Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Maz, you're a funny one mate. You've spent so much time and money sorting the geo and so on with the car, but still run ditchfinding tyres (relatively).

A few tyre suggestions for you, assuming you aren't going to track it and wreck the tyres:

Avon ZZR
Toyo R888
Yoko A021
(would say A048 or A032, but your car will eat them in 4-5,000 miles)

If you think the above will wear too quickly, try to find some Kumho Ecsta V70A's if poss. The Caterham guys have just started using them and there is a real buzz about them.

James.
My mate tried the Kumho Ecsta V70A's in firm compound and hated them. But these were in 88y which is no use for our cars weight, perhaps far better for a lightish Caterham.
I've found that just because tyres are good on on platform or Marque, doesn't mean there any good for other ie GYE F1 asymmetric, great on our platform, rubbish on a Mondeo V6 24V

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Nice recent updates!
Cylinder head looks real nice as well! :D

I wonder where you'll end up with this machine..! :)

I do have variable geometry bushes and got about 1 degree of camber at front.

What about the back?
-My cupra is lowered 25mm, (i think) but I'm struggeling with negative camber on the back. Tyre wear issues mostly.

As for handling, why not go for some forced oversteering? :footysup: ;)

Atleast in the UK it would be pretty unique?

Cupra 4 TDI RR? :lol:

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
I bought the 4 falkens on recommendation from around 3/4 of SCN users. At the time they were fit for purpose but like a few people I started noticing flaws and thus I went for 2 toyo's. Wanting to finish the falkens asap I stuck those on the front.

I wouldn't call them ditch finders as they definitely a good tyre for the money and suit the needs of lighter front end LCRs. For TDIs the Side Walls are not strong enough causing tyre flex, they don't let you know early enough when your on the limit and past 50% wear the grip diminishes.

I said a while back that I was counting the days till they run out but recently the flaws have been fustrating me more hence conversation :)

Long time no see btw :)

Indeed mate, been far too long. Lot changed since we last met, broke my leg, was a lucky boy and able to walk afterwards and decided to get a Caterham before Julie and I got engaged (last week as it happens), so just enjoying the last couple of months ownership before it goes to pay for the wedding :(

I do think you should plough a few quid into decent rubber.

The poster after this may be right that the above rubber suits the Caterham, although the V70A is used for several different weights of cars and is being talked about being a control tyre in future for several series. You can get it in a variety of compounds too, so perhaps that will affect the decision.

Fwiw, I ran A032r's on my fiat punto for a year and I think they were better than any suspension mod I did.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
My mate tried the Kumho Ecsta V70A's in firm compound and hated them. But these were in 88y which is no use for our cars weight, perhaps far better for a lightish Caterham.
I've found that just because tyres are good on on platform or Marque, doesn't mean there any good for other ie GYE F1 asymmetric, great on our platform, rubbish on a Mondeo V6 24V

Sounds like he bought the wrong compound to me. Makes a hell of a difference. All depends on heat generation and I suspect that in a fwd car like the Leon, a much softer compound is called for to generate heat easier.

I can't help but feel something like the A021 would be ideal.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The next step - update #8 - Wheels refurbished

All my wheels have been refurbished now apart from the spare which will be going in this Saturday. As they have a machine face they are more susceptible to damage i.e. lacquer milking or lifting from machine face. After various conversations with different wheel refurbishers this seems to be the downfall of machined faced wheels. They therefore need special attention and constant cleaning and protecting.

I am therefore going to coat the wheels in a Nanolex sealant that lasts for up to 2 years. It’s almost like another layer of lacquer. Very expensive product and one that basically crystallises and needs to be left contaminant free for 12 hours. Hopefully this keeps them in top condition.

Lesson learnt - machine faced wheels are more for show/summer time so going to need another set of alloys to cope in winter months and hard track driving when time comes.

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Nice recent updates!
Cylinder head looks real nice as well! :D

I wonder where you'll end up with this machine..! :)

What about the back?
-My cupra is lowered 25mm, (i think) but I'm struggeling with negative camber on the back. Tyre wear issues mostly.

As for handling, why not go for some forced oversteering? :footysup: ;)

Atleast in the UK it would be pretty unique?

