quick shift

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I meant damn you because I have a 5-speed with a different throw mech which I can't work out how you would shorten!!

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
So....

All these pics are taken from the front of the car - I guess the shifter is in the same position in all the leons ;)

General view

N110032010482.jpg

I think its the cable on the right which needs to be closer to the pin to make the throw shorter...

Closer view - its mounted in the most obscure way....

5th10032010491.jpg

Really close up view

10032010485.jpg

From my understanding, the way to get the throw shorter is by moving the cable that deals with the length of throw, closer to the pivot. The way the shifter is made I can't see how that could happen. In theory I guess you could mount it on its side the the upright part of the weighted bit of the shifter, but that would only make it marginally closer if anything...

This is massively different from the shifters I think you guys have?

shortshifter.jpg

So from what I see a shorter throw would basically need a whole new shifter... I wonder if a 6-speed shifter would fit....

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
comparing my pics to the compbrake pic...

It looks to me like the whole thing is the opposite way around- so if I did fit a 6-speed shifter the whole gearbox would basically be the wrong way round? because the cable that deals with the throw is on the right side of the 'box atm, compared to the 6-speed having the 'throwing' cable on the left side of the box. therefore turning the shifter the wrong way. So the only option then would be to rotate the 6-speed shifter round 180, but then the cables would probably have too far too stretch, and I have no idea what would happen to the other cable if I rotated it round.

Damn this is complicated trying to work it out! Basically I need an inverted 6 speed shifter...

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
not sure but i had the golf/leon forge 6 speed petrol one , and even tho it states it doesnt fir tdi's it does with a little tap , , it doesnt seem like much difference but by hell its shorter

i dont even think about it now , unless i drive other cars i then notice :)

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
is this a job a total idiot can perform?
i ask, because if yes, i'll have a go but if not garage.

any good easy (idiot proof) guides that exist.
what do i need to watch out for ?
anything i need to be careful off ?

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
nope i watched my uncle do it for my car , seems pretty straight forward

undo nut , watch how you remove , tap new one on , job done

do you live local to anyone on here whos more of a dab handy man

i have heard some have put onto shortest setting and get trouble getting into certain gears , mine is pretty much shortest and no trouble what so ever ??

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
so, you still happy with yours from compbrake then rich?
if so, will look at both parts for the car as still cheaper than the single forge bit.

cheeky q; do we members get discount with forge?
may not make it that cheap, but all helps

cupra-rich

Dec 28, 2008
coventry
yeah really happy only got the up & down shift though. side to side shift is a mod for later this year for me.
let me know what you think if you get side to side shifter oldman.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members