Power loss once engine warms up

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
I now have a MkIV Golf 1.8t with an AUM engine, which is the same as an AUQ in Leon Cupras.

I had it Revo'd a couple of weeks ago, and all was well, no fault codes and the maf was peaking at around 120-125 g/s standard, and over 160g/s after the re-map. The perfomance was great.

It is now alot slower than when first mapped, the only time it is quick is when the engine is below normal running temp, as soon as it is up to temp the power drops right off.

There are no fault codes and the map still peaks at just over 160g/s.

The dv is fine with no leaks, and I can't find any boost leaks either.

Can anyone offer any ideas for what to look for next?

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
As a guess I would say one of you lambda sensors is on the way out, IIRC the car doesn't use the signals from the lambda sensors when it is cold but then flicks over to them when the car reaches normal operating temperature. Is there any way you can log the lambda signals?

Could be absolute rubbish but worth a thought, had the same problem on a 2001 106 GTI.

Last edited:

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
peter0976, yes I can log them, hadn't thought of that, although I'd have expected it to show as a fault. I will do a bit more research and see what they should be reading.

omg!

Feb 23, 2006
Fife
My LCR is standard and I get the same symptoms. It pulls well until it has warmed up to normal temperature and then it feels less willing. Unfortunately I cant find anyone with vagcom near me who can help.
Not sure if that helps you but maybe it indicates its not a remap problem.

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
'the power comes and goes' sounds like your Maf is on its way out

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
Jaime, I'll inspect that pipe, although it does not appear to be effected by ambient temps.

dsrr, I have been pretty suspicious of the maf, having had one fail on the Leon I used to own, however, the symptoms were a different before and this maf is showing a good output.

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
The fuel consumption is now averaging about 7mpg lower than normal.

Still no fault codes.

It won't drive with the maf disconnected, it kangeroos all over the place, I'm guessing that has something to do with the ASP. My Leon used to drive fine with the maf disconnected, but that only had TCS.

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
I've checked the Lambda sensors, and they are fine.

I've not cheked the fuel pump at the moment, but....

Last night I removed and cleaned the N75 with carb cleaner, and it made quite a difference, it's not perfect yet, but I think this is the problem.

The fuel consumption was better this morning and it is boosting better, so I'm going to give it another damn good clean up and see how it goes.

Exocet

May 10, 2007
I'll also be interested in how it goes.

I've had a similar problem occur over the last week: it's been doing my nut in as I've recently had the oil and sparks changed and all was running fine, but mine stutters on the warm up, seems to remedy itself when at normal operating temps.

oops, just seen the date of the post

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I'll also be interested in how it goes.

I've had a similar problem occur over the last week: it's been doing my nut in as I've recently had the oil and sparks changed and all was running fine, but mine stutters on the warm up, seems to remedy itself when at normal operating temps.

oops, just seen the date of the post

Your problem could be coolant temperature sensor related.

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
Exocet, I eventually found a split rubber hose, under the inlet manifold was causing the problems, there is a thread about it, but I can't find it, I'll have a look later when I have more time and post up a link here.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise