quarter mile times

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
i was up at crail yesterday and put the 8v on the strip to see what i could do , frankyl i was quite dissapointed when it only ran a 16.6 from a 2.0 8v , i was beat by a 1.6 single cam vtec crx with a girl driving and a old shape fiesta zetec s wasnt far behind either ( 3 car lengths or so ) , what times have other people ran in comparasin to a 16.6 from a near ( magnex bacbox ) standard 8v ?

gticupra123

Dec 21, 2008
berkshire
I ran a 16.1 with just a catback exhaust system on my 8v gti. I think the last time it was serviced was about 30k ago tho :rolleyes:

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
id be happy enough if i could get it down to maybe a 15.8 or something , as mine just had a full service apart from air and fuel filters , im going to invest in a decat and full system soon then a decent ind kit and possibly a cam , hopefully then it will be a bit better:D

gticupra123

Dec 21, 2008
berkshire
I heard that a decat isn't good for a 8v loses some of its low-down torque apperantly?

Yea i want to cam mine aswell but haven't seen many places that sell them.

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
i contacted a palce called the engine shop ( found there advert in the back of pvw) as the y do cams for the 2.0 8v golf which in most cases uses the same engine , they said they could supply a fast road cam for £175+vat , yeah thats what i have heard about decats also but i think the 8v needs a bit more higher up the rev range , as i was able to get off the line and away to change into 3rd gear before vtec kicked in an it went past me , same when racing the fiesta , he was catching me nearer the end when my power drops off:censored: lol

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Mate, last year at gti inters my car ran a uber rubbish time.....it was pi$$ing it down with rain all day though...

<what was that ??? show you a photo....go on then>

005.jpg

scrap yard ?

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
haha , fair play if it was raining but the sun was cracking pavements up here yesterday , i expected to get at least a low 16 so i was a bit dissapointed , it was however my 1st time doing a quarter mile , and my second run i launched in reverse :cartman: (damn push reverse)

gticupra123

Dec 21, 2008
berkshire
i contacted a palce called the engine shop ( found there advert in the back of pvw) as the y do cams for the 2.0 8v golf which in most cases uses the same engine , they said they could supply a fast road cam for £175+vat , yeah thats what i have heard about decats also but i think the 8v needs a bit more higher up the rev range , as i was able to get off the line and away to change into 3rd gear before vtec kicked in an it went past me , same when racing the fiesta , he was catching me nearer the end when my power drops off:censored: lol

Yeah i know what you mean, i changed at about 5.5k as then when its peak power runs out so would bve nice to have that bit extra.

Don't suppose you have a link for the cam?

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
unfortunatley not mate , i just got the quotation through by email the site link is here , i just contacted them with my engine code and the car make and model and they came back with the quote

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
the car is totaly standard engine wise mate , does having the indicator out make a difference?

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
the air box intake is behind the headlight , so romoving the drivers side indicator would help more airflow , just nuipped and had a look at mine lol

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Yeah, i can bet you others there were running there cars without them. I think gold remove there whole front light.

If you look at some RR snaps on here people will have done the same....Every little helps

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
You should get better than a 16.6 ...I have done better than that on a very greasy surface with a crappy take off ;)
My car is totally standard too (8v)

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
8v's are always gonna run crap 1/4 miles, its not a screaming engine its more of a relentless (albeit not so fast) grunt that you get from one. Quick A and B road blast type engine.

If you wanna run faster times then cams and decats are all wasted money, buy a 16v and start there.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.