Project B7 420-R. Base Car ‘12 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
So after roasting a B5 RS4 clutch in a stock RS4 Avant, I have decided to go with a B7 RS4 clutch. This naturally means a new flywheel.

My original will be for sale, if anyone’s interested. It’s a TTV Racing single mass steel flywheel, for an 8-bolt crank. Never been used. I am going with a C5-specific flywheel this time, 10-bolt fitment, that accepts a B7 RS4 clutch. It comes in 2 weights - 5.6 and 9.0 kgs. I have opted for the 9.0 kg version.

My manifolds will be ready in the next 2 weeks. Thanks for being patient, and following this far.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
I got my intercoolers pressure tested, and they’ve been given a clean bill of health.

So I got both painted in satin black paint. I’ve never liked silver intercoolers. Just waiting for my manifolds, and I’ve got to decide what spec I want the turbos to be built to.

Must support Stage 3.

2MBfNYU.jpg

UCWXbow.jpg

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
So due to needing another car while my other “B7 Avant” is going through one of it’s phases, I pulled the trigger on a daily.

It’s a 2006 B7 A4 2.0T S-Line Quattro Avant. I’m curious to see how it stacks up against the 2013 B7 SEAT Exeo ST Sport Tech, in terms of handling and equipment.

We all love pictures, so here goes! I won’t have any more until tomorrow.

O4qvjU3.jpg

wp9IIF0.jpg

mixVckk.jpg

HFkRxUE.jpg

BMyM0bV.jpg

c9EOIMD.jpg

A7mo577.jpg

Z0hALek.jpg

hxk048L.jpg

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
So after a long talk yesterday with a fellow Audi enthusiast, I now have a shop that is going to handle the bodywork side of project B7 420-R.

A lot of shops I approached, though they had excellent work, they were not Audi enthusiasts, or car enthusiasts either. They only wanted to do quick turnaround insurance jobs. It was also hard making them understand the concept of going OEM widebody on a B7 Avant.

With a VAG-based shop that handles a lot of Audi models, and is no stranger to blending in a C7 front end onto a C6 A6, it was easy to get the shop to understand what I’m trying to achieve. The owner actually took the time to send me a portfolio of jobs - before, during and completed projects.

I’m going to visit his shop next Saturday. I will be stripping down the car, delivering it with the B7 RS4 parts. And putting it all back together after the panelling and paintwork is done.

My newly-acquired 2006 B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Avant S-Line will take over daily duties. The Audi is an immaculate example, totally stock, and a candidate for a B7 RS4 widebody conversion, I have already begun to acquire parts for it. And I’m in negotiations with the purchase of an Audi, as an engine donor. More on that later!

c9EOIMD.jpg

WP0vEOB.jpg

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Do you ever get confused which car is for what lol

As an Audi guy which looks better out of the pictures above... Even though they're pretty much identical I just feel the SEAT has a little more character either that or the paint is better I'm not sure...

So you're going to have a monster Exeo conversion, a doner A4, a daily A4 with a wide body conversion am I missing anything?

It's going to be fun no matter what lol

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
Jimbobcook, no more Audi donor.

I was going to buy a rough B6/7 as an R&D car, to trial fit the C5 RS6 motor, to ensure the manifolds and turbos clear the tunnel.

but after building a template to build new headers, there’s no need to trial fit. I’ll just tear out the SEAT engine, and go for it!

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
So, next Saturday, I’m making an 8-hour round trip, to meet up with the shop owner who’s going to be handling B7 420-R.

Then we’re setting a date for the work to commence. My newly-acquired B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Avant will be taking the place of my SEAT as a daily in the meantime.

Despite the distance between my base and the shop, I’m going to be closely involved in the evolution of humble SEAT Exeo ST Sport Tech to wide and aggressive B7 420-R. I’m super excited to finally start. The bodywork side of things will officially mark the commencement of Phase 1 of my build.

I’ll be making arrangements to get my B7 RS4 Avant parts trucked down, along with my genuine B7 RS4 wheels.

Keep watching guys!

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
I’m about 3 hours into my trip to the body shop. It’s almost 5 hours each way!

I finished the graveyard shift at work, and straight onto the road. I’m just having my second refreshment break.

So tired. Thank God for coffee!

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
I’m back home after a 533 mile round trip, to engage a shop that’s going to handle Phase 1 of B7 420-R’s build. OEM RS4 widebody, and bumpers.

The owner of the shop is a true VAG nut. I looked over some of his work whilst I was there, and the standard of workmanship is excellent. You can say he knows his ****.

And no, it’s not going to look like your regular B7 RS4 Avant, or a B7 RS4 clone / replica. There’s going to be a twist. You’re just going to have to wait and see what it is!

I’m picking up my newly purchased B7 A4 2.0T S-Line Avant on Monday. The SEAT Exeo ST will be delivered to the shop in the next few weeks.

I can’t wait to get Phase 1 done.

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
So yesterday, I picked up the Audi.

I drove it the 60-odd miles back. It didn’t take even 2 miles of driving to reaffirm my belief, that despite the cheaper MRSP and the non-Audi badge, the Spanish car trumps the German, both in handling and equipment levels.

The SEAT feels more nimble and composed on twisty roads, where the Audi feels cumbersome and unsettled in certain road conditions, at certain speeds. The 2.0T motor in stock form, despite its 200hp output, lacks the urgent punch the 2.0 CR TDI 170 has, despite the 30hp deficit.

I drove the Audi last night, and I’d forgotten just how poor the halogen non-projector headlamps were. Facelift B5 halogen projectors are like in a different league. I found myself toggling between main and dipped beams. With the SEAT, the BiXenon setup is out of this world.

Both cars are Sport models.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro S-Aline.
SEAT Exeo ST 2.0 CR TDI 170 Sport Tech.

