Please help! Wiper Linkage replacement

egroover

Nov 18, 2008
Hello all

Had a bit of bother whilst replacing a nearside front wiper arm on my Altea, and managed to overtighten the nut holding the wiper arm to the splined post which attaches to the wiper linkage.
However, the wiper arm was attached ok, despite the nut shearing off, but last week the windscreen cracked after a stone flew up, and have now had to remove the wiper arm again asd the windscreen fitter said he would need to remove the wiper arms to replace the screen...but the wiper linkage won't hold another new wiper arm as there's no thread to attach a nut.

I was wondering if the linkage can be replaced (the motor's fine) or can just the splined post just be replaced ? It's looks like a complete linkage may be needed.
Does anyone have an idea of price for the part and the part number ?
Is it easy to replace myself or does the windscreen scuttle need to be removed ?
I see there's one on ebay for about £40 but it's the right hand side one, so I guess it's different?

Any help at all with costs, part number, diagrams...anything at all very much appreciated!!

Many thanks
Paul

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Sadly i done the same last month! These are Left hand threads! the arms with new spline are £70 from seat :cry:, the part no's are
5p0955601b for just the linkage (no motor)
n10643101 is the nut!
It is easy to do yourself,there is a false part of the firewall which undoes with 2 screws 1 either side of the car! and then the motor has two bolts! You'll then need a spline socket to remove the linkage from the motor!
If you need any help,give me a shout and i'll get some pics up :)

Last edited:

egroover

Nov 18, 2008
Sadly i done the same last month! These are Left hand threads! the arms with new spline are £70 from seat :cry:, the part no's are
5p0955601b for just the linkage (no motor)
n10643101 is the nut!
It is easy to do yourself,there is a false part of the firewall which undoes with 2 screws 1 either side of the car! and then the motor has two bolts! You'll then need a spline socket to remove the linkage from the motor!
If you need any help,give me a shout and i'll get some pics up :)

Hello mate

Many many thanks for the help, info and part numbers, much appreciated!!
I'm gonna get in touch with David at sere motors to get a price for the linkage,nut and a (another!) new wiper arm...can live with just the drivers wiper for a week or so!

I had a look and gingerly removed the panel that's attached to the firewall with a torx bolt at each end which you're are talking about a few days ago, to see what's involved, but at that point, got a bit nervous, and put it back after seeing the torx screw that appears to be rubber mounted on the left and the bracket on the right near the splined post and wondering if it was just too much for me to undertake!!
Until your post I had resigned myself for a hefty bill at the stealers, but I have now renewed hope and confidence for a diy job :)

Would it be too much to ask for a quick step by step guide and possibly a few pics, it seems a bit tight in there under the screen scuttle, and am a bit scared that I might unbolt something that I can't get back on ! Aslo when you say splined socket to remove it from the wiper motor, is that a special socket and have you a pic?

Thing is, I know ther garage will charge me a fortune to fix it, plus the time spent taking it to my nearest dealer (25 miles away and the hanging about), so would like to give it a go...just don't want that sinking feeling like I had when sheared off the nut a few weeks ago that's led to this problem!!

Anyway, cheers in advance...my email is [email protected] if it's easier :)
Paul

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Hi Paul,i'll get some pics up tomorrow,and write a better guide!It really is quite easy,i even got the old one out before realising theres a second removable panel :rolleyes: :D

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Right lets have a go at this! i'm useless at writing guides,but here goes!

Firstly these are torx bits and you only need a t30 one to do this,available from halfords!

1et5pg.jpg

Then take off your remaining wiper,and the plastic tray,it pops off! (No pics sorry didn't want to risk another £70 on mine :cry:)
Then pull off the rubber seal (if you haven't to get the tray off) next undo the 2 little black metal screws either side of the metal panel,as shown by my finger in this pic.

29funpu.jpg

Then grab the metal lip of the firewall and wiggle it out,see pic (It is coming away there but its not very clear!

21opnqe.jpg

Next undo the 2 bolts holding the wiper linkage in,again my fingers pointing to one,the others by the spindle itself (second pic)! and the motor assembly should now come out complete!

eqtvd5.jpg

mtwk08.jpg

And then with the motor out,you need to undo the three bolts holding the arm in (pictured but easier with the motor out) and swap for the new linkage.

