question for the Cupra R owners

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Hello. the few and far between.

i have been lucky enough to get my hands on a brand new set of OZ alloys. i am looking at what type of rubber to put on these as there does not seem to be much for this size.

my needs are:

1)i do a lot of miles (around 14K a year) so they need to last !
2)im looking for a fair bit fo grip, (i currently have michilen primacy pilots on at the moment) so anything more than those.
3)I dont mind if they are directional but if they are is it worth it ?
4)also a price that will not leave a huge hole in my wallet. im talking UNDER £100 inc fitting per wheel.

another question is what do you guys use to protect your wheels from everyday crud and brake dust etc. these wheels cost me a lot and i dont want to get them ruined.

Adam

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
I use goodyear eagle F1 GSD 3's which I find are great, they grip well and I payed about £70 per tyre. Unless your running big wheels you should find tyre prices ok. Places I use dont charge for fitting:)

Mine are directional and the garage sorted what way they fit so i wouldnt worry.

You only have a 1.4 dont you? Ive done about 8k with my eagles and they will need replacing soon, you got to remember that unless your careful with your right foot in 1st in the cupra you cant help but spin a little;)

If you have a 1.4 you shouldnt need to worry bout them not lasting unless you give it some

Hope this helps

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
yes i managed to get hold of some

16x7J OZ supperlegga (sp) multispoke cupra alloys brand new too!!

i will probably be selling my cupra alloys once my tires die on that, and saving my R alloys untill the summer.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
yes i managed to get hold of some

16x7J OZ supperlegga (sp) multispoke cupra alloys brand new too!!

i will probably be selling my cupra alloys once my tires die on that, and saving my R alloys untill the summer.

Superleggas are not what come on standard R`s.

But on the tyre front i also run GSD - 3`s find them very good wet or dry.

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
THe eagle F1's are a very soft compound tyre so will wear quicker than other tyres....although saying that I would have nothing else on the front wheels!! :)

They do wear easily but I think ive done ok out of mine to do 8k on them and not forgetting that ive done 3 seperate 1/4 mile days with them, about 20 runs in total:)

Feb 1, 2007
gloucester
i got 3000 miles out of my old eagle f1s that was the front ones obviously , they are very grippy , hence why they wear quick , i had them on my old leon cupra r but it did get drove hard

AaronGS

Jan 8, 2007
Lancashire
I managed to get hold of some F1's (apparently there has been a shortage) and so far haven't found them better than my old yokohama A539's. Thats on standard cupra alloys mind, mate. hoping they are gonna get better!

I'll put my recommendation in for the Hankook Ventus Sport's K104s -- They were directional, had very good grip, compared very well against F1's and T1R's in tests (which I can concur with from experience) and lasted for ages, they were a good all round tyre and performed well in the wet (again from exp! Aquaplaning!!)

The only downside is that they've been superceded... and I've got no experience with the K105 Prime which has a totally different tread pattern!

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
yea sorry i did not mean superleggas (sp) i meant the OZ racing alloys.
what do you guys think of these then :

Toyo PROXES T1-R

Pirelli P ZERO NERO

Yokohama Parada

GT Radial CHAMPIRO HPZ

and dare i say it if i have the money

toyo R888

I know the R888's will / should be amazing due to their race qualities, but i think the life on them may be short lived.

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
yea sorry i did not mean superleggas (sp) i meant the OZ racing alloys.
what do you guys think of these then :

Toyo PROXES T1-R

Pirelli P ZERO NERO

Yokohama Parada

GT Radial CHAMPIRO HPZ

and dare i say it if i have the money

toyo R888

I know the R888's will / should be amazing due to their race qualities, but i think the life on them may be short lived.

I believe you get what you pay for:)