if it's been taken out. Not too worried about the main dealer warrantee as that runs out in 2 months anyway. But if I put the chip in then something goes wrong and I swop the chips over will they be able to tell?

Yep the chip comes for free and I also get the original.

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
Hello

Just thought I'd say hello as I've been reading this forum for the last two weeks and need a bit of advice.

I've bought a LCR and am going to pick it up from the dealer tonight after work. It's a Silver 2004 26,000miles (£10,999):funk:
The previous owner also had it chipped from superchips, the original chip is in the car at the moment but the garage have the superchip as well.

They have asked whether I want to take out a warrantee with the car. The cost is £600 and covers it for 4 years. My inclination is yes at the moment but I wondered what you folks thought.

Also does the chip shorten the life of the engine and would anyone be able to tell if I had been using the car with the chip if anything went wrong? (Obviously if the warrantee company knew it was chipped then it would invalidate the warrantee).

Thanks
Rhys

Thats a good price.

I paid £12,250 2 weeks ago for mine (04 LCR, 22,000 miles)

I bought from a Seat dealer though and got an additional years warranty

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.