Plasti Dip Grill Surround

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share my plasti dip experience for anyone on the fence about it.. I've heard so much about it I decided I'd give it a lash. The chrome grill surround has been driving me nuts lately and I was thinking of wrapping it but after hearing that almost the whole bumper has to come off for this I decided against it. I masked it off and plasti dipped it black and I'm very happy with the results!(Ignore the dirty car)
hG1LMYN.jpg

While I was at it I also decided to spray the lower bumper bar black as well. I tried to wrap it last month but it was full of wrinkles, the plasti dip went on easy and looks great I think. I paired this with a TRC Splitter and it looks the business.
FOtnbrR.jpg

Here's the before and after. If anyone is thinking of it just go for it. 1 can will do and if you dont like it just peel it off.
qWCgPYN.jpg

Andy90

Jul 30, 2013
4db643bbc4514e31cad03c4bf599a1e0.jpg

Had mine wrapped whilst still on car behind the plate and bottom lip in matt black.
Added a splitter and totally transforms the car at the front end

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Reactions: FRMike

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
nice, been considering this recently as the chrome on the grill is really out of place on an FR, but had not considered the bumper mods. They really change the look. Been having problems finding plastidip locally but postage makes it pricy.

lee wwfc

Dec 8, 2013
Really like this, want to do a similar thing to my car. Where did you get the spray from pal?

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
How many coats paint and was it easy to spray?
There's about 5 coats on each. The first coat is basically a light dusting just to give you a good surface to bond too then the rest of the coats are very heavy, the chrome was completely gone after 2 coats. It's far easier to spray than regular paint, its a very even coat and the finish is perfect. It does have a slight Orange Peel look but thats expected with a plastic surface.

How about adding the black ellipses above the number plate like the cupra's?
I don't want to do that. I'm not trying to make a Cupra replica and I don't want to pretend I have one either., I just think the chrome was a bad idea in general. I am planning to black out the rear LEON badges and the Seat badges too. I was even tempted to dip the gloss black sections of the door window frames. I hate that it gets covered in fingerprints from opening and closing the doors

Really like this, want to do a similar thing to my car. Where did you get the spray from pal?
I got it from a local fella in Cork http://polishnparts.ie/

I'm planning to do my wheels this weekend. I'm thinking of going for a dark gold or bronze like finish using the plasti dip metalizers like this. If people were interested in a little "How To" post with pics thorughout the process I'd be happy to do it.
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Rog.

...is unwell
Jul 19, 2006
Location Location
Good work, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the wheels.

I'll be giving grill surround on mine a go at some point too - and I really want to do the area behind the number plate as well. I've read that it doesn't affect the parking sensors, hope that's correct. Looks easier than wrapping given my general ham-fistedness.

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Good work, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the wheels.

I'll be giving grill surround on mine a go at some point too - and I really want to do the area behind the number plate as well. I've read that it doesn't affect the parking sensors, hope that's correct. Looks easier than wrapping given my general ham-fistedness.

I've only rear sensors so I cant comment on that but I cant imagine it would have any effect on it. The good thing about plasti dip is even if it does mess them up just peel it off and you're back to stock instantly. I'll try and get some good photo's showing the difference in coats, especially with the metalizer as it goes onto a black base coat and you get to decide just how gold the wheels look.

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
How about hydrodipping, anyone had anything done?
Looks like another option for the grill rather than wrap or plastidip

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Ah didn't realise Daire, saw a website for a company near me that does it, it said engine covers from £30 so thought a grill maybe a bit cheaper.
They had a pic of a VW transporter that had its grill done in carbon, thought it'd look decent on ours.

Edit: is the mesh, separatble from the surround?

Yours looks great btw

Last edited:

AndyTSI

Apr 2, 2016
How easy is the plasti dip to remove if you don't like the look of it after or just fancy a change? Anyone have any experience with taking it off? Taking it off body parts I mean not wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
How easy is the plasti dip to remove if you don't like the look of it after or just fancy a change? Anyone have any experience with taking it off? Taking it off body parts I mean not wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It literally just peels off, like the plastic that comes on the screen of a new phone!:p It leaves the surface beneath exactly like it was when the dip went on.

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I've been considering doing the chrome on my mk2 grille with plastidip.

Think it comes off pretty easy on the mk2 though compared to the mk3? If so I'll just take it off to paint.