Pictures of 6x9's behind rear panels?

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I am in the process of buying stuff to upgrade the sound in my car.

Now I know 6x9's are **** and everyone hates them. But I don't want another subwoofer cos I need the boot space. So I have hunted for the best sounding 6x9's. The best so far are Alpine Type R 6x9's, the SQ is meant to be good :)

I haven't a clue where to start with mounting them. So any pictures of what others have done? I understand you have to make some MDF bracket?

So pics please :D

Mar 13, 2010
I would probably just get some nice 6.5" ones all the way around, would be alot easier than cutting and making mounts for it. Amp them up and you'll get some nice bass and crisp sound.

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
There was a guy on here who did this, but I don't think he uses the forum anymore. The photobucket pics have gone.

Basically he completely removed the standard speaker and its mount, then cut a piece of MDF to the right size and shape in order to be screwed into similar position as the original mount. Then mounted his 6*9 to the MDF. Its fairly straightforward to do, just make sure the MDF you use is big enough to accommodate 6*9's and that the mounting points for the door cards can still be used afterwards. There's plenty of depth for loads of different speakers, you could even get a small sub in there!

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
The problem is, power. 6x9's handle it well for a lower cost.

The amp I will be using puts out 120w RMS x 4.

I have bought some Rockford Fosgate 6.5 power speakers for the front.

Is it worth getting some full range speakers for the rear and scrap the 6x9's? (I will probs run a high pass filter to them anyway. But turn it off when I have rear passengers.)

But it is so hard to find some cheap speakers that will handle that power :(

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
The problem is, power. 6x9's handle it well for a lower cost.

The amp I will be using puts out 120w RMS x 4.

I have bought some Rockford Fosgate 6.5 power speakers for the front.

Is it worth getting some full range speakers for the rear and scrap the 6x9's? (I will probs run a high pass filter to them anyway. But turn it off when I have rear passengers.)

But it is so hard to find some cheap speakers that will handle that power :(

I have rockford T162S and they handle plenty of power. I'm using a Rockford T600-4 for them, but I have bridged the channels so the speakers are getting over 400wrms ;) Gains are set to minimum obviously and they sound awesome. I don't even have any sound deadening yet! I have no speakers at all in the rear and will be installing a sub in the boot in the next couple of weeks. Should sound pretty good IMO. Will be running the comps off the front channels, so back to 100wrms, and bridging rears for the sub at 2ohm.

The inside of the Ibiza is not big enough to warrant rear speakers IMO, rear passengers will hear all they need to hear from the fronts. If you do install 6*9's in the rear, you'd want to low pass them so they act in a similar way to a sub, or they will only drag the soundstage back like they do in my girlfriends car.

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I aren't gonna put that much power into them. :lol:
400w RMS is a bit much for my liking. But 120w per side is enough :D.

I haven't a clue what to do now. I might still go with the 6x9's and just high-pass filter them.

Jesus all that power and no sound deadening :| That's a must mate!

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
i know, but the bank manager says no :cry: Sound deadening isn't cheap either. I was a bit dubious about the 400w per side tbh, but they sound really good. The bass from the comps is pretty crisp already so sound deadening would take it to the next level. I had bi-amped the comps so there's 100wrms per channel, with each separate mid and tweeter on a separate channel. It was good, I could adjust the fade from tweeter to mid instead of front to rear which was good for getting the best sound from them and tbh, I just wanted to experiment with the 400w bridged. Sounds good and loud, but I did enjoy the adjustability.

Anyways, back to your question.... :D if you get 6*9's, you really should low pass them, or you'll just get all the high notes from them which will drag the soundstage back and not sound too clever from the front seat. Remeber, it's you thats driving so it should sound best to your ears, sod the passengers :p

Genesis do a pair of 6*9's that are supposedly amazing sound quality and I expect they are if they come with the genesis badge, but I don't know what the price is like. I think they're like 6*9 shaped free air subs but don't quote me on that.

Edit: here's the genesis ones.. http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=GENP69018

They're 8ohm so if your amp is 4*120 @ 4ohm, then it'll be less at 8ohm.

Last edited:

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I was in two minds with the 6x9's anyhow. But Talk Audio said the Alpines give amazing sound quality. Is it really worth the hassle? I doubt it.

I might just buy some coaxial's. I have just found some RF Power 6.5 coaxial's :D. Either that or some Alpine Type R 6.5's.

I have got a 20% off PayPal voucher so would have to buy them off Fleabay :).

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Did you change your speaker wire? Or are you using stock?

No, I changed everything to 12awg speaker cable. Probably overkill, but the previous owner of my car left runs of 12awg in so I thought I'd match it :D I'll be using 12awg for the sub too when I get round to fitting it. I really want a separate amp for my sub but thats too much money too lol :cry:

What other kit are you running besides the comps?

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
Was the wiring hard to do? I was gonna use stock wiring :cartman:

Atm, I have just saved funds and bought what I can. I have the RF speakers on order and an Alpine IDA-X305 headunit in the post.

I am borrowing my mates JL Audio W3's. They are running 1200w RMS and tbh are overkill IMO. I don't really like them.

I have an old 300w 12 inch sub from my old car. It's a crap make but is enough for my liking and I only paid beer money for it.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
like this you mean?

P1010595.jpg

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i now have the amp in there lol and a stealf shelf. found the sound wasnt great with the speakers that low

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Was the wiring hard to do? I was gonna use stock wiring :cartman:

Atm, I have just saved funds and bought what I can. I have the RF speakers on order and an Alpine IDA-X305 headunit in the post.

I am borrowing my mates JL Audio W3's. They are running 1200w RMS and tbh are overkill IMO. I don't really like them.

I have an old 300w 12 inch sub from my old car. It's a crap make but is enough for my liking and I only paid beer money for it.

The wiring wasn't too bad, scraped me knuckles a few times, but nothing too serious. I have the crossovers for my comps in the boot so I had to run two sets of cable to each door, so if you keep them in the doors then you'll only need one run each side. I just thought the crossovers looked too good to have them hidden away :lol:

My sub is a Rockford P3 10". Only rated at 400wrms which is plenty for my needs, i'm not looking to shatter ear drums lol :lol:

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
I like your setup. It's what I'm looking for :)

I might just buy a cheap Vibe CBR sub. It'll do the job.

How did you run your wiring? Did you rip all your carpet up?

when i didi the wiring, i pulled the door seals away from the door frame and pulled off the plastic trim which hides the edge of the carpet. Theres plenty of room down the sides for 4 runs of 12awg cable. Then just reinstall all the plastic coverings and the door seals and you'd never know any of it was there, it looks completely stock :D I ran the RCA's down the middle which was a little more tricky as i didn't remove the centre console. In hindsight I should have run them the opposite way round so that my speaker cable runs are more equal length, and also to use more of the RCA wire, as i currently have over 2 metres extra cable looking untidy in the boot. The hard part is getting cable into the doors, especially on the drivers side as the fuse box gets in the way somewhat. Theres a good guide on talkaudio which is really useful. Says its for Fabia/Polo, but they're the same as Ibiza so they should be of use.

I need to build a box for the sub now which should be easy enough, but I'd like to mould it to the side of the boot with fibreglass but I have no confidence in getting it right. I've worked out the sizes for a plain MDF box though so I'll prob just go for that.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.