Project Campervan?

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Slightly off topic but I'm sure many of you have considered or even done this, but has anyone ever converted a VW T5 (or T4) van into a camper?
My partner's newest "brainwave" appears to be this, and I'm looking for some advice on the subject.
What to look out for?
Do's and don'ts?
The major difficulties?
In my head, the best starting point would be a LWB T5 with a double cab/rear seats and some rear windows.
I'm leaning towards a newer T5 over an older one, because I will absolutely need AC and I don't want a 1.9PD engine.

Any help or pictures will be appreciated!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Never done it myself, but I have covered just over 600,000 miles in a previous job as a self-employed courier running a collection of T4s.
A/C is deffo a must.
Plenty of reading here (if you haven't found it already!). Don't be put off by the title, the forum covers T5 and T6 also:

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
I can't remember if it was Car SOS or something where they did a restoration of a T5...

Wheeler dealers did a T5 conversion i think

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Can’t speak from experience but I know someone that did a conversion himself.
He bought a minibus / caravelle type one as a base, that way the sound deadening and insulation was already installed, along with a better equipment list as standard.
He bought a ready made kit with the rock n roll bed, the side cupboards and the folding table etc.
Looked smart when it was done.

Reactions: Mike the_cupra
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members