Cupra 4 TDI RR? :lol:
The rear of our cars is different as your uses quattro system (I may be wrong)? Your best off to speak to Audi boys on how they combat it.

There is always slight negative camber on rear when lowered.

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The next step - update #9 - Delays

Why is it so hard to get a cam!?! Its like they dont want my money :lol:

Colt have said there may be a 3 months wait...Ideally want a cam as the head would be off etc but now making me think to put that money to injectors. I could look at getting dbilas 260 cam...

Last edited:

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
The next step - update #8 - Wheels refurbished

All my wheels have been refurbished now apart from the spare which will be going in this Saturday. As they have a machine face they are more susceptible to damage i.e. lacquer milking or lifting from machine face. After various conversations with different wheel refurbishers this seems to be the downfall of machined faced wheels. They therefore need special attention and constant cleaning and protecting.

I am therefore going to coat the wheels in a Nanolex sealant that lasts for up to 2 years. It’s almost like another layer of lacquer. Very expensive product and one that basically crystallises and needs to be left contaminant free for 12 hours. Hopefully this keeps them in top condition.

Lesson learnt - machine faced wheels are more for show/summer time so going to need another set of alloys to cope in winter months and hard track driving when time comes.

You should see my st220 wheels. Shocking. Salt covered roads dont help.

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
Cool! - ive always fancied trying the Nanolex products but like you said your pockets need to be pretty deep. Great work with the Intercooler by the way i'll look forward to hearing about the results...

MattFrench

No poke without smoke
Jan 16, 2007
www.rsfrench.com
Just had a scale through some of your updates. Looking very good.

While you have the head of it would be rude not to put in some uprated injectors. you can only increase the injection duration so much, on standard injectors, before it just smokes more with out any power gains. The larger injectors will effectively allow you to inject more when it counts.

Thats great new about the development with forge, just hope its siginficantly bigger.

Looking forward to seeing some results with your headwork.

Good luck

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Just had a scale through some of your updates. Looking very good.

While you have the head of it would be rude not to put in some uprated injectors. you can only increase the injection duration so much, on standard injectors, before it just smokes more with out any power gains. The larger injectors will effectively allow you to inject more when it counts.

Thats great new about the development with forge, just hope its siginficantly bigger.

Looking forward to seeing some results with your headwork.

Good luck
Nice to see your still around Matt.

Yes I been considering this recently and I believe its the right step forward. Even if there isnt any more power at least I can decrease the duration and inject more fuel as you already stated.

Forge should be a nice solution for all of us. I am positive that through their testing they will give us an intercooler that will perform to our expectations.

Headwork - cam - injectors...should be exciting to see how much you can get with good supporting mods and a 17/22 turbo.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
All car plans are going on hold for the forseeable future i.e cam, injectors and head.

I am still going ahead with Forge development however.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The next step - update #10 - Forge Motorsport Intercooler Development

I have been informed by Kris@Forge that this will now have to be delayed until April.

So stuff is really on hold at the moment.

:confused:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Hi Maz,

Sorry to hear about your job status; putting things on hold is the responsible thing to do. Positively, it sounds like your mind is made up in moving forward with the engine developments. With cam/head/injector and FMIC, you'll hopefully achieve what you want. IMO, it'll be the final piece of the puzzle; it's still one of my fav cars on here. Keep going mate. Hopefully it won't take too long for you to get back on your feet.

James :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Hi Maz,

Sorry to hear about your job status; putting things on hold is the responsible thing to do. Positively, it sounds like your mind is made up in moving forward with the engine developments. With cam/head/injector and FMIC, you'll hopefully achieve what you want. IMO, it'll be the final piece of the puzzle; it's still one of my fav cars on here. Keep going mate. Hopefully it won't take too long for you to get back on your feet.

James :)

Thanks for your support James really appreciate it. I have no debts apart from mortgage so don't need to sell up or anything really. I haven't lost my job but situation is very bad and not sure whether you will get money at the end of the month is almost as bad. This is why everything has gone on stop re the next step. Still need to do essentials like service, tyres, tax and mot. Got a few tiny mods still to go on that already been purchased.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The next step - update #10 - Forge Motorsport Intercooler Development

I have been informed by Kris@Forge that this will now have to be delayed until April.

So stuff is really on hold at the moment.

:confused:
Now rebooked for April 18th. :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.