Power Steering Hose/Pipe

steve2k6

Hi all,

Just had my Cupra R for a 60k service, Timing belt and Water pump changed aswell as changing the Gearbox Oil and Brake Fluid at the Dealers for £500 for your interest.

Anyway, I had a whine noise from the steering a few months ago which seems not to be as loud and asked them to have a look. They told me that they topped the fluid up but a hose is leaking slightly which would cost £150+labour to replace.

Does anyone know which hose this could be, is there one hose or more than one? Does anyone have any pics to show the steering hoses or the steering setup or even better a PDF of the engine layout and components which would be great to have if there is one.

How hard is the hose to replace? Anyone got a Part No.?

Would be grateful of any useful comments!

kind regards

Ste

CHRIS87

Jul 12, 2009
I have a very slight leak in my power stering pipe aswell. if you look down the back of the gearbox you will see the steering rack and a black rubber pipe with metal ends going into the rack. mine is leaking at the steering rack end of this pipe. (not the connection itself but where the connection is fitted tot he pipe.
Hope this helps

cheers chris

steve2k6

Thanks Chris,

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I can see any traces of fluid.

Anyone else got any input!

regards Ste

steve2k6

Anyone!!! Surely there is more than one person experienced problems

stevekkk1

Jul 25, 2009
Camberley, Surrey
iv got a leak where the power steering pipe connects to the power steering pump, not sure if its the pipe, the pump of the washer between the two. im also looking on here for more info

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
Had my LCR serviced yesterday (80K miles). I was told that my power steering pipe was misting slightly at the gearbox end. They said it wasn't too bad and that some misting is normal; just told me just to keep an eye on the power steering fluid levels.

Quote to fix was £200 all in.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
The crimp on the pipe between the pump and the rack can leak a bit at the rack end. This pipe costs £150 + labour to replace.
I have recently fixed a leak at the other end of this pipe where it joins the pump. Fluid was seeping from the connection, so I removed everything and replaced the washer with fibre washers, nipped it all up and so far so good :D

stevekkk1

Jul 25, 2009
Camberley, Surrey
finally got round to fixing my power steering leak, it was cuming from the power steering pressure switch, replaced switch and washer, all good now. also got told they use green power steering fluid, not red atf as i was previously told

CD

Jul 9, 2009
east sussex
i know it,s an old thread but thought this might be helpfull to someone have a leak from the same pipe and have found somewhere that will make me a new pipe for £70 there allso is a thread where one was made for less the £50 by http://www.pirtek.co.uk/
it's a 9.5 mm hose and a 16 or 17 banjo

Last edited:

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
Does anyone know the size of the washer stevekkk1 is talking about? Or could find out from etka etc if it shows that info. Need to replace mine thanks

Found this picture

It's washer 7 near to the red circle

Last edited:

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
Top man Thankyou very much! Going to pm you another question now hope you dot mind!

monk3y303

Jun 16, 2014
bradford
Sorry to bring up old thread but the pipe which is number 8 any one know where I can get this mine has just split next to the union .. thanks

monk3y303

Jun 16, 2014
bradford
Its the one that comes from the back of the reservoitr down behind the engine into the steering rack on an lcr so the banjo is behind the drivers wheel

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Must be s common fault as my LCR has a leak coming from the pas pump just not sure where yet. Maybe I will replace the o rings on the pipe where is joins the pump. The fluid was so low it was off the dipstick plus it had the wrong fluid in it so I flushed it out and replaced with the proper central hydraulic fluid and put some stop leak in and it hasn't dropped much in the last month.