problem starting the tolly

bluetoledo

Jun 4, 2009
went out to start the toledo 1.9 tdi 110 this morning and its struggled to start. kept sort of just choking and then eventully it fired in to life. been making a few starnge noises latley like a knocking sound when im low down in the rev range I.E 1500rpm or lower. drives ok and everything but noise seems to be getting louder and then this morning with the whole starting thing? any ideas?

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
When was it last serviced? The fuel filter been changed? Been filled up from a reputable petrol station with decent fuel?

Have a check around the Oil cap for mayo, and the dipstick too. Have a look in the coolant res for some signs of oil. Check the aux belt and if you can, just whip off the cambelt cover, there are just some clips around the edges of it, no actual nuts of bolts holding it on. Check the belt is ok.

Start the car up and have a look for smoke, any colour, black/blue/white.

Where abouts is the knock coming from in the engine?

bluetoledo

Jun 4, 2009
not sure when it was last serviced to be honest. recently though i think as i know its been taken care of. might get a new set of plugs and fuel filter and see if its that.

not sure where knock is coming from but its only low down the rev range which is weird. maybe a good service is in order.

also its started doing something really weird. sometimes it will just start shaking and make the whole car shake. looked at it yesterday when it was doing it and the engine was practically rocking in the engine bay. not sure if my right side engine mount is knackered or not.

no smoke either by the way, not even when gunning it.

problems problems [:@]

Last edited:

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Right well give it a service, oil, filters, (no need to do the plugs ;) tis a diesel so there are only glow plugs) There arnt many things thatll cause knocking, but do have a look at the aux belt tensioner, its on the left of the engine, under the boost pipe from intercooler to inlet, i had a knock when it went, you may be able to see the strut hanging about and hitting the PAS pump pulley. Does it go louder when you turn the wheel at idle or put the Aircon on?

If the engine is moving so much, then a mount may be the cause. see if you can rock it about in the bay when its not running.

bluetoledo

Jun 4, 2009
sorry i meant change the glow plugs because if there not heating up right then this could be the cause of my starting problem?

gonna have a major service and change everything on it for new stuff.

the rocking is quite excessive and i can easily rock it about in the engine bay with one hand so i think a new one of those is in order as well.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
What mileage has it covered? Some while back you posted that it had 54K on, and later that it was a T-plate. You're approaching the mileage for a cambelt change, but are well over the age limit for the belt (5 years) If there is no evidence of a cambelt service haveing been done, then I'd say you should make that a priority.

It is just possible that rough running could be a symptom of a cambelt getting worn - they are toothed flexible belts, and crack up with age and mileage. This belt drives cams, diesel pump and water pump so is critical for timing engine events, and if it breaks, goodbye engine.

If you do need to change it, change the water pump at the same time. The pump costs about £30, but the cambelt has to come off to change it, so best to do it now. Older engines like yours and mine had pumps with plastic impellers, which are known to break up.

Knocking at low rpm could well be the engine mounts, as already discussed. Mounts usually last a lot longer than 54K miles, though. There are three, one each side and one underneath (the dog-bone mount)

Glow plugs aren't likely to be giving you problems in this weather. Mid-winter, yes, but not high summer.

Fuel filter is a service item, and is due for replacement, as is the air filter and the pollen filter on the ventilation system. Fuel filter and air filter could both be the source of starting issues if they've been neglected for too long.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.