Pros and Cons to remapping.

Jul 9, 2020
Hi, I’ve had my 61 plate Leon FR 2.0L TDI (140bhp) for just over 3 years now, I’ve never done anything to the car itself as I don’t use it much. But I’m just wondering what are the pros and cons to stage 1 remapping it? Thanks in advance

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Pro’s
Faster

Con’s
Increased wear to driveline / engine / turbo / clutch
Increased insurance premiums
Possible more soot out the back which kills polar bears

Reactions: 97KLP

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Pros: Fun.
Cons: Not much for a stage 1. It's a software map only so doesn't require any hardware changes. Turbos have an overhead built in which mappers exploit. For my CR170 it was well worth it. Insurance went up £30 for the year and they didn't seem fussed I'd done it at all.

I think the important part of any map is yes, more power puts more strain on the clutch, turbo, etc. However, do you plan on redlining it off every set of traffic lights and going for 0-60 dragy times? If not then generally you won't be using more than stock power... but the extra is there if you need it. But TBH if your driving like that all the time anyway, even with a stock map your in for lower lifespan on parts.

The only warning I would give is I'm not sure on that particular model. But if you have a DPF fitted, the DPF will have to cope with the extra soot and it will shorten the life of the DPF as it can only handle a finite amount of soot.

Reactions: 97KLP
Jul 9, 2020
Pros: Fun.
Cons: Not much for a stage 1. It's a software map only so doesn't require any hardware changes. Turbos have an overhead built in which mappers exploit. For my CR170 it was well worth it. Insurance went up £30 for the year and they didn't seem fussed I'd done it at all.

I think the important part of any map is yes, more power puts more strain on the clutch, turbo, etc. However, do you plan on redlining it off every set of traffic lights and going for 0-60 dragy times? If not then generally you won't be using more than stock power... but the extra is there if you need it. But TBH if your driving like that all the time anyway, even with a stock map your in for lower lifespan on parts.

The only warning I would give is I'm not sure on that particular model. But if you have a DPF fitted, the DPF will have to cope with the extra soot and it will shorten the life of the DPF as it can only handle a finite amount of soot.
Cheers Not got a problem with how it is at the minute, I’d just like the idea of it being quicker or having something quicker in general. Been told numerous time that if I want something faster, then buy faster

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea, get the FR 170 and I believe you get better brakes and suspension along with the 170 engine?

Also then it remaps to 210ishif you find that power bores you.

johnodeleyo

Jan 14, 2018
I have a CR 170 mapped to 230. If you service the car when you're supposed to and get a good map you wont have any problems. It shouldn't make much difference to your insurance either.

However if you are happy with your 140 then i'd just stick with it. You said you don't use it much. The diesel engine has a lot of emissions stuff which needs to be defeated to unleash the full performance. Even if you do a map, it will put more strain on the DPF and the EGR valve. If you do mainly short journeys this wont be good for your car or wallet.

Personally i've come to the conclusion that 2.0 Tdi just aren't that exciting. Once you're on the motorway theres not much difference between a 140/170/210. They will all make light work of overtakes and slip road mergers. On country roads its hard work keeping it in the right rev range to maximise the power. Changing your car to get a 30bhp boost in power just doesn't seem right (unless you have the 1.6 TDI).

if you don't use the car much sell it and get a petrol. TDIs are about efficiency. Not go-faster thrills.

If I could go back I would get a leon cupra or a 2.0 TFSI FR and map that. Easy 250bhp. With a few small upgrades over 300+. No dpf, no egr no worries, lighter, much better sound and thrill. The Golf R looks interesting as well but it would probably get stolen.

Terminator

Aug 21, 2020
Hi, i recently bought a FR+ SuperCopa.
Im hoping to get information as to what all is required to achieve 230bhp (i believe this is the standard turbo limit)?

I was going to install a DPF delete downpipe, gut the backbox & remap - how much would this achieve & why else could i do e.g swirl flap removal, 4 Bar MAP sensor...

Thanks

johnodeleyo

Jan 14, 2018
You can get 230 with the stock parts if the car has been well maintained and serviced correctly.

If you have money to blow however then go for it. I don't think there's any point going further than stage 1 on 170 tdi - unless you want to for the thrills.

Why do you want to do this?

Hi, i recently bought a FR+ SuperCopa.
Im hoping to get information as to what all is required to achieve 230bhp (i believe this is the standard turbo limit)?

I was going to install a DPF delete downpipe, gut the backbox & remap - how much would this achieve & why else could i do e.g swirl flap removal, 4 Bar MAP sensor...

Thanks

Terminator

Aug 21, 2020
I just want to maximise thd standard turbo & give the car a 60bhp kick up the a**e.
Im wondering is there any benefit from having the swirl flaps removed & is it a big job?
Car has 117k miles on it & was very well maintained / serviced.
Thanks

Terminator

Aug 21, 2020
Is it worth cleaning the inlet manifold or removing swirl flaps?
Im going to install a 0 - 35psi diesel boost gauge also.
Im going to gut backbox & fit a DPF delete pipe then remap it (should see at least 220bhp)...

Terminator

Aug 21, 2020
Im getting my exhaust backbox gutted & inlet manifold cleaned today, that should release a pony or two ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.