Project Polo turbo update.... + a few questions!

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
Hello all,
Finally nearly finished my polo 1.8t conversion, I just need the Exhaust and remap.

Here's my spec so far:

AYP engine, gearbox & ECU (156hp)
K04-23 Turbo & Manifold
S3 injectors + MAF (225hp)
S3 Fuel pump (225hp)
Forge FMIC
Forge TIP & Split R D/V
4BAR FPR

I am getting the Turbo back custom exhaust done in birmingham so getting towed there, I was hoping I can drive back home once the exhaust is on (55miles) and then another 50 miles the next day to MRC for the remap...
Is this ok? From what I've read, the engine will hit limp mode as its going to be de-catted and also running more boost from the k04, but would it be ok to drive economically to my destinations?
A mate tells me that as I am running bigger injectors & the 4bar fpr it will run too rich??

Any advise please??

Here are a few photos....

DSC01962.jpg

DSC01915.jpg

DSC01921.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

DSC01941.jpg

DSC01909.jpg

Thanks for looking, and many many thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way with your advise... badger5, craig, hooch, mk1golf_jack and everyone else.... this is the BEST forum on the net! !:D
If it wasnt for you SEAT guys I would never get this conversion done!:happy:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
if you're dragging it to the exhaust place, you may as well drag it home again

it will save you a lot of heart ache in case the car runs lean & melts stuff.....

then drag it to MRC as well

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
nice work, but surely this should be in a different part of the forum?

True, but im using the same engine as the people here and they have the best advise!

Cheers Mork your right..... the only reason I wanted to drive it is because I have so many second hand parts & its custom, I just want to makesure everything runs ok before I put even more strain on the engine with the re-map.... but I think I am going to tow it everywhere, I've spent alot of money so far, it makes sense to pay another £100 to get me home & to MRC.

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
Have you got an a/f gauge? I'd only drive it if i had one eye on a gauge and dint boot it.

Hi mate no I only have a boost gauge and EGT gauge....:(
I have a couple of wideband sensors in the garage from an S3 D/P and my polo exhaust, but I cant find a decent a/f gauge, apart from £200 ones!

I have seen many of the cheap ones but I heard they are no good?

I really really want to drive the car before I take it MRC, I dont want to get there then they say no as the car is not 100% functional, then I have to go back to leciester and sort out the problems first..

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Tricky one really. With something like your doing it might be worth investing in an a/f gauge anyway. But to be honest you'll soon know when you start the car and idle it if somethings up.

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
wideband gauge is a wise investment.
ibiza ecu is dumb switching lambda.

Hi Bill, what do u mean by the ECU is dumb switching lambda?
Sorry if thats a dumb question!

I had to get 2 new o2 sensors as the harness needed the 4wire sensors & I had a few 6wire ones.

You and PhilW recommend getting a wideband meter, so im going to buy one...

Any advise on which company is better to go with?

Thanks every1 for your advise and comments!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Basically the ibiza uses narrowband lambdas so doesnt directly control the fuelling with them, its uses MAF g/s and injector time.

Innovate Xd-16 standalone i was gonna go for but it looks like i'm gettin a zeitronix display with EGT and a/f now.

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
Tricky one really. With something like your doing it might be worth investing in an a/f gauge anyway. But to be honest you'll soon know when you start the car and idle it if somethings up.

I've found a Innovative LC1 wideband controller and sensor for £140 on ebay.
I think it needs connecting to the laptop, doesnt have a gauge...
Would that be ok?

I would makesure I ahve a passanger holding the laptop making sure everything is ok?

Once I am mapped up I wont really need the o2 meter and I dont really want to add another gauge!

mk1golf_jack

Golf nut
Mar 13, 2007
Herts
I think it would be wise to have it constantly set up with a gauge. If the fuel pump goes and you cant keep a constant eye on AFR then it will blow up. Im going to have the gauge in mate

Ninja

Cupra now gone :(
Oct 1, 2005
Reading
www.peugeot-gti.net
wow top work there.. Thats gonna be awesome when its finished..:thumbup:

Really love all the euro polos but they never had an engine worthy! Would love to see more info on this when finished!! :D

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
only just seen this thread! its good to see sum pics of it after all of our pm's back and forth!!

mrc told me to go back to them once i had EGT and wideband!

it will be a better map if they can monitor them both! hence my map being total shite!!

Good luck

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
your ibiza was also mapped by them and look what bill said about the map....

agreed top blokes and maybe good mappers on tt/s4 etc but i was impressed with there custom ibiza mapping skills....

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
your ibiza was also mapped by them and look what bill said about the map....

agreed top blokes and maybe good mappers on tt/s4 etc but i was impressed with there custom ibiza mapping skills....

Exactly...... when nick bought your K04 kit, why could it not keep up with a K03s ibiza running on K03 mapping @ the time???

Certainly not 280bhp level claimed by a long long margin.
thats what I saw and logged... it just did'nt go like you would expect a K04 car to go. His previous LCR would have blown the ibiza away, which from the same turbo, much heavier car, should never be possible.. (and the LCR was Custom coded)

I was not knocking MRC, but there was something wrong with that ibiza running your k04 bits, and MRC tuned ecu, if all that was told to me was true. some fault somewhere on it, but sold on soon after he bought it.

ibiza ecu's are a law unto themselves, as JBS James has found on my own motor.. awkward SOB of an ecu.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.