polished seat sport intercooler

been busy today polishing my seat sport intercooler being as i havent seen anybody else having done this thought i would give it a go as there aluminium and mine was looking dull and tarnished so heres some pictures.
let me know what you all think?

hopefully these photos are viewable there is one photo missing i would have like to have shown but image shack is doing my head in.

i will give it even more of a polish sometime as i think it needs more polishing.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Looking good, Alex :thumbup:

Its something I have been thinking of for a long time, just never got round to it.

ps, rashcupra had already done this and painted the Seat Sport part red.

never saw that.
i could have done with having the car off the road for a couple of days really as it needed more wet and dry rubbing over it to get rid of the pits.
although with the large number of mops i have to use on it they can do the same job as the wet and dry but its all time i will get it looking better though might be a project for the winter.

this picture shows how much of the logo shows i did think about painting it but for the ammount you see i didnt think it was worth it.
URL=http://img3.imageshack.us/i/dsc00049wyr.jpg/]
dsc00049wyr.jpg
[/URL]

Only thing I'l say is... It won't stay polished for long :(

I had a shiny new GReddy FMIC on my GlanzaV - within 1 winter it had gone dull and tarnished.

i dont expect it to stay polished for ever especially as i live near the coast but if it makes it through winter i will be happy.
i put a lot of wax on it to protect it from the elements hopefully that will help.
was thinking of putting clear laquer on it but wasnt sure if it would stick anybody know if that would work?

nice and easy to remove the front bumper although theres a shocking amount of bolts and screws holding it on.
bit more awkward to get the crash bar off as the bolts arnt particularly easy to get to i only removed one side of the crash bar that gives you enough play to get the cooler off.

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
thanks for the tip...will keep that in mind, might be a job for this weekend if the rain holds off!

EDIT-what u using i.e grit of sandpaper to get the finnish you have?

i used 180 then 280 then 400 grit.
i also used polishing mops which are put onto a bench grinder or a drill theres loads of different selections of mops you can use i started with a roughish mop then medium mop then fine then super fine. it made the sanding pretty much pointless as they do the same thing and can provide a mirror finish.
but if your using just sandpaper it will probally take quite a while longer to get that finish as its not so easy to get around the parts where the hoses are joint on.

Apr 27, 2008
i don't know a great deal about the old intercoolers, could anyone tell me what are the advantages are of having the uprated seat sport one and also how much is the one you have cupra.al?

i have a cupra tdi so i already have intercooler that comes with the car.

the intercooler you have is the seat sport one if yours is a cupra i just polished the standard cooler.
the advantages of having the seat sport front mounted intercooler is it brings down the intake tempratures of the air that the engine is taking in createing denser air which if im right compresses better i think that last bit is right.

Apr 27, 2008
yes mate i have a 05 plate cupra tdi, a feel abit stupid now :redface: a didn't even know i had one of them, a new i had a intercooler a just thought it was a smaller one :lol: . a might have to tart mine up abit like you have then

everydays a school day we all start some where its one of the joys in the forum its educational.
i will be making mine look even better in the winter even though it shows up well theres still some tiny pits in it that id prefer wasnt there.

if you do yours make sure you post pics up in here and enjoy the work of getting it polished it takes a bit of time but its worth it you get quite a bit of job satisfaction out of it.

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
not got the ss ic iv got the forge one polished that up and sprayed forge in black not lasted long theo might have to do it again

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.