Pro alloy fmic

arron2004

Cupra Boy
Mar 1, 2007
Nottingham J25 M1
Robbie there is not a chance your keeping that oe mesh mate it tight as is with out it! I brought the kit off neil pj1985 yes they do supply brackets with the kit but they do not sit it central like the ones alex makes!

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
The brackets in the kit are for moving the rad back. So are the brackets alex has made you for moving the cooler mounting and nothing to do with moving the rad back?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Cool. Didnt quite understand how the rad spacing brackets helped it be centrally mounted! lol Then it twigged it must be other brackets you were talking about.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Damnit, I'm after some rad brackets not cooler ones :(

I've been speaking with Cupra-neil who had David Smith's A+M Motorsport cooler before him and that's 65mm deep. He managed to keep his OE mesh by moving the rad back and sanding some of the mesh back to make it a bit thinner. I reckon a few seconds on a bandfacer and job's a good'un. Where there's a will... :)

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Damnit, I'm after some rad brackets not cooler ones :(

I've been speaking with Cupra-neil who had David Smith's A+M Motorsport cooler before him and that's 65mm deep. He managed to keep his OE mesh by moving the rad back and sanding some of the mesh back to make it a bit thinner. I reckon a few seconds on a bandfacer and job's a good'un. Where there's a will... :)

Not just me that was getting confused then.

Maybe with a different cooler you will be able to but I guarantee you there is no way you would be able to keep the OE mesh with the Pro Alloy one.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I've been doing a lot of thinking around this and decided I want Forge to make me a custom replication of the A+M motorsport one, with a core of 540 x 170 x 65:

AMfmic7.jpg

AMfmic6.jpg

Keeping the OE mesh:

AMfmic5.jpg

This is the same one David Smith used to run, now on Chris Curzon's car. While it's a bit thicker than I'd ideally like it means I can run 2.5" pipework for optimal flow - just trying to find a custom ali fabricator at the mo which is the tricky part. Fitting will also be a bit of a bitch, having to move the rad, use a smaller washer bottle, move the horn and probably trim the bumper.

I think if I tried to run a 40mm cooler (but taller for more surface area) with 63.5mm (2.5") end tanks the core itself would become a resriction on the air flow with a considerable step down from 63.5mm to 40mm. The whole thing is a bit of a fine balance really - hard to say which is the "perfect" setup. This is for a K03S Hybrid build

What I really need to determine are the core sizes of the Forge and Pro Alloy kits to see how the volumes compare to this setup. I imagine the Pro Alloy is a bit big for a k0x turbo and I'd be worried about inducing pressure loss

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
The bumper is trimmed on the outer edges near the fog lights to allow for the 2.5" pipework, plus the mesh does need to be sanded for it to remain in place.

That said, looking at the universal build guide at http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202413, I figure if you use the L brackets like the standard Forge design and move the rad back as well I should have more clearance at the front, rather than mounting it like this:

21092008273.jpg

More like this:

SDC11184.jpg

Then this just means that I'm sitting the IC right up against the bottom of the rad, not sure whether there's any major issue here or not

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Cupra-neil's old one, that then went on David Smiths and now Chris Curzon's Ibiza. I believe this was provided as a kit from A+M, but they are no longer trading hence I'm also trying to find an ali fabricator who may be able to make these pipes up. Failing that, it'll have to be stainless from an exhaust fabricator.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
My concern with the Forge cooler is that the pipework is restrictive and the cooler isn't designed for 280-300 BHP, whereas the Pro Alloy comes with sub standard pipework (albeit a better route) and the core seems too big for a k0x turbo, better suited for BTs so I need something suited to this application with optimum flowing pipework.

From reading other threads about the AM FMIC I believe it is somewhere in between the two cores (but can't confirm this as I can't find the core dimensions for the Forge or Pro Alloy anywhere) and should flow very well with 2.5" mandrel bent pipework.

RS Fabrications appear to do a lot of work for ProDrive and come highly recommended on Ed38. They've quoted £400 for a fully custom mandrel bent aluminium pipework setup, bearing in mind I don't even have a template for them to work from so it's fully custom. I'm tempted to see what they quote for a cooler to see how this compares with Forge.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Yeap, but try finding anywhere else cheaper for custom made mandrel bent aluminium. In my eyes this offers the best setup, but admitedly not the cheapest (when is this ever the case).