Potential clutch slip

Dan_225

I have had a good look to see a similar question been asked but i recon my case is different.

if i have been driving my lcr more exuberantly than the norm over a period, say round a few twistys then up the slip road and on the motorway, i notice what seems like my clutch slipping. at 3000rpm the revs rise to 4000 then back to about 3600 and then round the rev range as normal. i must stress that this is intermittent!!! not all the time.

i first noticed this happen the same day as a got my exhaust system ( de-cat ) but never before. that a 007p dv and a pannel filter are the only mods to my knowledge, the car has just clicked over to 36000 miles and i drive the car with care and respect. cant say how it was driven prior to july last year. i need some one to slap me in the face and tell me its my clutch thats going as i fail to belive it :(

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
As you said, sounds like clutch slip to me.

I know what your saying, its easier to diagnose someone elses faults then your own

Dan_225

The power seems normal, the speed still rises, it only happend after de cat, i no there are power gains to be had from a pipe but so much so that the clutch would slip?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
stick it in 6th, floor it from 2000rpm and watch the revs vs speed... if those revs rise and fall whilst accelerating, its your clutch :(

Dan_225

its not all the time that it does the 'slip' its usualy after giving it some frap. but will try that, thanks

Dan_225

to upgrade the clutch would i be best with a TT quattro STANDARD clutch or somthing different? having re-map stage 2 maby n then bits and bats like fmic and boost pipes, better induction and so on, not strictly in that order but thats the plans

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
I'm sure the standard clutch is ok but I Spose it's how u drive the car that will cause the clutch harm. I'm sure there is a guy on the forum with a yellow cupra r running stage 3 mods and he's on the standard clutch still.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I'm sure the standard clutch is ok but I Spose it's how u drive the car that will cause the clutch harm. I'm sure there is a guy on the forum with a yellow cupra r running stage 3 mods and he's on the standard clutch still.
Theres a few high powered car running OEM clutch
Including a 330 BHP/320FT-lbs one and a 385BHP/330ft-lbs one, both LC's

Dan_225

well whats up with mine then :( i dont abuse it by any stretch, none of this 3k launching and all that jazz. at 36000 miles i hoped for more life from it.

Dan_225

No none of the above. does 128 pounds sound too cheap for a sachs clutch kit?

Scruff

Mar 11, 2010
I had this same problem on my Impreza... my mechanic said something along the lines of: "You've got a leaky seal into the clutch so after a fairly hard drive, you're getting a little bit of splash from the grease/oil/whatever onto the clutch plate. Thats probably whats happening anyway..." he said.

Could be this? Even if its not, i just wanted to tell a story :D

Jun 16, 2008
hello people
i have a curious question

my clutch has been slipping too..

whats the worst case scenario if i dont change the clutch ASAP?
how much damage can it do to everything? :-s

Dan_225

Next your flywheel will need replacing. ill see about any seal that could leak and infect the clutch so thanks for your story scruff :)