Plasti Dip Grill Surround

p.eco

Jun 24, 2014
Ireland
guys...

Mat Black Plastidip?

You just masked the sides of the bumper and grill and sprayed 5 layers?
Yes exactly. If you will plasti dip your bottom bumper, take off the masking immediately when its still wet to get a straight line.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

vikram soni

Jul 19, 2018
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share my plasti dip experience for anyone on the fence about it.. I've heard so much about it I decided I'd give it a lash. The chrome grill surround has been driving me nuts lately and I was thinking of wrapping it but after hearing that almost the whole bumper has to come off for this I decided against it. I masked it off and plasti dipped it black and I'm very happy with the results!(Ignore the dirty car)
hG1LMYN.jpg

While I was at it I also decided to spray the lower bumper bar black as well. I tried to wrap it last month but it was full of wrinkles, the plasti dip went on easy and looks great I think. I paired this with a TRC Splitter and it looks the business.
FOtnbrR.jpg

Here's the before and after. If anyone is thinking of it just go for it. 1 can will do and if you dont like it just peel it off.
qWCgPYN.jpg
how did you remove the masking tape? do you have any picture of masking the grill ?
I have tried twice, it always tears bad and leaves nasty little edges with shiny chrome below plasti-dip.
the most difficult part to remove the masking tape is top outer edge (below the bonnet), and the inner edge of the bottom part of the surround.

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
how did you remove the masking tape? do you have any picture of masking the grill ?
I have tried twice, it always tears bad and leaves nasty little edges with shiny chrome below plasti-dip.
the most difficult part to remove the masking tape is top outer edge (below the bonnet), and the inner edge of the bottom part of the surround.

Here's how I masked it. I tried not to mask directly onto the chrome itself. I left a gap between the tape and the chrome which acts as a break line for the plasti dip once you start peeling off the overspray.
7diPTzo.jpg

Reactions: vikram soni

vikram soni

Jul 19, 2018
Here's how I masked it. I tried not to mask directly onto the chrome itself. I left a gap between the tape and the chrome which acts as a break line for the plasti dip once you start peeling off the overspray.
7diPTzo.jpg
Thanks for the image. Much appreciated!

So the key is to leave a milimeter or two of black plastic between the Chrome and the making tape. And then how you remove that extra plastidip on the border?

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk

BradEdwards96

Aug 28, 2018
Teeside
Spent a while last night plasti dipping my grill and rear leon lettering, the plasti dipping itself was as easy as the youtube videos make it seem, it was the masking on the grill that took up the most time, finishing it off tonight with the rear badge and bottom bar on the front bumper so ill post an update tomorrow

Attachments

• 16706BE6-CB26-4FA5-B010-055F29ACE72F.jpeg
    16706BE6-CB26-4FA5-B010-055F29ACE72F.jpeg
    651.8 KB · Views: 390
  • 27721699-AC65-4161-BA82-68848DF87C8C.jpeg
    27721699-AC65-4161-BA82-68848DF87C8C.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 387
  • E9068B82-6711-4167-92C3-0B0D70F11245.jpeg
    E9068B82-6711-4167-92C3-0B0D70F11245.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 379

BradEdwards96

Aug 28, 2018
Teeside
8A0A2588-E1F3-42FB-955E-478A957F0465.jpeg 37EC800C-8103-40B4-BE60-AB94EBCBB4EE.jpeg 544A3B10-5CBC-4083-B504-DA76AD9068EE.jpeg
Plasti dipped the bottom bar and rear badge tonight, only got under the licence plate to do and i think im done, anyone done their FR badges? Dont know whether to keep as they are or continue with the blacking out

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
View attachment 1461 View attachment 1459 View attachment 1460
Plasti dipped the bottom bar and rear badge tonight, only got under the licence plate to do and i think im done, anyone done their FR badges? Dont know whether to keep as they are or continue with the blacking out
Hi just wondering if you have a picture of the plasti dip finished under the number plate?

thinking of doing mine soon after my bumper is fixed and resprayed. Current have it wrapped but going to give plasti dip and go on the badges etc... too. Is there anything else other than cleaning the surface that’s needs to be done for prep? And does it involve an after coat of something else too for a better finish? And also how do you go about cleaning plasti dip when washing the car in general because I do use a pressure washer so I wouldn’t want to ruin it.

cheers

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Hi just wondering if you have a picture of the plasti dip finished under the number plate?

thinking of doing mine soon after my bumper is fixed and resprayed. Current have it wrapped but going to give plasti dip and go on the badges etc... too. Is there anything else other than cleaning the surface that’s needs to be done for prep? And does it involve an after coat of something else too for a better finish? And also how do you go about cleaning plasti dip when washing the car in general because I do use a pressure washer so I wouldn’t want to ruin it.

cheers
I’m interested too, was looking at getting the grille surround wrapped, but was hoping it could be done in situ rather than bumper off (sounding like this is the case). Plastidip is looking like a good alternative, but don’t want to be sorting it out every month because of stone chips and pressure washing etc. Want this chrome gone!

Reactions: Wilkesy

Wilto

Mar 5, 2021
South Wales
I’m interested too, was looking at getting the grille surround wrapped, but was hoping it could be done in situ rather than bumper off (sounding like this is the case). Plastidip is looking like a good alternative, but don’t want to be sorting it out every month because of stone chips and pressure washing etc. Want this chrome gone!
Hi buddy, did you get round to plastidiping the grill surround after, and if so how has it held up in regards to washing and stone chips etc.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Hi buddy, did you get round to plastidiping the grill surround after, and if so how has it held up in regards to washing and stone chips etc.
Hi mate, it’s still on my to do list. Hopefully will get on to this if the weather improves next month

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Is the general consensus that it's better/easier to plasti-dip? Or is paying to have it wrapped the better option long term?

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Is the general consensus that it's better/easier to plasti-dip? Or is paying to have it wrapped the better option long term?
Plastidip is the easy option and cheaper, wrap will be the better long term option I would imagine. The wrap cost will depend if it’s bumper off to remove the grille surround or wrap it in situ

fumeshroom

Sep 7, 2020
So come June I’ll have had my mk3 for 6 years, there is only one thing about it that bugs me and it’s that damn chrome grill surround! Is anyone able to recommend somewhere around Derby or east mids who would be able to plasti dip it for me professionally?

Also a rough price guide as to what I would be expected to pay for the work would be appreciated

I’d have a go at doing it myself but I’d probably end up just making a hash of it!

Wilto

Mar 5, 2021
South Wales
I'm also thinking of plasti dipping myself, but because I've never used it before I can't get my head around how it sticks to one surface and not the other, I watched a video on YouTube and a guy sprayed his Leon letters on the boot, and peeled it off the boot but it didn't come off the letters 🤔

Dec 28, 2020
So come June I’ll have had my mk3 for 6 years, there is only one thing about it that bugs me and it’s that damn chrome grill surround! Is anyone able to recommend somewhere around Derby or east mids who would be able to plasti dip it for me professionally?

Also a rough price guide as to what I would be expected to pay for the work would be appreciated

I’d have a go at doing it myself but I’d probably end up just making a hash of it!
I had mine wrapped on the car by Vinyl Me in Calverton, Nottinghamshire. They did a great job and was £60 in total.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.