15i441g.jpg

And then refitting is the reversal of removal,the only slight tricky bit is the motor has a locating lug which is a bit of a fiddle to get into the hole before bolting it in,but you'll see where it needs to go!
So good luck with it,if i can help anymore,give me a shout.
Another Paul :)

egroover

Nov 18, 2008
Paul...you Sir are a legend !!:worship::worship:

MANY MANY THANKS for all your work in posting the guide for me :)
I realise that it must of taken a fair bit of effort with the pics etc and I do really appreciate it !

With your helpful guide I'm now going to get David at Sere Motors to get me the new linkage (and wiper arm) and have a go at this, which will save me a packet compared to dealer prices no doubt plus the time and hassle hanging around...

Tommorrow night before it gets dark I'm going to remove the firewall panel and with your pics indentify what needs to be done ( sort of dummy run prior to receiving the parts ), so stand by for possibly the odd question or two if you don't mind :)

Thanks again Paul, I'll let you know how it goes :)

Also just wanna say that you are a credit to this website Sir, as a newbie, I didn't expect too much response to my problem, but am blown away by the helpful community spirit of this site and the helpful folks here...THANKS AGAIN MATE, I owe you a pint or four :cheers:

Reactions: Samy Lee

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Lol,any time mate! hope my descriptions match up,it was only about 20 mins stripping it and putting it back,its the first time thats the hard bit!
Yep i normally check here about 3 times a day so any questions,pop them up!
One tip,hoover the leaves and crud out of the area too,will stop rusting and water probs in months/years to come.
Good luck with it.Paul :)

egroover

Nov 18, 2008
Cheers Paul, thanks for the tip about the leaves and crud, will deffo hoover that lot out.

Was going to do a trial run tonight, but had a big mole cut out of my back today at the docs, so am feeling bit groggy:ill: so will check it tommorrow.
David at Sere Motors has come good with pricing for the parts (doesn't he always :thumbup:) so have them ordered with him, fingers crossed they'll be with me in a few days :)

All the best
Paul

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Cheers Paul, thanks for the tip about the leaves and crud, will deffo hoover that lot out.

Was going to do a trial run tonight, but had a big mole cut out of my back today at the docs, so am feeling bit groggy:ill: so will check it tommorrow.
David at Sere Motors has come good with pricing for the parts (doesn't he always :thumbup:) so have them ordered with him, fingers crossed they'll be with me in a few days :)

All the best
Paul

Hi,Paul,it probably isn't worth a trial run,you'll sus it out ok when you get the part!
Sorry to hear about your back! sounds painfull :(

egroover

Nov 18, 2008
Hi,Paul,it probably isn't worth a trial run,you'll sus it out ok when you get the part!
Sorry to hear about your back! sounds painfull :(

Cheers Paul....I think you're right..back still giving me grief, and won't do it any good bending over with my head under a bonnet! Will wait until the parts arrived Tues/Wed next week and go for it then:)

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Cheers Paul....I think you're right..back still giving me grief, and won't do it any good bending over with my head under a bonnet! Will wait until the parts arrived Tues/Wed next week and go for it then:)

Ok Paul,i'll be off work those 2 days! I'll pm you my mobile no incase you get stuck on anything!

egroover

Nov 18, 2008
Hello Paul

Just a quick note to say finally got round to replacing the wiper linkage yesterday (been on hols, working weekends etc), and followed your guide...all went like a dream, and very straight forward thanks to your advice. Had a slight alignment problem meaning the wipers parked in the service position (see other post), but a quick nudge today has sorted the problem

So thanks again mate, really apreciate your help :thumbup:

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Hello Paul

Just a quick note to say finally got round to replacing the wiper linkage yesterday (been on hols, working weekends etc), and followed your guide...all went like a dream, and very straight forward thanks to your advice. Had a slight alignment problem meaning the wipers parked in the service position (see other post), but a quick nudge today has sorted the problem

So thanks again mate, really apreciate your help :thumbup:

Great glad to hear it! I'd read the stuck wipers thread,but hadn't linked the name :blink: :rolleyes:
Glad you got it sorted :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise