Potential door corrosion

Delanor

Aug 9, 2022
I drive to my daughters and use quite a few country lanes that tend to get a little grubby at this time of year and I have just noted that lots of wet crud collects inside the door on the bottom front corner there is a seal on the sill presumably to stop this well its not working and where the bottom lip of the door is there is a slight gap so wet grit can collect inside the door at that point, not good so I intend to use a little silicone sealer to stop it getting in.l

I have never known a door collect that much inside in a short time so not a good design in my opinion.
DSCN2145.JPG

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Is it possible the gap is there to allow water running down the A pillar to drain out onto the ground? If so, then sealing the gap could result in water pooling on the sill in the area where the lower trailing edge of the wing is attached to the sill, as the route for it to drain away has been blocked with silicone. When I wash my VW, there’s quite a lot of water run off in that area on my car so I’d be loathe to seal it up. Maybe worth checking out.

Although I’m not a big fan of mud flaps, they do serve a purpose if you’re regularly driving on muddy country lanes. In your situation, fitting a front pair is likely to solve the mud / dirt fling collecting on the bottom inner corner of your car’s front doors, and no issues with blocking potential water run-off drainage routes with silicone.

Delanor

Aug 9, 2022
There are some drainage slots in the bottom of the door but I feel with that amount of wet crud collecting there some of it will get behind the lip though the gap which is above the drain and it will start to collect inside the lip and I doubt that point will be very well rust protected.

Deleted member 135594

I just installed these OEM mud flaps this morning.
They don´t do a lot of good for the looks. But solid quality, excellent fit and easy to install.
I usually do this as the first thing every time i get a new car.
20221111_131047.jpg
20221111_131110.jpg

Reactions: jcbmally

Tell

Staff member
In the Ateca it's the rear of the rear door, where it forms part of the wheel arch. There are plastic shields available on Ali Express to fit to the inner arch to stop the spary - and they work very well.
It can be annoying if the mud passes the seal but not often. Once had some Welsh red mud get pass the seal, being red it showed.

Ateca owners got over excited about it in the early days. They discovered that the wheel arch was built into the door. It's a way of using space by pushing the rear of the cabin further back. Tarraco they didn't need to do that, plenty of space due to increased length.

Seat visited the seals a few times. I'm not convinced mine didn't get updated and they didn't tell me. The Spanish Seat forum guys were busy plastering in the seal 🙄. DIY action. An overkill.

I don't have total sympathy for people who got the car then complained about a design aspect they missed on the Ateca. You do wash the fabricated area in the door to get any dirt out, part of the drain. I've had no corrosion and mine is six years old. No mud guards, but as said the dealer in the early days may have done a Seat mod to the seal, but said nothing.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Can't think of a reason Cupra isn't offering them in the grey-silver color of the arch and lower body cladding which is the same on all Formentors.
Agree completely. Same trim on all Formentors so why not match the mud flaps to that? Obviously cost and maximum profit. I fitted a full set, they look OK but I sort of expected they'd match the trim at the time of purchase. So these are probably at least 1000% profit on production price. Got to remember the retailers will charge whatever the consumer will pay (like me :rolleyes:).

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Can't think of a reason Cupra isn't offering them in the grey-silver color of the arch and lower body cladding which is the same on all Formentors.
I don’t think many (or any?) car manufacturers offer mudflaps that are colour matched to the colour of a car’s wheel arch mouldings or paintwork colour; cost is the most obvious reason why it’s not done, as it probably adds an additional element to the production process.

It has been done though, and some aftermarket mud flaps are available with different colour options. Toyota had OEM colour coded mud flaps with some of their sports models in the 1980’s. Here’s a mk1 MR2 with colour matched rear mud flaps;

7FCE1BE6-5F65-41EE-85B3-F91406335CD8.jpeg

Last edited:

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I don’t think many (or any?) car manufacturers offer mudflaps that are colour matched to the colour of a car’s wheel arch mouldings or paintwork colour; cost is the most obvious reason why it’s not done, as it probably adds an additional element to the production process.
Yes but all Formentors have the same grey-silver arches & sill trims don't they? Perhaps they fit different models too, Ateca maybe?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Yes but all Formentors have the same grey-silver arches & sill trims don't they? Perhaps they fit different models too, Ateca maybe?
I agree 100% that colour matched mud flaps would look better.

However, assuming all Cupra and Seat mud flaps are produced by the same manufacturer, the number of sets of Formentor mud flaps made out of the total number of all sets produced for all Cupra and Seat models will be a small proportion. Hence why it‘s unlikely to be cost effective to have a colour matching stage in the manufacturing process just for a small batch of Formentor mud flaps.

OEM flaps are usually specific to a single car model and not interchangeable with other cars, so it’s unlikely genuine Formentor mud flaps would fit an Ateca. Additionally, the Cupra Ateca arch and sill trims are colour matched to the specific colour of the car (e.g. white arch and sill trims on a white car, red arch and sill trims on a red car etc.) rather than the arch and sill trims being a single colour irrespective of the car’s paint colour like on the Formentor.

If you‘re unhappy with the standard black mud flaps, you could always ask a good body shop if it would be possible to have them painted to match the arch and sill trims on your car. However, with the mud flaps having a slightly textured finish, it might be difficult to prep the surface to ensure long term durability of a painted finish, so I suspect a body shop would advise against having them painted.

Delanor

Aug 9, 2022
A pair of front plastic mud flaps £62 Seat are having a laugh, I had a Skoda Karoq (same as the Ateca) before the Cupra and it used to collect lots of crud on the inside of the back doors from the wheel arch, there is a seal that is supposed to stop this but its not very effective as the back wheels literally throw dirty water past the seal so I installed an additional slightly thicker compressible rubber seal alongside the original and that stopped it immediately.
I`m still considering an additional seal for the Formentor at the end of the day its not rocket science to just view the problem and come up with a simple seal solution I don`t consider that when washing my car I should have to open the doors to wash lumps of grit, twigs and leaves away as well from the inside.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135594

They are not that big. And if the colour is that important, as SRGTD say, you can have them painted.
We live in the countryside and have 300 m. gravel road to our house. And these little black flaps look a lot better than mud all over the doors and mirrors. And they prevent sand blasting the bottom of the car right behind the wheels.

Wrighton

May 29, 2015
United Kingdom
They are not that big. And if the colour is that important, as SRGTD say, you can have them painted.
We live in the countryside and have 300 m. gravel road to our house. And these little black flaps look a lot better than mud all over the doors and mirrors. And they prevent sand blasting the bottom of the car right behind the wheels.
How are they fitted?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.