The Audi’s equipment level is pretty basic, compared to the SEAT. The only extra the Audi has over the SEAT, is a sunroof! It doesn’t even have a front arm rest.

The Audi has the following as extras:

- Electric lumbar support.
- Electric sunroof.
- Rear door blinds.

The SEAT has the following as extras:

- RNS-E.
- BOSE.
- Colour DIS.
- Full DIS (Highline).
- Front and rear PDC.
- BiXenon headlamps with AFS.
- Electric folding mirrors.
- Auto-dim interior mirror.
- Black sports heated leather interior.
- Front armrest.
- Headlamp wash.
- Auto headlamps.
- Coming / leaving home.
- Auto wipers.
- LED DRL’s.

The Audi has the following as standard:

- Audi Symphony I.

The SEAT has the following as standard:

- Bluetooth.
- MFSW.
- SDS.
- Cruise.
- Shift light.

Even the base Exeo, the 2.0 CR TDI 120 S has the same standard equipment, which is standard on the 2.0 CR TDI 170 Sport Tech.

The Audi needs a LOT of retrofits, to get it even close to the SEAT trim level, but I’m going to enjoy doing so. I won’t be making any big changes though, until at least Phase 1 is completed on the SEAT.

7qSioCn.jpg

A3Pq1se.jpg

reF4sHJ.jpg

6RyFH8F.jpg

Last edited:

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Wow, this is a serious build. Makes scrap heap challenege look like Meccano.

So let me get this straight, you had an audi B6 that you'd modified previously and you've taken your drivetrain off that and sold the car.

You now have a Seat Exeo that all this is going in, but you also have an A4 as your daily that you cosnidered swapping the build on to?

I'm sure others have found the thread a little confusing to follow but I can't wait to see the end product. I wonder if the car will make it to any forum meets once its finished?

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
Wow, this is a serious build. Makes scrap heap challenege look like Meccano.

So let me get this straight, you had an audi B6 that you'd modified previously and you've taken your drivetrain off that and sold the car.

You now have a Seat Exeo that all this is going in, but you also have an A4 as your daily that you cosnidered swapping the build on to?

I'm sure others have found the thread a little confusing to follow but I can't wait to see the end product. I wonder if the car will make it to any forum meets once its finished?

Thanks for your response.

The A4 is a daily, that I’ll be using while the SEAT Exeo is being done. The Audi will be a build in its own right, once the SEAT is completed. The quattro drivetrain from my old B6 will go onto the SEAT.

None of the parts for the SEAT build are going onto the Audi.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
I was looking into a 2-tone dash, using B6/7 Convertible parts.

I had some work done back in 2015 on a B4 Convertible. Replacement rear screen, and the trimmer came up trumps.

He works on high-end cars like Bentleys, Rollers, Aston Martin etc. He actually trims for dealerships.

Besides trimming, he can personalise an interior to whatever is required.

He will be making me a custom interior, including the roof lining. I’m just looking for a pair of Recaro Wingbacks.

I am also having the dash trimmed in 2-tone leather, with stitching to match the car’s exterior.

I am having custom logo’s going on the front back rests, where there would usually be an RS4. These will be embossed, rather than embroidered.

So I’m going to be purchasing a spare dash, upper and lower parts, as well as the centre console, B6/7 Avant / Sedan door cards.

The car (SEAT Exeo ST) is going into the body shop in the next 2 weeks.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
He will be making me a custom interior, including the roof lining. I’m just looking for a pair of Recaro Wingbacks.
You going fancy materials throughout like leathers etc or just keeping the normal roof liner material but better lol

I am also having the dash trimmed in 2-tone leather, with stitching to match the car’s exterior.
Do you know what colour leather you're going for already? it would take me weeks to work it out haha I assume getting things more snug with leather will stop quite a few rattles as well if you have any.

I am having custom logo’s going on the front back rests, where there would usually be an RS4. These will be embossed, rather than embroidered.
Please tell me it's a SEATCUPRA.NET logo haha (I know it isn't), be really good to get this Exeo to one or a few of our meets, i'd love to see it in person! I'm not massively technical so i'll just look and not touch haha

After you started it felt like an engine swap to a beefy engine along with the extra goodies and that was about it, now it feels like this is 1 - going to cost a fortune lol 2 - be about as unique as it gets

Nollywood

Aug 27, 2018
Everywhere
You going fancy materials throughout like leathers etc or just keeping the normal roof liner material but better lol

Do you know what colour leather you're going for already? it would take me weeks to work it out haha I assume getting things more snug with leather will stop quite a few rattles as well if you have any.

Please tell me it's a SEATCUPRA.NET logo haha (I know it isn't), be really good to get this Exeo to one or a few of our meets, i'd love to see it in person! I'm not massively technical so i'll just look and not touch haha

After you started it felt like an engine swap to a beefy engine along with the extra goodies and that was about it, now it feels like this is 1 - going to cost a fortune lol 2 - be about as unique as it gets

Hi Jimbo,

The roof lining will be suede / alcantara in charcoal. This will be based upon the original roof lining.

I already know what colours I’m going with.

I definitely plan to visit as many meets as I can next year.

This project has certainly evolved from the original concept, which began in 2016, with the original base car being a 2003 B6 A4 3.0 Quattro Avant!

Reactions: bigT's lcr

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Hi Jimbo,

The roof lining will be suede / alcantara in charcoal. This will be based upon the original roof lining.

I already know what colours I’m going with.

I definitely plan to visit as many meets as I can next year.

This project has certainly evolved from the original concept, which began in 2016, with the original base car being a 2003 B6 A4 3.0 Quattro Avant!
Literally CAN NOT WAIT to see this built. Keep up the good work buddy :thumbup:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members