quarter mile times

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Mine was 16.7 ish from memory when 'standard'. My last timed run is in my sig - 16.08 with 136bhp (rechip, panel filter & cold air feed - oh an no interior).

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
Not meaning to have go at anyone but people who say buy a 16v and start there , I'm only 18 years old and have just spent around 3k buying and insuring my 8v and I'm living on less than 1000 pound a month with insurance payments and other commitments coming off that also so I'm not in a position to buy and run a 16v or I would have got one . On the street the 8v feels fast to me because I'm used to the 1.4 day to day , so until I'm able to comfortably afford a 16v id like to have a go at making the most of what I have , also thanks to all the people who have offerd there advice , I now have a panel filter and cold air feed on order and will hopefully be purchasing a decat and custom midsection in the near future , I went to get a quote for a custom system and it turns out I have the full magnex and not the bacbox

Sorry for the essay just wanted to clear things up lol

Cole

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Filters and exhausts will do sweet fa, noise will be enhanced but power increase will be nominal or nill. Most people advise against a decat on an 8v due to the effect on low down torque.......and we love da torque :)

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I understand from your age that a 16v's insurance costs would be higher, but won't insuring a modded 8v increase it as high?

A cheap mod would a 1.8 cam from a MK2 golf, a few people on her run them, they're slightly more aggressive than the 2.0 ones. Just get someone knowledgeable to install it. I'm told the there's 10bhp to be had there

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
8v's are such great cars....mine is great.

ive got a exhaust system on there and induction kit with a SS induction pipe. I keep the throttle body clean and it runs sweet. Its not a world beater but i'd say its pick up has improved a bit with the ad on's..

to be honest mate with the 8v's you just have to know your limit. When i was younger ( god listen to me i am only 24 now) and i first got my hands on the 8v it was fun having the edge over the ztec boys :gay: vtr boys :gay: and the clio queens...:gay: but sometimes its easier just to accpet its not really cost effective to make the 8v any faster than it is. Unless you go for a bit of NOS...:whistle:

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
modded 8v wouldnt be as high on insurance as the 16v cupra is gp 14 and mines as it stands is only group 10 , i was quoted 2300 quid to insure a 16v cupra , and yeah the normal gti 16v are group 11 but trying to find a genuine one is pretty hard with pedro just whacking badges on , as for the 1.8 cam i thoght it was just the 16v this applyed to with the cams from a golf 2 kr engine and the abf engine , not 100% tho , i understand that the 8v isnt a screaming engine but i just thought that it would and could be better than it is :)

gticupra123

Dec 21, 2008
berkshire
8v's are such great cars....mine is great.

ive got a exhaust system on there and induction kit with a SS induction pipe. I keep the throttle body clean and it runs sweet. Its not a world beater but i'd say its pick up has improved a bit with the ad on's..

to be honest mate with the 8v's you just have to know your limit. When i was younger ( god listen to me i am only 24 now) and i first got my hands on the 8v it was fun having the edge over the ztec boys :gay: vtr boys :gay: and the clio queens...:gay: but sometimes its easier just to accpet its not really cost effective to make the 8v any faster than it is. Unless you go for a bit of NOS...:whistle:

seriously? i get done by the fiesta zetec s's and its even with a vtr,

maybe its not running right?

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
seriously? i get done by the fiesta zetec s's and its even with a vtr,

maybe its not running right?

Comes down to driver a bit on those two, i can have them both, not by much mind but i've had four mk2's and 50k+ under my belt with them so i hope i've got it about right now.

Saxo boys have cornering and weight advantage, Zetec guys have even power and the fiesta's handling. You have to pick your moments to do battle ;)

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Not meaning to have go at anyone but people who say buy a 16v and start there , I'm only 18 years old and have just spent around 3k buying and insuring my 8v ...

I know exactly how you feel. I bought my 8v GTi back in 1997, having just turned 23, and having been out of uni & working for 8 months. I got rid of my 45bhp Polo 'bread van' and bought the Ibiza as it was Gp 10 insurance. It was something with a VAG badge that had a bit of go but didn't cost the earth to insure, was better than any equivalent Polo of that era, and cheaper than a Golf to buy and insure.

Now, over 12 years later, I still own the car, and in many circumstances, it is a lot more fun to drive than my S3. OK, its not as drop dead fast, but over the 12 years, I've spent a lot of time and effort getting the car just how I like it. A nice twisty road or a tight roundabout and I'll have more fun in the Ibiza than in the Audi.

So yes, there is plenty of fun to be had with an 8v. Go out and enjoy it.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i ran a 14.9 at fast show this year with a really bad reaction time lol

unless it's in a combined competition then disregard reaction times, just take ya time, go green and keep ya cool

chasing the tree and trying to beat the other lane is a sure fire way of blowing a decent time

to dig out an old vid :):) but a good one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwh8dP-gD50

on the day:

8v = 16.7
16v = 16.2

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
with regard to fiestas and saxos , mine has about 2 lengths over a ztc s at about an eighth mile then edges away a bit further by the end , saxos are left well behind on the backroads but possibly to do with the fact im running coilovers and ive just put some fresh proxes 4s on , think im going to go down the same route as jcs356 in terms of modifying , but drop a cam in while im at it , get the suspension set right and maybe try an outing at knockhill rather than a quarter mile , id prefer a race around twisties as then it is almost purely down to the driver , oh and about the cam , anyone know if a mk1 golf 1.8 cam will fit ? , only thing is that it is a high lift cam for the golf so maybe it would be too agressive for the 2.0 ?

GtiBoy

DubbedOut Owner
May 5, 2009
Botswana
www.dubbedoutclub.tk
i was up at crail yesterday and put the 8v on the strip to see what i could do , frankyl i was quite dissapointed when it only ran a 16.6 from a 2.0 8v , i was beat by a 1.6 single cam vtec crx with a girl driving and a old shape fiesta zetec s wasnt far behind either ( 3 car lengths or so ) , what times have other people ran in comparasin to a 16.6 from a near ( magnex bacbox ) standard 8v ?

Crx's are quite quick when they get the revs up. Like all honda's

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.